Re: Arived here by fate, please call me Nate

Ayyy everyone, Nate here. 

New to Royal road but not to writing and putting my stuff online, been putting work online for 5-6 years now. Been writing as a whole for I guess 12 years?

I like storytelling as a whole honestly. from games, anime, movies to novels comics and cartoons. As long as it has a solid cast of characters and deals with themes that are a bit more deeper than surface level and/or is done well then I'd find I enjoy them. That being said I guess I would consider myself a fantasy reader/writer. I'm heavily inspired by things like Final Fantasy (mainly 13 and verses 13 trailers) Kingdom hearts, Inception, Madoka Magica, Neair: Automata when it comes to my writing. That and a load of fantasy books I've been reading these past few years like the Wheel of Time and Strom light archives.

Currently, I'm looking to tie up some loose ends on the current book series I've been working on for the past few years before going back to make a final draft of book one. I intent do put that final version up on here so look forward to that. 

In the meantime, I have a question. Having only Wattpad as my only real novel site I stuck with (for better or worst lol) what would you guys say is different about Royal Road over Wattpad? 

From a glance, it seems more catered to the story I tell but well I'm new so anything you can tell me about would be very helpful. 

Thanks in advance, Nate. 

If you write more fantasy or closer to litRPG/transmigration, then RR is a great place for you. As far as I'm aware, the biggest difference is in what's more popular. I know Wattpad is much more receptive to Romance while RR has a lot of readers who seem to prefer Fantasy related stories.

Also, the community here is pretty cool. I've seen some comments about Wattpad and how it has its more toxic base, like Webnovel, but I haven't seen much of that here. The more vocal folks are usually the ones who are looking to be supportive or offering critiques/pointing out minor mistakes.

Oh, and welcome to RR. It's a pretty cool place to put out your work and network with fellow writers and readers.

From what I've heard, RR is also more structured in its rankings. There are clear reasons for everyone on the front page and in top lists, it's all user driven by the views, ratings and reviews. One of the difference I see in a lot of wattpad users is that on RR the users seem to prefer somewhat longer chapters. If you stick to the minimum required to post a chapter, I can almost guarantee you're not going to get much of a following, no matter how frequently someone updates. There is also a fair amount of people who will completely skip anything labeled as 'prologue' due to how utterly useless these tend to be. There was an interesting forum thread about it some time ago:
https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/105607?page=1

If you're going to be active on the forum it's recommended to put a little something, like a link to your story, in your signature. You can do this by going to your pofile page and clicking the 'edit' button on the top right.

Good luck and have fun!

Oskatat Wrote: From what I've heard, RR is also more structured in its rankings. There are clear reasons for everyone on the front page and in top lists, it's all user driven by the views, ratings and reviews. One of the difference I see in a lot of wattpad users is that on RR the users seem to prefer somewhat longer chapters. If you stick to the minimum required to post a chapter, I can almost guarantee you're not going to get much of a following, no matter how frequently someone updates. There is also a fair amount of people who will completely skip anything labeled as 'prologue' due to how utterly useless these tend to be. There was an interesting forum thread about it some time ago:
https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/105607?page=1

If you're going to be active on the forum it's recommended to put a little something, like a link to your story, in your signature. You can do this by going to your pofile page and clicking the 'edit' button on the top right.

Good luck and have fun!

I see, that alone sounds much more better than Wattpad, yeah the ranking system on there made next to no sence so i like the sound of that. (I better go change my prolpuge to chapter one is seems lol.)

D-S-Nate Wrote: I see, that alone sounds much more better than Wattpad, yeah the ranking system on there made next to no sence so i like the sound of that. (I better go change my prolpuge to chapter one is seems lol.)

I've got to say I didn't read your prologues, so it's not like you have to. There seems to be a trend to think every novel has to have a prologue, which has resulted in quite a lot of prologues which really add nothing that couldn't have been included in a chapter 1. It's up to you to decide if you want to keep it or not, but a lot of people decide if they will continue reading on the first chapter they open. If the prologue can't grip people they won't even start on your chapter one. If the prologue is just character or world background, better weave it through the story rather than shoveling it upfront.

There is another post somewhere, 'how to open a webnovel' that may help

Welcome to Royal Road. Used to be on WattPad before moving here and couldn't be happier. There's a much greater demand for sci-fi and fantasy on Royal Road and readers seem more open to checking out new works. Surpassed the total views my WattPad posted sci-fi story achieved in less than 2 weeks here. Also have gotten many more comments. It was quite a revelation. In addition to all the great advice the previous posters have already given, I'd suggest checking out the Forums. Lots a helpful advice and interesting topics. Hope your story does well and good luck.

Oskatat Wrote:
D-S-Nate Wrote: I see, that alone sounds much more better than Wattpad, yeah the ranking system on there made next to no sence so i like the sound of that. (I better go change my prolpuge to chapter one is seems lol.)

I've got to say I didn't read your prologues, so it's not like you have to. There seems to be a trend to think every novel has to have a prologue, which has resulted in quite a lot of prologues which really add nothing that couldn't have been included in a chapter 1. It's up to you to decide if you want to keep it or not, but a lot of people decide if they will continue reading on the first chapter they open. If the prologue can't grip people they won't even start on your chapter one. If the prologue is just character or world background, better weave it through the story rather than shoveling it upfront.

There is another post somewhere, 'how to open a webnovel' that may help

I understand, thanks. think I will stick with it as such. It's key to kicking off the events of this story as a whole. I don;t mind calling it chapter one it's just the events take place years before the main story events dispite there being a connection.

parkertallan Wrote: Welcome to Royal Road. Used to be on WattPad before moving here and couldn't be happier. There's a much greater demand for sci-fi and fantasy on Royal Road and readers seem more open to checking out new works. Surpassed the total views my WattPad posted sci-fi story achieved in less than 2 weeks here. Also have gotten many more comments. It was quite a revelation. In addition to all the great advice the previous posters have already given, I'd suggest checking out the Forums. Lots a helpful advice and interesting topics. Hope your story does well and good luck.

Yeah, i feel really welcome here already. Thanks XD