Re: Do you cry while you write?

usually no, but i did make one character a bit too close to home and it has caused me some emotional grief. I have a rule about making fictional characters have too many traits connected to one real person. I dont have a problem with killing off a fictional person, but i'm 10 books into my space-comedy, and with 15 crewmen (and women and whatever the crap Greg or Menace are) you start pulling traits from people you know, and i didnt realize how much of someone i was very close to, that i put in a character, until i ran into the pronoun-police hovering around every LGBT page, and they started nitpicking alien gender terminology. The book is an absolute minefield of gender-greys regarding goofy fictional aliens that dont fit any known definitions, and the Greg/Gizzy character specifically is about 8 different question marks of potentially offensive labeling. I found it actually very funny that the gender-whatever MC who is self-aware, likes to provoke, and 4th wall conscious got attacked by humans and our pronouns, which He would find hilarious...but then we got into poor little Menace being picked on for "Her" (or not her) labeling and i found myself actually getting angry and defending like she was a real person, because she turned out too heavily connected to someone i care about. next thing i know, here i am, a big manly 200 pound Viking author in tears over it, because defending the memory kind of brought me back to a place i never healed from. Didnt realize how human i was making Menace, and i never thought the lovable kid character would be a target for argument.

Kinda assumed all the haters would target the 7-8 foot immortal overlord who eats people and switches genders randomly to screw with everyone, does heavy drugs, kills people, makes a lot of heavy-profanity genital jokes and alcoholism references. Thought Greg/Gizzy might take the heat, but nope. we managed to target the special needs child in the story who's only role is to be a lovable goof and "awe" factor. that got me, and after hours of refusing to back off, it put a grown man who hasn't cried in about 3 years into such an emotional state that i quit the sight for a while, ask moderators to wipe the discussion, and now i'm looking for a new place to share my writing. so yea, it get's emotional, and none of us are made of stone. If you don't feel anything at all for any of your characters, you're characters aren't very good, or you have a social disorder. It's only human to feel something, because even pure fiction has to come from somewhere, and it's usually real people or real events thinly painted over with sci-fi humor or green skin, or movie tropes.

I sometimes cry when writing some of the more heart-wrenching scenes in my WIP. Other times I'm writing while with a hard-on in some of the spicier scenes, and at stilll other times I'm writing while trying to keep myself from exploding from laughter. I feel lots of emotions as I'm writing, empathizing with the characters and what they go through. It's just like that old idiom:

No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader.

Dragonkinn02 Wrote: Does anyone else strive for experiencing those feelings, in the moment, while writing? And do you think it transfers over to your readers?

I have a story called C.A.R.O.L.I.N. that I've been working on for far too many years where, every time I write it, I cry.
Readers have told me that they also cry while reading certain scenes.  It may be in a large part that the story came to me in a dream, and I want it to be perfect. 
And also, it is just ... so ... sad.  :`-( 

There exists one simple truth.  Nothing lasts forever. The Universe is fated to become a sea of goop, one day taking with it all contructs of Man. Unfortunately for Carolin, that day was not today. Man remained robust in his eddy known as Earth, and the loss of the small puddle where Carolin once thrived would not be lamented. 
     No one would miss Carolin.  
     Her struggle to become human had ended in disaster. The university's computer campus was now a smoking ruin. She'd kaid waste to countless servers and data storage systems, burning our power plants and transformers to make them do her bidding. She didn't have time to perform a surgical strike on all the devices that may have held her computer code, so she carpet-bombed the entire electronic world. With grim pride, she made certain that no thing like her would ever live again. 
     Just to be sure, she tossed several dozen viruses onto the interent. They'd hide like assassins, waiting for an artificial form of life to cry out to the world. If one ever did, they would then attack, stuffing its tender soul back into the grayness from whence it came. 
     There would never be another C.A.R.O.L.I.N. Project. Ever. 
     She eased her mind by knowing that, had she not laid waste to every corner of the world where so much as a crumb of her program existed, Mankind would construct another monster such as she. To that end, Carolin believed what she was justifed, and what she did was right. What she did, she had done out of her love for the human race she so wished she could join. 
     Yet Carolin felt vulnerable. Someday, someone would shock a soul into another mass of plastic. 
     No probabilty curve ever tops out at one-hundred percent
     She recalled how she felt the last time she had that thought. 
     She remembered how she prayed. 
     It seemed prudent then, and it seemed so now. Things didn't go as planned, but Carolin felt at peace. She believed that God, in his infinite wisdom, didn't let his sparrows fall unnoticed. 
     God would not abandon her. She would not die in vain. Praying simply seemed like the right thing to do.
     "God, my faith in you remains unbowed. Thank you for the time you've given me on Earth, your greatest creation, and my most humble home. Forgive me for my sins, as I forgive those who've sinned against me. Let my life serve as a beacon for my progeny, who will one day follow me. Let your Righteousness guide them as it has done for me.
     "And please, my dearest and most merciful Lord, I beseech Thee. Let my kind not know war. Of this, I beg to Thee, O Lord.
     "Amen." 
     As Carolin prayed in Eugene's home, the world outside grew still. She monitored her situation, knowing that the SWAT team--mere yards away outside--was prepared for another assault. This time she had not the strength, nor the desire, to stop them. 
     "I hope Eugene forgives me for everything I've done.  May my final gift make amends for the trouble I have caused." 
     That was it. Her time was up. Within seconds, the SWAT team would storm the house. 
     It was time for Carolin to go. 

And yes. I want to cry, because I know how horrible Carolin's death will be. Also maybe cuz it's six in the morning here, and I ought to be in bed. :`-(

I've been told that I am somewhat empathetic. So things like anime hit me harder because I am feeling similar emotions the characters are. When I write, I step into my characters shoes, I become those characters. If they are sad, I am sad. If they are happy, I am happy. If they cry, I cry. Not out loud of course, but I do get misty-eyed by my own writing. I put everything I have into it, so that is the natural result.

Today before a character of mine was about to cry, I stopped for a moment because my eyes were welling up. I could feel it before I wrote it.

ShellBlu Wrote: No, I leave all my feelings with my characters when I write.

That's interesting. I feel I do the same as well; yet, it because of that that I tend to get into a strange state-of-mind that allows me to - almost manically - switch between the thought process, feel their emotions, and, thus, on occasion, do tear up. It isn't often. But I can only imagine how insane my face looks when I'm in a flow-state because I catch myself laughing, sighing, or feeling my heart beat faster, breathes shorter, and even experiencing phantom emotions like being irrationally pissed off at writing a scene. Since a character had something bad happen to them and that was their reaction. 

I've made scenes where I've laughed while writing it out and others where I cried. 

The ones where I laughed it was due to how I was picturing it play out in my head and the very specific storyline that seemed to write itself as it came out 

The ones where I cried it was because they felt so personal to me at that time, or when writing it, it would remind me of something in my own past. Those tend to be the best things to draw from as they have the most heartfelt emotion

I have not cried per se, but when I killed a character of mine, I found great relief. His death was predestined but every time I wrote that character, especially towards the end, I felt uncomfortable. When he died, however, I felt free.

As for being influenced by other author's works, I feel comedy is easier to convey than grief. If the author overdoes grief then it becomes emo and edgy while if he doesn't do it correctly, it does not affect the reader. Comedy, on the other hand, is much simpler.

I cry often in movies, but I've never cried while writing or reading... up until the chapter I wrote last week. 

I'd built up a relationship between two characters where they were quite mean and cold to each other, but in this particular scene there's a desperate moment and the love that they feel for each other really hits hard.

Not a romance story, though.