Re: Big influx of high rated stories.

For years there was barely a handful of stories with close to five stars.

Now "suddenly" there are new five star stories every other week.

What is the reason for that? 

RR grow enough so there are just more stories?
Are users more likely to give five stars?
Are there fewer one stars?
Did the star star formula change?

(Don't get me wrong it's great there are more good stories, I just feel for some of my favorites beeing pushed down)

Trending has always been full of 4.5 - 5 stars and I mostly get new titles from there and by the time I start them as always I see which ones are still going strong and which ones drop and which ones are just inflated. It's rare, but those that push through the rankings are usually good for it. There are probably more stories overall or more of them that continue on, but that's ok, right?

On the other hand, quite a few recent trending hits are still extremely high on the list and have several hundreds of ratings - cinnamon bun, artificial jelly, wildcards, vaudevillain, [biologist], villager three, stray cat strut, the house witch, the courting of life and death, magic smithing and this quest is bullshit are the ones I recognize right away. Unless their quality drops in a bunch of chapters, they are likely there to stay

Oskatat Wrote: On the other hand, quite a few recent trending hits are still extremely high on the list and have several hundreds of ratings - cinnamon bun, artificial jelly, wildcards, vaudevillain, [biologist], villager three, stray cat strut, the house witch, the courting of life and death, magic smithing and this quest is bullshit are the ones I recognize right away. Unless their quality drops in a bunch of chapters, they are likely there to stay

Oh hey, I wrote some of those.

I can attest that at least four of the stories on that list come from myself and two of my friends who moved from another site and started to cross-post onto RR at about the same time. 

And yeah, even discounting that, there's been a noticeable influx of higher-quality stories on RR. I think it's partially the competition getting a bit tighter. If you want to get to the top now, you need to be a whole lot better than you needed to be even two years ago (Comparing the average 'success' from previous years to the successes of this year). It's shifting the site's meta a bit.