Re: Are chapter updates where it's just a break for illustrations or inserts of lore guide okay or do readers (...)

(Apologies in advance, this is a total newbie question, I'm sure!)

I saw a few stories that do it and I actually thought it was really cool, especially in some of the stories around here that have art inserts. I didn't know if there were any hard rules about minimum word counts per chapter or if it's acceptable to have chapter updates where it's basically just an illustration insert (sort of like if you have an illustration insert between chapters in a physical copy of a light novel.)

Similarly, I saw another story with a break between chapters for a lore guide insert and I also thought that was really neat. I wouldn't mind seeing that sort of thing with extended character profiles or other things that elaborate on people's worlds and characters.

If there's no rule against it, I would love to do that sort of thing, but not if it's frowned upon. 

Are there rules or reader expectations against making updates like that?

Re: Are chapter updates where it's just a break for illustrations or inserts of lore guide okay or do readers (...)

There are no rules against it, though a chapter needs a minimum of 500 words to be able to be published, I think. 

There are multiple novels that do things like this and whether or not it is acceptable, I'd say 'it depends'. If it happens too often for trivial information I didn't really care about, I'd dislike it. If it contains spoilers, please don't. If it answers some questions I had which may otherwise remain unanswered, yeah, sure. If it just looks very cool, I'm fine with it too.

Personally I insert illustrations into chapters themselves rather than a chapter dedicated to them (since you still need to come up with 500 words anyway). There are people that are interested in art, and then there are people who couldn't care less about them, so I think it'd be a waste if people glossed over art-dedicated chapters without a second thought. I think it would be better eyecandy if it was in a actual chapter itself since, well, people have to look it. 

It might be selfish as a author but I think it's worth the money if you happened to commissioned it or worked hard on it if you draw yourself. In the end people come here to RRL to oogle at pretty words. Pretty art is just a added treat.

It wouldn't hurt to also make a thread in art for your illustrations as some people have done already. But that might spoiler people who haven't yet read it yet if it's crucial to the story, but it can be interesting to see how events lead up to that pic too.

As for lore guides... it could depend? If it literally just outlines the story and spoils the story or whatever, then I would advise against it. I did something along the lines of this myself starting out, and boy does it haunt me. You could do it, though, and spoil-tag the whole text while letting the viewer know that this may spoil the story or whatever, and link to the next story chapter in case they don't want to ruin their experience. I'd say it would depend, really. 

I’ve literally written stuff with less than 500 words so I can definitely confirm it’s not 500 words but 500 characters instead. Also people do “insert” updates that aren’t technically chapters all the time. It could be maps, announcements, art, Author QnA, Art, Character Art, character lists, lore trivia, a summary of events that already happened, etc, etc.

In fact these insert breaks also serve as an even stronger break between chapters, which leaves the transition between the previous actual chapter and the next feeling even more significant if it’s the end of a book, arc, or any sub-part of the story. Being a transitional update, I also usually prefer them as “between” chapters instead of being the last update for a while so that getting to them immediately transitions into the next chapter excitement. Otherwise if it’s at the very ending where I already feel satisfied with the previous conclusion of the story.