Re: Wattpad. Is it worth posting a LitRPG there?

Ankur_93 Wrote: Hey there! I am writing a LitRPG story based on Buddhist/Hindu philosophies. The MC is a reincarnated monster that has little motivation to be human again. The setting is grimdark and the story fast-paced. Should I post such a story on Wattpad? Has anyone here posted their story there? What was the response? And how was your experience?

Unless your writing a 50 shades clone or a fan fic with fanservice in it and having thapters that are under to arouns 2k words long then it's really now worth. I've been there for years writing a fantasy story and I can tell you that I've gotton more growth from puting up a few chapters here then I even did putting out ten times aht amount. Even the poeple who do comment it's not really insightful. I only came across a few people who gave me worth while feedback and this is mind you after I've been there for years.

Oh and the community is... not anything I've ever wanted to mingle with. 

I still post there out of habbit and routene but im working of moving myself off Wattpad to be here more offten.

Wattpad is definitely past its prime. I was able to gain a major following there (100k followers) back in 2016, but that was before their ranking algorithms broke. Right now, my Royal Road following is tiny by comparison (630), but it actually increases at a faster rate (40+ followers per month vs. maybe 5–10 on Wattpad.)

If I had to start fresh on Wattpad in 2020, I probably wouldn’t bother. I still continue to post my current series there, but I'm debating if I'll post my next one.

It is actually possible to find mature readers on Wattpad, contrary to what some people say (most of my beta readers and Patrons came from there) However, the company itself has done its share of shady things. For example, they’re notorious for deleting people’s stories/accounts without stating their reasons, and they’ve admitted to reading users’ private messages. Many of the site admins and moderators post their own stories there, which is a major conflict of interest. I've seen several instances where accounts vanished after having disagreements with these staff members.

There was also a data leak this year, and the company did a terrible job releasing a statement and informing their users. Dozens of third party news sites released articles about it, while the company itself did and said nothing. This is a company that won’t hesitate to fill your inbox with their own book announcements, yet it took them weeks to acknowledge the data leak or to encourage their users to change their passwords.

David Wrote: Wattpad is definitely past its prime. I was able to gain a major following there (100k followers) back in 2016, but that was before their ranking algorithms broke. Right now, my Royal Road following is tiny by comparison (630), but it actually increases at a faster rate (40+ followers per month vs. maybe 5–10 on Wattpad.)

If I had to start fresh on Wattpad in 2020, I probably wouldn’t bother. I still continue to post my current series there, but I'm debating if I'll post my next one.

It is actually possible to find mature readers on Wattpad, contrary to what some people say (most of my beta readers and Patrons came from there) However, the company itself has done its share of shady things. For example, they’re notorious for deleting people’s stories/accounts without stating their reasons, and they’ve admitted to reading users’ private messages. Many of the site admins and moderators post their own stories there, which is a major conflict of interest. I've seen several instances where accounts vanished after having disagreements with these staff members.

There was also a data leak this year, and the company did a terrible job releasing a statement and informing their users. Dozens of third party news sites released articles about it, while the company itself did and said nothing. This is a company that won’t hesitate to fill your inbox with their own book announcements, yet it took them weeks to acknowledge the data leak or to encourage their users to change their passwords.

Thank you. This was insightful. :)

D-S-Nate Wrote:
Ankur_93 Wrote: Hey there! I am writing a LitRPG story based on Buddhist/Hindu philosophies. The MC is a reincarnated monster that has little motivation to be human again. The setting is grimdark and the story fast-paced. Should I post such a story on Wattpad? Has anyone here posted their story there? What was the response? And how was your experience?

Unless your writing a 50 shades clone or a fan fic with fanservice in it and having thapters that are under to arouns 2k words long then it's really now worth. I've been there for years writing a fantasy story and I can tell you that I've gotton more growth from puting up a few chapters here then I even did putting out ten times aht amount. Even the poeple who do comment it's not really insightful. I only came across a few people who gave me worth while feedback and this is mind you after I've been there for years.

Oh and the community is... not anything I've ever wanted to mingle with. 

I still post there out of habbit and routene but im working of moving myself off Wattpad to be here more offten.

That's a shame. Such a waste base of readers gone to waste. 

The main reader base there is Romance and schoolyard YA.  It is not known to be friendly to Fantasy or SF otherwise. They no longer have an associated social connection or threadbase, as they removed it entirely and without advance notice following some questions about their ability to monitor posts. Apparently, out of pique, though this is a guess based on how and when it was done. It was an extensive social chat system that encouraged non topical chatter and disappeared overnight. No one was informed far enough in advance to back up anything.  However, if you have a Bad Boy teen Romance sitting around, it would likely get read there still. It attracts poachers like crazy though,  and uses a "coin" script system to reimburse hand selected authors only, who's work resides behind a paywall where apparently you "bank" your script in advance purchased from Wattpad, and trust them to handle your money. The average penguin there sees none of it.  In the end, its up to you.

