Re: A guy raised some good points, but also told me the story is garbage

Basically, he is right in most things he said. But then, he had to go and say bad things and I, the grown up adult I am, am sad now.
Also, he made assumptions on the rest of the story after reading three chapters and while he was right about the parts he read, his reasoning is not valid going onwards later on.
I feel childish, like I am back in elementary school. Why am I sad? Why am I not above? Incapable of just accepting the valid criticism, and ignoring the hate and bad things? Why do I want to prove him wrong, what do I even care? I don't want to care about a stranger on the internet but, it turns out, I do.

Time heals all wounds. Take a break. Things will seem less irritating later.

I will say people doing reviews after only reading a little bit seems kind of lame to me. Every review I've done (except one) I've read the entire available story before writing a review. To me, that's only fair. I can't accurately judge a story without giving it a chance to develop. If I intend to hit the author with suggestions (and I usually do) I want those suggestions to be based on facts and not assumptions.

Ah... well, I can safely say what not to do, because I've done it.

Don't try to conform yourself to things you don't agree with just to prove somebody else wrong. That path leads you down creative dead ends. I've proven many people wrong over the years, but the cost was to spend a lot of precious time and energy going in directions I had no interest in.

Not everybody is going to like what you want to do. Not everybody is going to agree with the way you think it should be done. That's OK. Hardly anybody agrees with me and I'm cool with that.

That said, always dispassionately look at the criticism. If you have a strong reaction to criticism there is a possibility it is touching a nerve. However, if you judge the criticism simply comes down to a difference of opinion, always trust your opinion the most.

xD Oh gods, I'm sorry, but I'm laughing my ass off right now- had a guy roll in last week and do something similar. Felt the exact same thing for the first couple days before I could get my head on straight.

Funny context story, though:
-Comments on the first half of the prologue.
"The hell is this? Some kind of harry potter fanfic? Who cares? why is this even getting read? I'm skipping past chapter 2 to look for some action."
(I have no idea where he got harry potter from btw, honestly the weirdest part.)

-Comments on chapter 3
"Character is an idiot. Clearly has brain damage. Your story is a waste of valuable internet space."

Then he goes down and smacks it with a half star review telling people the MC is an idiot.

Meanwhile, in the chapter he skips:
MC receives what can be assumed to be a concussion style injury with heavy influence on the next chapter xD

Honestly though, yeah, just had to feel it out. Wasn't some magical  'I ignored it'- don't think that's something most people can just do. Felt bad about it, got anoyed, and just made a conscious effort not to respond rudely. Sleeping helped a lot- got a good rest as opposed to a long night and felt so much better, despite how juvenile that probably sounds.

I think a lot if not all authors feel this way. The reason why it hurts is because you care. This isn't just 'something you like', it's your creation and your passion! If someone criticizes the story, they're criticizing you!  We are unfortunately social animals to such an extent that even a stranger has this effect on us.

Take a breather for a day or two, writing while in this mood is going to get worse results than before

As a sidenote, a member nicknamed Gompman does exactly that - read the first three chapters and base the review off of that. My own fiction has rather annoying chapters in the beginning. I'm not going to change it and will just accept that it will put some people off

Why do you want to prove him wrong? Because he attacked your baby, that's why! The thing you've spent hours creating and is, in your mind, the perfect gem gets dragged to the ground, and then some chips are being pointed out on the seemingly perfect surface of your literary jewel. It hurts every time.

I had a reviewer recently who gave my characters 1.5 stars. They said the protagonists are bland, too perfect, and, to sum it up in my own words, rigid and boring meh. In addition, there was a mention of our favorite "show-don't-tell" point (to which is kind of disagree, but maybe I have missed something). How did I feel? It hurt. My heart was bleeding. My lovingly crafted characters had been judged so harshly. What did I do? I wrote the reviewer a PM and thanked them for stating their opinion. Why did I even do that? Because they had a point about how the characters could be perceived. There were indeed instances where one could question their development or lack thereof. Still, I asked the reviewer to stay with the story for a vew more chapters, since I am convinced that the turns the narrative is going to take would resolve, at least partially, their concerns. What reply did I receive? An absolutely positive one! The reviewer was a very nice person and stated that despite their dissatisfaction with the characters they are willing to continue reading further due to other aspects of the story partially making up for its shortcomings. 

In the end, I had a positive experience with this negative reviewer. It gave me the chance to see another angle of how my characters are perceived. This, of course, is not something that we can always expect from a salty reviewer. Mine was harsh but, non the less, very polite and their points were a genuine concern for a work they liked reading. And this is the type of critique I'm willing to take into my heart, cherish, and try to build on. If, on the other hand, a review's only purpose is to trash a work, so that the reviewer can feel dominant over a poor author, then this is a review that you ignore and never give a second thought to. Haters will be haters. Trolls will be trolls. The toll of crossing a troll-bridge is the author's selfesteem. But on the other side of it emerges a hero with a spine of steel and a feather of gold. Every fight is an improvement - if not of our writing, then at least of our own character and mentality.  

