Re: CreativeNovels. What has your experience been with the site?

ChasedOnHigh Wrote: From what I know and read, it is a rather good site, though not as popular or as refined as RR, so don't expect that there. Still it is a pretty good place to upload your story, especially if it is fantasy or LitRPG.

What exactly makes it "good"? I find it a little strange that a company that says it operates from Wall Street hosts almost nothing but Chinese and Korean works. According to the terms of service, by posting there, you also grant them the rights to use your work "worldwide" without any royalties or compensation, a right which continues for a "commercially reasonable time" even after you delete your work (can mean essentially anything). I also find it pretty weird a platform like this has a shop selling T-shirts and stuff on the side. Whether honorable or not, it's quite clear the site here aims to make well more money than any of the creators. It looks like a sketchier version of webnovel.com and I personally wouldn't post anything there. But it's a free world, so suit yourselves.

I'mFiction Wrote:
ChasedOnHigh Wrote: From what I know and read, it is a rather good site, though not as popular or as refined as RR, so don't expect that there. Still it is a pretty good place to upload your story, especially if it is fantasy or LitRPG.

What exactly makes it "good"? I find it a little strange that a company that says it operates from Wall Street hosts almost nothing but Chinese and Korean works. According to the terms of service, by posting there, you also grant them the rights to use your work "worldwide" without any royalties or compensation, a right which continues for a "commercially reasonable time" even after you delete your work (can mean essentially anything). I also find it pretty weird a platform like this has a shop selling T-shirts and stuff on the side. Whether honorable or not, it's quite clear the site here aims to make well more money than any of the creators. It looks like a sketchier version of webnovel.com and I personally wouldn't post anything there. But it's a free world, so suit yourselves.

No page that hosts free novels will ever be truly perfect.

If you are planning to write a masterpiece that will become a worldwide best seller and has the potential to gain millions in royalties, it is probably not a good idea to upload your work there, as with any other page.

If you are an amateur writer looking to give your work exposure and practice your writing skills by recieving feedback from readers, you probably won't have to face any of those problems you mentioned. We can say all we want about these hosting sites and their potentially sketchy practices, but at the end of the day, we simply want to use their reach to expose our works, and we gain a lot since they don't limit links to donate to your favorite author.

Chrysalis by RinoZ, is one of the most economically sucessfull amateur works I have ever seen, and he hosts his novel on both CreativeNovels and Webnovel.com (And RR, of course), and I don't think he has ever had problems in the time he has been uploading chapters.

I've visited a similar website and read the tos, the 'use worldwide without royalties' etc does not apply to publishing or copy rights. They can't post your novel somewhere else. What it does mean is that they can use the fact that your novel is on their site for advertizing, using snippets and your cover for a banner for example. It would be a massive expenditure if they have to change that if you remove your novel halfway through the campaign, so they're covering their asses. That is how I read it at least. As Average Joe, this is not something you have to worry about.

I'mFiction Wrote:

I hosted a story on the site briefly and those terms weren't in there back then. Honestly, though, it wasn't a great experience. In order for my story to be approved I had to join the official Discord channel and chat with the site owner for quite some time to get some sort of marketing plan. Then despite the story being featured on the front page of the site for weeks, it got literally less than one view per chapter over its first two months. The vast majority of the 150+ chapters did not receive a single view. When I asked about this terrible result I was told that my story was too confusingly laid out, or that the story being on other sites was making readers not care to read here. But there wasn't any support past saying some random guesses as to why the story might not be catching on, which did not give me the confidence that the site was able to market itself beyond being "that place where RR and Scribble Hub authors crosspost their work."

The site feels a lot like most "lower tier" web fiction sites. They have monetization and lots of stories and mobile friendly layouts, but the text editor is not good, the chapter scheduling was a nightmare (this may have been fixed since I left the site), and the site is loaded up with ads in a way that feels more like a clickbait video game news site than a place to read fiction. Ultimately, though, those things would be just fine if the site had interesting, original stories that attract new readers. But for the most part it's just stories from other web fiction sites crossposted, and so it makes those small problems that much more prominent.