FAHyatt Wrote: The main reader base there is Romance and schoolyard YA.  It is not known to be friendly to Fantasy or SF otherwise. They no longer have an associated social connection or threadbase, as they removed it entirely and without advance notice following some questions about their ability to monitor posts. Apparently, out of pique, though this is a guess based on how and when it was done. It was an extensive social chat system that encouraged non topical chatter and disappeared overnight. No one was informed far enough in advance to back up anything.  However, if you have a Bad Boy teen Romance sitting around, it would likely get read there still. It attracts poachers like crazy though,  and uses a "coin" script system to reimburse hand selected authors only, who's work resides behind a paywall where apparently you "bank" your script in advance purchased from Wattpad, and trust them to handle your money. The average penguin there sees none of it.  In the end, its up to you.

Thank you. this was informitive. :)

I'm not too conscious of reads and stats (I've been burned before) but from the little I've seen, Fantasy stories can fare well on Wattpad. At least, compared to more little read genres like Historical (In our place, Historical fics that do get read are still largely Romance and Fantasy but labeling Historical would get them less competition) There is a reader base although not as big as those for Romance and YA. I'm not sure for LitRPG itself, though.

I believe one reason it might be easier to gain reads here on Fantasy works or most in general is because there might be a smaller number of users here compared to Wattpad. In our country alone, Apparently, there are 7 million of us in Watty. Posting your work in there might be shouting into the void. On the flipside, if you do manage to make it there, there is a big chance that readers will read most of your work. (Some authors from our country have a loyal, and I mean LOYAL, fanbase). But making it there takes a lot of work in terms of promotion and networking especially with the forums down.

Having 100 reads is big already  (at least for my non-promoting self). In Wattpad though, you have to get yourself out there for your work to really be seen. My work, I believe, gained traction after I asked for a critique from a well-known user that readers who follow her critiques got to see mine. Others get theirs in Read for Read clubs, but it is rare you find someone who stay to read your story beyond the required reading. You bring your work to readers, not the other way around.

Wattpad, A hit or miss maybe?

Sam Wrote: I'm not too conscious of reads and stats (I've been burned before) but from the little I've seen, Fantasy stories can fare well on Wattpad. At least, compared to more little read genres like Historical (In our place, Historical fics that do get read are still largely Romance and Fantasy but labeling Historical would get them less competition) There is a reader base although not as big as those for Romance and YA. I'm not sure for LitRPG itself, though.

I believe one reason it might be easier to gain reads here on Fantasy works or most in general is because there might be a smaller number of users here compared to Wattpad. In our country alone, Apparently, there are 7 million of us in Watty. Posting your work in there might be shouting into the void. On the flipside, if you do manage to make it there, there is a big chance that readers will read most of your work. (Some authors from our country have a loyal, and I mean LOYAL, fanbase). But making it there takes a lot of work in terms of promotion and networking especially with the forums down.

Having 100 reads is big already  (at least for my non-promoting self). In Wattpad though, you have to get yourself out there for your work to really be seen. My work, I believe, gained traction after I asked for a critique from a well-known user that readers who follow her critiques got to see mine. Others get theirs in Read for Read clubs, but it is rare you find someone who stay to read your story beyond the required reading. You bring your work to readers, not the other way around.

Wattpad, A hit or miss maybe?

That is very complex then. 

Ankur_93 Wrote:
Sam Wrote: I'm not too conscious of reads and stats (I've been burned before) but from the little I've seen, Fantasy stories can fare well on Wattpad. At least, compared to more little read genres like Historical (In our place, Historical fics that do get read are still largely Romance and Fantasy but labeling Historical would get them less competition) There is a reader base although not as big as those for Romance and YA. I'm not sure for LitRPG itself, though.

Wattpad, A hit or maybe?

I would agree.  Btw, did a quick search and there are 899 stories listed tagged as LitRPG (There are some results from our country so it is pretty bigger than I thought it was but some non-litRPG stories are mixed in). The highest number I found was near 400 thousand reads, peaked at 2016? 
The lowest number was around 200 +, had 18 parts, and the first part posted late-July. User was new but quite active in posting stories. 
I just decided to do a quick search so I could see because I've never looked into the LitRPG side there. 

Sam Wrote:
Ankur_93 Wrote:

Wattpad, A hit or maybe?

I would agree.  Btw, did a quick search and there are 899 stories listed tagged as LitRPG (There are some results from our country so it is pretty bigger than I thought it was but some non-litRPG stories are mixed in). The highest number I found was near 400 thousand reads, peaked at 2016? 
The lowest number was around 200 +, had 18 parts, and the first part posted late-July. User was new but quite active in posting stories. 
I just decided to do a quick search so I could see because I've never looked into the LitRPG side there.

Thank you. I'll keep it in mind. :)