Re: Writing process

I was wondering about writing processes for a while. And I don't mean how you handle plots, outlines and such. I mean real writing, the act, and what comes after.
For me it's like this:
  • Read my outline; curse a random god because the grammar is awful, I can't understand one bit of what I wrote in there, it's confused, and half the words are in Italian
  • Write a chapter following the outline. Some paragraphs seem to come from my muse herself while others are like getting a tooth removed
  • Re-read; curse another couple of gods
  • Send my WIP to Damiano (my friend and worldbuilding master. Also the creator of a couple of characters)
  • Wait until he reads it and greelights the chapter
  • Edit the work following his comments and suggestions; ignore most of them
  • Repeat the sending the WIP step and what comes after
  • ???
  • Publish

Luca Wrote: ignore most of them

:DrakanWine:
Hm, I would doubt myself.

How I do it.

1. Procrastinate.
2. Make a pause
3. Another pause (After taking a pause one is exhausted from doing nothing and needs another pause)
4. Use true pantser power (I work with themes; I have themes for 300 chapters in advance without really planing the plot, though I do know all major turning points and how the story ends, memorized in my head)
5. Finish your 2k chapter in 6 hours
6. Read it for 30 mins
7. Publish it
8. 5 mins after publishing, change 10+ grammar mistakes, you suddenly realize were there
9. Wait eagerly for comments about grammar mistakes
10. Correct

Writing process ,the JK-sama way
  • Procrastinate for a ungodly amount of time between chapter updates (this is important)
  • Procrastinate some more
  • If most recent chapter was published, open Scrivener and go to next document but leave it blank for an ungodly amount of time
  • Get distracted by playing video games or anime, or something
  • Don't actually write, but listen to music and envision how a scene plays out in head, rather I'm at home or work (likely work since I get bored easier), maybe scribble outline for next 9 chapters but most likely won't utilize 90% of it
  • Oh god it's near the next deadline already, poop out as much words as brain can muster
  • When content with chapter after 7~8 hours in 2k~3k range, compile it for use in Grammarly
  • Make changes side-by-sde on dual monitor setup
  • When complete, recompile in Scrivener and import it to google docs
  • Do the same thing, make changes side-by-side
  • Recompile finalized chapter and import to Royalroad (before I got prem, I would painstakingly re-put in every italic and bold stuff so that used to be extra time wasted)
  • Publish, self promo plugs in some Discords and on twitter
  • Repeat from first step
peodead

Luca Wrote: Why did you need premium to do italics? I just copy and paste from pc and all of that formatting is preserved.

Prem has an option to import documents from other sources which preserves formatting automatically, which include italics and bolded texts. It never preserved when i copy paste from Scrivener directly but it might be a issue with that program in particular, it might work in other word apps though. Regardless it's a excuse to support the site since I don't have to redo any reformatting, 

DrakanMelt

JK-sama Wrote:
Luca Wrote: Why did you need premium to do italics? I just copy and paste from pc and all of that formatting is preserved.

Prem has an option to import documents from other sources which preserves formatting automatically, which include italics and bolded texts. It never preserved when i copy paste from Scrivener directly but it might be a issue with that program in particular, it might work in other word apps though. Regardless it's a excuse to support the site since I don't have to redo any reformatting,

The site has trouble with scrivener, I've heard, but I haven't had issues with copypasta from google docs, word or openoffice writer

Try to find a theme.  Scour youtube and spotify for interesting songs.  Listen to them.  Continue listening to them.  Resent the encrouching workday for getting in your way.  Continue listening to music.  Cheer when you have a good idea!  Curse that it's 2:30 AM and far too late to write.  Write it anyway.  Get very little sleep and behave dickishly towards your customers.  Come home and chortle in glee at your dozens of new views.  It's lonely at the bottom, but somehow still a lot of fun.

My process usually involves lots and lots of confusion:
- Read previous chapter because I totally forgot what I wrote + edit it.
- Be confused because I totally forgot what my plot even was.
- Be confused about why I chose to write this story.
- Fall into a semi-fugue state and vomit words onto google docs.
- Forget about the chapter until the next day (or whenever I decide to edit it.)
- Read the chapter to refresh my memory and continue to be confused.
- Reply on forums when I'm supposed to be writing, like right now.
- Somehow have a semi-coherent story. I think it's coherent. I'm not really sure.

The Magnificent writing process:

1. Remember where the old chapter left off
2. Look at my character outlines so I remember what each character's style is
3. Close my laptop/go on youtube and forget to write
4. few days pass
5. sudden major muse to write a chapter
6. repeat steps 1 and 2
7. envision what I want for the chapter based on the outline
8. write what comes to mind as I go
9. GRAMMARLY
10. publish and sleep

I have a hard time re-reading my chapters... like, a HARD time. My head starts hurting after the first line, so I usually just publish it and hope people like it, but I'm working on getting someone to be my version of your WIP

My writing process is almost randomized. 

-Go in with an end goal for my chapter
-Grab my D&D dice because I’m writing a D&D inspired story and I want the fates to decide the outcome.
-Roll for things to see how I should write something.
-Procrastinate a lot and feel discouraged for not being good at writing.
-Think about my four followers and how I owe it to them to write a chapter.
-Produce on in a week or two between the other things in my life.
-Briefly check for spelling errors or grammar problems.
-Release

Most of my writing is done on the subway after I learn the results.

Mine is like:

Sit down. Checking social media and RR on my phone just in case, get lost a good half an hour.

Realise that the screen of my laptop went dark.

Start writing. 

Write circa 300 words, check how much I wrote, being surprised it was only 300 word.

Take a break. Procrastinate a bit. Another social media turn.

Sit back, read the first 300 words, freaking out how bad it was, edit it.

Repeat until reach circa 1000 words, the daily target.

Grammarly. (How did I missed that, what an idiot am I...)

Then wait for my girlfriend to read it, gave up on writing two-three times and checking the chapter supposed to be posted next (occasionally freaking out how bad that is and edit it again).