Re: A Turtle Would Beat Me in a Writing Race

Hey guys, I'm interested to know what you all would consider a normal writing speed?

Personally, I feel like I'm an extremely slow writer, taking hours to pump out a single 2k word chapter.  I feel like a large part of it is that I spend too much time rewriting and analyzing my past work.  When I get into the zone and just let my thoughts flow through my fingers, my speed increases by quite a bit.

Do you guys find yourselves spitting words out as soon as a thought enters your head?  
Or are you the type that spends minutes staring at a blank screen, fingers off the keyboard?

It’s hard to get started. When I start a writing project I might struggle with a page a day, and if I get into it as a regular thing I can go close to 1k words or more a day depending on how focused I am, and probably more if I apply myself properly. But I’m mostly slow because when I get over the excitement of doing a writing project and leave it on hiatus it takes me quite a while to get back into things. I’d say I only really write in one “sprint” of regular productivity every year or so, and the rest of the time it’s pretty sparse where I’d only do fragmentary things like an interesting title, outlines, worldbuilding, and a poetic paragraph or so, every now and the 

I Wrote: I'd race an amoeba if I want a chance at winning, but recently I talked to someone who wrote a 20k chapter in a day...

I'd love to see that race!  And 20k in a day... That's crazy talk! Took me about a month of heavy and inspired writing to break the 20k mark.  I wonder how polished it is?

Endless Wrote: But I’m mostly slow because when I get over the excitement of doing a writing project and leave it on hiatus it takes me quite a while to get back into things.

This is a worry of mine.  That if I take an extended break, I might forget my characters and plot details.

A few hours for a several-thousand word chapter isn't slow. Anyone can write thousands of words per day. The goal is to write good words. Everyone's first drafts are bad, but if you're writing 10k words per day, your first drafts are going to be so bad they're not worth editing (and definitely not worth reading.) It's like a visual artist eating paint, vomitting on a canvas and calling the result art. There's a difference between writing and regurgitating (often stereotypes, cliches and other unpleasant things) and, as a writer, you shouldn't feel bad just because other writers know how to puke.

;)

Quote:but recently I talked to someone who wrote a 20k chapter in a day...

I think I know who that is lol

Personally I think the trick is to reduce editing as much as possible because editing tends to be a monumental time sink. One pass at editing should be the most you do, but to achieve that and keep quality high your initial writing needs to be of a certain quality which is hard to do and maintain a high writing speed.

Simplifying writing style helps with this, a more workman like style of writing is easier to stream out than a more flowery style of writing while maintaining quality.

Deadlines man, deadlines. It's one thing to give yourself three hours to write a few thousand words, and another thing entirely to give yourself 60 seconds to write a paragraph. The first one is completely abstract for me; it's like my brain can't handle how much time that actually is and I dwindle down to nothing, constantly editing what I just wrote. Try the one minute deadline though, it helps me jog my brain at least. Usually when I need to write something fast, I just tell myself to do that ten times and then I give myself another five minutes to edit the whole thing.

It's exhausting though, brain always being in high-output mode. Then again, being in a perpetual edit-mode is exhausting too... 

normancrane Wrote: It's like a visual artist eating paint, vomitting on a canvas and calling the result art.

;)

OMG, this comparison is AMAZING! 

Thanks for all the comments and replies guys.  There's some good insight here.  
I think i'll try and just keep writing everyday and mainly ignore the word count.  As long as I'm writing, I'm making progress.

I'm sludge slow. I'm ferociously fast. And I'm sporadically stupid. It can take me hours to put together two thousand words. Another few hours and those words fall to fifteen hundred or grow to five thousand. Some days I can put War and Peace down in a matter of minutes but half of it has nothing to do with the current story or said stories current situation. I also like to roll the dice sometimes (D&D style) and see who lives and who dies in a conflict or whether they go left or right. Makes for some serious rethinking when it's one of the main characters that dies.