Re: Making a dream into a story

So I was always leery of people who said they got story ideas from dreams. 
Until two nights ago, when I had a dream that could work as an amazing story. 

In the dream, a powerful entity was angry with me and gave me two superpowered twin children to look after, and I had to take good care of them. I don't remember how I did it, but by the end of the dream, they seemed to have grown up and respected me. One was quite - the boy - but the other - the girl - gave me some words of wisdom. By nature of the dream, I don't remember what she said at all, with a sense of gratitude all that remains to me.

So this as a story - I could transliterate this and put it in our world as a story about a single dad who has to raise twins, knowing full well that they have all that power and how he'd deal with that. 

Or use some old fantasy story ideas I had and put it in a high fantasy world - the dad being a human who married a powerful being, but is left alone for one reason or another with her political responsibilities, and their children. So he has to deal with political rivals who could flatten him without a second thought, all the while again raising the kiddos.

--

So since the latter is mixed with years of RP plot inspiration, story ideas, and that sort of thing, I have more of an idea how to tie the plot together, but I also feel like a lower fantasy story would have more widespread appeal. What do you all think? 

I believe that the audience here might take to the fantasy side of things a little better. Current world works, but I believe there are more books out there in older fantasy narratives and they do pretty well here.

I'd probably read that. I figure you are looking for doing something on the cute side? slice of life? Or simply the mischief that two twin terrors could get into and how a mortal would reign them in?

A fox wedding or some mystical marriage? You'd have to deal with how the mother deity who would outlive the husband and children would leave or not be available. So I could see a trace of tragedy that could do well.

If you want to bounce things off someone, pm me and I'll see if I can be of any use.

The problem is, I'm wanting to write everything. My mind needs this to be a Cute, Slice of Life story about Mischeivous Twins causing a mortal trouble - that's also about political intrigue in a high fantasy world, with plot progression that follows the kids growth not too quickly, but not too slowly either.

I'm sure you understand the pain. I just need to pick one direction and go with it.

Ignise Wrote: The problem is, I'm wanting to write everything. My mind needs this to be a Cute, Slice of Life story about Mischeivous Twins causing a mortal trouble - that's also about political intrigue in a high fantasy world, with plot progression that follows the kids growth not too quickly, but not too slowly either.

I'm sure you understand the pain. I just need to pick one direction and go with it.

You watch too many movies

Ignise Wrote: The problem is, I'm wanting to write everything. My mind needs this to be a Cute, Slice of Life story about Mischeivous Twins causing a mortal trouble - that's also about political intrigue in a high fantasy world, with plot progression that follows the kids growth not too quickly, but not too slowly either.

I used to struggle with the same thing until I found my little comfortable niche to write in,

Just start writing the story and you'll realise some bits just don't feel natural, I'm 7 volumes into my one and I've still to find a place to add any romantic stuff.

You're not banned from experimenting and trying new things mid-way through, just make sure it fits, and if it doesn't don't add it.

Quote:In the dream, a powerful entity was angry with me and gave me two superpowered twin children to look after, and I had to take good care of them. I don't remember how I did it, but by the end of the dream, they seemed to have grown up and respected me. One was quite - the boy - but the other - the girl - gave me some words of wisdom. By nature of the dream, I don't remember what she said at all, with a sense of gratitude all that remains to me.

I don't get a feel for the narrative potential here. However, it does come across as richly psychological. Old fashion dream analyst would have a field day with the twins being dropped off and you being coaxed by a higher power to raise them.
I know what they would say, but I won't elaborate too much because I don't think the traditional interpretation is necessarily correct. 
In your case, it may be more a Jungian 'nurture and grow a spiritual seed and become a more complete you' than a Freudian-patriarchial 'get you a baby inside you, woman!'
I don't know anything about you, but those are pretty much the parameters of classic interpretation. 
Modern analysis would likely concentrate on anxiety as being the dominant factor where your mind is trying to make a gestalt out of the 'noise' floating around in your brain. The words of wisdom that made you feel cathartic lends itself to this, as your body may not be getting the right chemical balance due to a depressive state of mind.
Those are just possibilities that you would likely hear if you told a professional therapist your dream.
None are necessarily true to your situation. I tend to be skeptical of most all psychological rationalities as being the products of the dominant intellectual schools of thought of their respective time frames.

On a lighter note, were these the words of wisdom?

Primate Wrote:

Pray, Expand?

Olviddha Wrote:
Quote:In the dream, a powerful entity was angry with me and gave me two superpowered twin children to look after, and I had to take good care of them. I don't remember how I did it, but by the end of the dream, they seemed to have grown up and respected me. One was quite - the boy - but the other - the girl - gave me some words of wisdom. By nature of the dream, I don't remember what she said at all, with a sense of gratitude all that remains to me.

Stoof about dreams

You're skeptical hmm? Yet you wrote a paragraph espousing those theories - They said with a raised eyebrow.

In any case, your right, there's not much narrative in and of the dream but I feel like there's a story to made with it.

Quote:You're skeptical hmm? Yet you wrote a paragraph espousing those theories - They said with a raised eyebrow.

I admit, I'm very Jungian at heart. I don't think it stands up scientifically, but it speaks to me on a spiritual level.
I certainly don't espouse the other schools of thought I laid out. If it came across that I was, it is only because I was trying to be even handed.
In truth, I feel the most prevalant modern one will be in a few generations be considered alarmingly manipulative and exploitative. These will be considered the dark ages of psychology as a profession is my prediction.
There is an enormous scandal in the field currently because a lot of research that has shaped the conventional wisdom is proving to be non-replicable. 
But enough of that, I'm just going on and on and on.

I hope you do pull off a fantastic narrative from your dream source, and come back in six months with one thousand followers and a quarter of a million views and a see I told you so!

I wish you luck.

Ignise Wrote:
Primate Wrote:

Pray, Expand?

What you are describing here sounds like a great movie plotline. That's all. Not in a bad way 😊