Just write the story you want to write. Not every story is for everyone, and if you try to write to please every critic then you'll end up with something that no one is pleased with.

If the criticism that person wrote opened your eyes to flaws in your story, and you realize that maybe you'd rather start over and fix those issues, then that criticism is the kind that can help you grow. But you can also just acknowledge it and keep going your own way. You don't have to change anything. Write the story you want to write.

Everyone has an opinion, just because someone's opinion makes sense doesn't make them right.

@luca de rosa

Can't say I've had a lot of success trying to reason with the unreasonable online and I've had long experience.

Online anonymity + people looking to start arguments with intentionally contentious comments = intractable opinions.

Get the Cold Turkey app if it's bothering your mental state and block Royal Road for a day or a few days.

Nothing wrong with being hurt by harsh words. Some people are just jerks and want to complain and rant. Getting something you care about, something you have put time and effort into, really does hurt...and there is no shame in that. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Take the good criticism, use it if you can, feel your feelings over the insults, and keep writing!

TurkeyBlock Wrote: Then he goes down and smacks it with a half star review telling people the MC is an idiot.

This seems like the go-to phrase for people who think they are smarter than the MC. Or they would do something a different way than the MC. I just assume these people have very little experience with actual intelligent people. Intelligent people do dumb stuff just as often as dumb people.

mmarkgraf Wrote:
TurkeyBlock Wrote: Then he goes down and smacks it with a half star review telling people the MC is an idiot.

This seems like the go-to phrase for people who think they are smarter than the MC. Or they would do something a different way than the MC. I just assume these people have very little experience with actual intelligent people. Intelligent people do dumb stuff just as often as dumb people.

Indeed. Most commenters seem to have a problem when the MC does dumb stuff. I challenge you to enumerate the people you know who NEVER did anything dumb in their life. 

Smart people? The can be dumb, emotional, irrational, downright stupid.
Commenters often think that the MC has to be a machine intelligence or something, only operating inside it's rules and never ever being an actual human being

It sucks when people who don't know the difference between criticism and condemning start commenting and writing reviews. I'm sure you'd give a fair review. It's only natural to be put off when you get one that isn't.
But the complainers drone on - the MC boring, or stupid, or the reader doesn't like them for some other personal reason that they may or may not reveal. 
Sure, if I'm reading, and the MC has a personality that I'd find disagreeable in real life, I won't be as inclined to keep reading, but it's not a judgement on how the character is written - he or she, or it, could be brilliantly depicted. And even if it isn't the case, other readers might love the character. So if I was reviewing, I'd pay attention to those to aspects, and try to keep my feelings out of it. 
 I agree that reviews at early chapters are kind of a ropey deal anyway - especially if the reviewer thinks, as already mentioned, they can see the future. Or maybe so used to stories where everything about the character is dumped into chapter one, actually believes there's nothing more to discover ... 
But all the members here can contribute reviews, so, I guess there's going to be all kinds. Give yourself a break. You know which parts of the review you got are valid and which aren't. Dismissing a book as garbage (something other readers should throw out) might even be against the review rules. It does sounds more like a troll than anything, IMO.

Writing is a D.I.Y. enterprise. No review is a review if it is not based on reading the novel, not a few chapters of it. Someone can question say, the early development, or process, or spelling, or hook, or logic development, or character development implicit in the material they have read, or note that the topic doesn't interest them.  If they do, it would be of use only if they can detail their disappointments. Unlike line edits, these details largely shape a reader profile, tell you who is not in your stories audience. To include them, some of those details could be a useful guide, but DIY, it is up to you for whom and what you write. It is given that this is not a vetted platform, and that an editorial board has not shaped what is presented for a particular consumer to any detailed degree. Many looking for a certain motif will stumble across your work, and for some it will not meet their mark. That's fine, but regardless of good efforts in line editing, unless the reviewer makes explicit what he /she is looking for in a story, unhelpful to you. In such cases you just have to shrug and move on. You can't critique a plot until you have read the story. If they do not like it, you can choose to redevelop to include that audience or not. As a matter of craft, it is given that expertise comes with practice and over time. Just continue on your path of self development and plot development skill.  Even if the review was, to some, accurate, it says nothing about your journey as an author except that the road is sometimes longer than one would like. There is no reason to be shaken or self recriminating. At this level of publication the audience is certainly getting more than their money's worth, as it cost them nothing.  I wouldn't spend any time emoting over that sort of thing.

Don't worry, you'll get great reviews in the future just hang in there. My story for example on ever gets reviewed at chapter 6 so I see some of the same things all the time. I'll go back and edit and what not but in the end, I just said, "screw it my future chapters will all be better."

If you get a good group of followers or regulars who comment on your story, then you can chat with them and discuss what they are expecting/enjoying. In the end though the story is about you. I use to obsess about trying to get fantastic reviews and followers but now I write the story I want and my friends from back home can enjoy reading it.

Trolls will be trolls so there is nothing you can do. I'll give your story a review when I'm done with the list I currently have :D