Re: Hero's summoned to another world make no sense.

Thedude3445 Wrote: I don't think the setup is the reason most of these stories are bad... Really if you think about it, why doesn't the God or Goddess just fix the problem themself? Because that would be a boring story (usually).

And most gods as they are described in these stories could probably create some being that is absolutely loyal their cause and has the correct aggressive mindset for anti-demon warfare, even if they can't directly meddle and just BAM solve everything.

Some people here might want to check out Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions to see a isekai-ed paladin before isekai was a thing (or at least as we know it).

It is extremely different, not too unlike how modern 'tolkien-style' fantasy is extremely different from Lord of the Rings or Conan the Cimmerian is extremely different from the barbarian hero most people imagine.

Such is the way of fiction it seems, as conventions become conventional the inspiration of those conventions becomes more and more different from them.

In many cases the hero summoned to another world makes no sense and is really just a set up the audience suspends disbelief with. But there are others where it does make sense and there is a lot of story potential in justifying it.

The idea seems uninspiring for one simple reason: it is often told and explored in the same way (i.e. it is often poorly written), which makes it seem like the idea doesn't make much sense...

When this has potential, the heroes are invoked by unreliable characters, even of dubious morality, which leads the protagonists to ask themselves a legitimate question: are they fighting for the right side?

The problem is that very often this kind of story is either isekai or very badly written, and much more often than the rest, made as a revenge story for a hero who was ultimately an idiot unable to see what was going on around him (thus making it difficult to feel any sympathy for him and making the plot feel very forced).

In short, great classics, and almost always accompanied by huge problems of world construction.

When you read this kind of thing, it is difficult to have a good opinion of this sub-genre, since the authors who will write with this particular trope will often be the ones who are not bothered by all the problems related to these stories, but who, on the contrary, know how to appreciate them in spite of their endless mountain of problems and poor quality (which means that they will often reproduce the same poorly written things they like. Hell yeah.).

But I have a big question for you: why invoke humans from another world and give them the status of heroes, when many other parameters are possible?

Why not write the opposite? What would happen if humans were invoked to serve as soldiers, or even cannon fodder in a war that is totally beyond them? After all, there is always a lack of volunteers to do the dirty jobs that people do not want.

This can make a fabulous guideline for the story (that's what I chose for mine, so the mood of the story is rather dark and mature), but it requires configuring the construction of the world and the plot to respond to it in an intelligent and coherent way (I only started to be satisfied with the parameters after the thirtieth revision of the key points, so that the story is coherent).

I hope my thoughts can be useful.

Its a very common thing in fiction to have these sort of accepted tropes that when you really get down to it don't make all that logical sense or feel like convoluted plot devices. The being summoned to the other world to be a hero one is one such example. Another is the idea of a "chosen one" or the "save the princess kidnapped by a demon king". 

Personally, the princess one really gets to me. Like not only is she treated respectfully after her kidnapping (i.e. The demon king doesn't rape or torture her), but after her saving there are no questions about her purity and anything that might have happened while she was kidnapped. Like this trope is often used in medieval based societies where a lady's reputation was everything, but instead they make it seem so nice and fairy tale like to the point that it annoys me.