Re: What happened to “In Loki's Honor”

Author here. This notice is official.

This is what happened:

There was one incident where a merchant that bought MC as a child proceed to do "bad stuff" to MC while he was changing her diapers. The only mention to anything sexual was the phrase "and then he touched my _____ (word for the crease where leg joins torso). A RR representative contacted me and I changed it to "Then he did bad stuff to me like the Munchkin monsters do to heroes when they lose".

MC proceeds to unlock her hidden powers and kill the merchant.

Of course I didn't intend to infringe on anything or make any eulogy to the act. The fact the perpetrator is immediately punished was, IMHO, enough to curb any undertones before they started. Instead of fighting back, I decided to let it slip.

That incident over, there was a second report.

Plot premises:

1. The characters were not humans. Mermaids.

2. A famine where food was being severely rationed. Nobody was eating enough to sustain themselves.

The scene that triggered it all:

MC had a special power that made her need 96% less food than normal. She still took her normal rations but envious characters were watching them eat. The assumption was that her rations would be stripped away if she didn't need them.

She wanted to give her rations to her mother. The way she found to do that was to pretend she was eating, keep the chewed food from being swallowed, then give it to her mother mouth-to-mouth. There is a reference of the mother moaning as she consumed the food.

The scene above was what caused the story to be temporarily deleted. Let's keep the emphasis on the word, "moan".

What followed was that the RR representative tried to contact me via message, which promptly drowned under HUNDREDS of messages I got from my readers. When they couldn't get an answer from me, the RR representative deleted the fiction.

There was a tense back-and-forth in Support (I still haven't decided if I should or not disclose the thread) where the Rep insisted that the scene was sexual in nature.

Let's pause for a moment to consider the setting. We have a non-human culture, in a fantasy world, in a famine, where a daughter was giving her mother food mouth-to-mouth.

Were them harpies, the same thing would happen in reverse. Harpies give their chicks food mouth-to-mouth, or beak to beak.

Is a mother kissing her daughter's lips sexual? In what context, in what culture. Here, on IRL Earth, it is common in several cultures, including Western ones. But the Rep latched into the word "moan", and decided to make her stand.

In the end, I decided to change the text to something the Rep agreed didn't have any sexual undertones. Long live the gormandizing groan.

That got the fiction reinstated, but to this day leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I have HUNDREDS of stances in which the word "moan" is used regarding to food in fiction catalogued.

But that wasn't the hill I decided to die on.

Fast forward to today, I am back to publishing chapters of ILH after undergoing psychiatric treatment, in no short measure helped by the events described above.

Llamadragon Wrote: Seems there was a scene involving sex with a minor. Didn't read it so I don't know how offensive and now it's apparently edited out, but, well, it's "In Loki's Honor".

THAT NEVER HAPPENED.

There was no sex scenes with a minor, ever. I wouldn't touch a keyboard to write that kind of thing under any circumstances. Check my post above, I explained the incident in detail.

I'mFiction Wrote: Sounds like a pretty absurd case, if you are honest. None of that is actually against the rules. Of course, the rules also contain the line: "Royal Road reserves the right to reject anything and everything regardless of the rules stated here", which leaves the author very little say in the matter. But it's still a laughable overreaction.
Wing has stated that it's a no questions asked, no exceptions rule. It's the strictest rule on the site, so this is to be expected. 

I'mFiction Wrote: But it's still a laughable overreaction.

Definitely looked that way at the time in both cases.

First time, reincarnated MC was taken from home as a baby by a merchant for... immoral purposes. Just enough description to make it clear what said merchant is trying to do. She responded with shock, horror, and immediate, lethal violence to the Very Bad Man.

RR acted like MDW was promoting that stuff.

Second time, it was clear MC was sneaking food to her starving mother. Misinterpreting that passage speaks more about the reader than the author.

rgreads Wrote:
I'mFiction Wrote: But it's still a laughable overreaction.

Definitely looked that way at the time in both cases.

First time, reincarnated MC was taken from home as a baby by a merchant for... immoral purposes. Just enough description to make it clear what said merchant is trying to do. She responded with shock, horror, and immediate, lethal violence to the Very Bad Man.

RR acted like MDW was promoting that stuff.

Second time, it was clear MC was sneaking food to her starving mother. Misinterpreting that passage speaks more about the reader than the author.

Thank you.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: Wing has stated that it's a no questions asked, no exceptions rule. It's the strictest rule on the site, so this is to be expected.
In another thread and the FAQ, the point is made that this is about explicit content, where sexual acts are described in detail. I've seen fictions get a free pass with sex involving minors by just doing a fade out when the act starts. And there's no sex whatsoever in MDW's case. So this kind of thing isn't expected at all and seems pretty arbitrary.