Re: How to present a multi-part story?

The topic could be a somewhat confusing, so I need to explain a bit. I have divided the story I’m writing (at least in my mind) in three parts. I’m currently posting part one but in a couple of weeks it will be finished. Therefore, I want to ask the experienced writers – how to proceed from here, or rather, what do readers prefer? Is it better to have it as completed work and start the second part as a new post? Or is it preferable for the reads if I continue the story without interruption and just have a transition chapter and “Book2” in the new chapter titles? (I personally get a heart attack when I see works with hundreds and thousands of chapters, but I am aware that a large portion of the community likes that…) peoconfused

I understand that this is not a huge issue, but still would like some advice on what is better so that my readers can continue to follow the story they like.

FAHyatt Wrote: ? As in part one part two Part three? or vol 1 vol 2 vol 3?  It there a specific reason for not writing a trilogy?  I couldnt say if one was more acceptable than another.

Exactly a trilogy. I decided to ask how best to post it since I am a bit unsure wheter to post each part of the trilogy seperately (meaning having 3 Fictions on my page) or just continue writing in the old post (the one fiction I currently have). For example @Ramingo says it is easier for them to follow the story if all parts reamin together as one big work...

I've tried both approaches, and I've found that putting everything in one book works better. I'm posting a trilogy right now on Royal Road, so you can feel free to reference that if you'd like.

This is especially true when there's no feature to follow authors. The best you can do is post an author's note informing your readers about the next book, but readers more likely to miss a single note (one notification) than they are to miss all the new chapter notifications.

Also, the more chapters a single book has, the higher you'll be on the Popular This Week rankings. More chapters == more views. Posting separate books in a trilogy means that you're cutting your total views by 1/3.

Finally, people on this site are used to long stories. If they stumble across a sequel on its own, they're more likely to be confused, and they might not bother looking for Book 1 in the series.

David Wrote: I've tried both approaches, and I've found that putting everything in one book works better. I'm posting a trilogy right now on Royal Road, so you can feel free to reference that if you'd like.

This is especially true when there's no feature to follow authors. The best you can do is post an author's note informing your readers about the next book, but readers more likely to miss a single note (one notification) than they are to miss all the new chapter notifications.

Also, the more chapters a single book has, the higher you'll be on the Popular This Week rankings. More chapters == more views. Posting separate books in a trilogy means that you're cutting your total views by 1/3.

Finally, people on this site are used to long stories. If they stumble across a sequel on its own, they're more likely to be confused, and they might not bother looking for Book 1 in the series.

Thank you so much for the great advice! I had a feeling that the longer version would be the better thing to but still struggled to come to terms with the peculiarities of online publishing (I'm somehow still always thinking in traditional publishing terms...).