Re: Requesting cover art for sci-fi litRPG

Eightfold Invasion:

Simon wonders if he’s going insane or the sci fi RPG he’s playing is leaking into the real world - and which would be worse.

This is a litRPG novel. Many of the alien species are rubber suit bipeds, sometimes bringing to mind the schlock science fiction aliens who look like a cross between some Earthly animal and a human. Others looked like various types of cliched flying saucer aliens. And yes, there’s a logical reason, although it is kind of far out.

It is also about a tabletop RPG named Eightfold Invasion.

I would love to have any awesome cover, but was thinking either people playing an RPG around a table with aliens superimposed or in the back round, or else aliens sitting around playing an RPG with dice and books and paper and pens.

I’ll be thrilled with either clip art or original art. Right now I’m looking for a volunteer or someone who wants a critique, since the novel is still being written, although a few chapters are ready to upload.

Thank you,

David

I love your portfolio! I’m new here, so I just want to make sure I know how this works. I could use this new cover you create on Royal Road and or Amazon? 

I know good work takes time, I make something on Canva in 15 minutes that I can use until I have the real thing. It will help me get over the upload problem. I suspect the culprit is Microsoft Edge.

David Wrote: I love your portfolio! I’m new here, so I just want to make sure I know how this works. I could use this new cover you create on Royal Road and or Amazon? 

I know good work takes time, I make something on Canva in 15 minutes that I can use until I have the real thing. It will help me get over the upload problem. I suspect the culprit is Microsoft Edge.

If I use third-party images from the web while making a cover, I always make sure to look for ones that fall under free creative commons, meaning they are free to use even commercially. The same goes for the fonts. Otherwise, as long as you don't claim to be the author of the cover, you have my permission to use it freely, except for propagating hateful/hurtful or otherwise inappropriate content (not that you'll do such a thing but I need to tie up any loose ends). Please, crediting me as the author of the cover, if you decide to use it. 
Since I don't require payment for the job, I would appreciate it if in return for my work you have a look at my writing here on Royal Road and give it a review. If you are unsatisfied with my work, I would not require a complete review but at least a comment or two under 2-3 chapters as compensation for the time input on my part. Since I have had a bit of an unfortunate experience while doing cover art, I would like to ask you to read the first 2 chapters of my work in advance and leave the comments as "down-payment" before I send you the finished cover. 
If you agree to these terms, I would be glad to give it a try. 

Do you want reviews to help get ready for sale and publication, or just to hear how people react to your work? I only ask because if you plan to publish I might have to be a little nit-picky, because the market is so competitive. I am used to reviewing that way, writers workshop style, helping make something the best it can be. On the other hand, even though I always talk about what I like about something, I will be happy to concentrate on the positive if you are not worried about sale or publication, but just enjoy sharing your work on Royal Road.

As of right now, I don’t have plans about officially publishing. I think it is a bit too early. Still, you can be nit-picky if you deem it fit. I, as much as any person, love positive feedback but I also want to improve my work. English is not my native language so I am always concerned if it is glaringly obvious. Your comment on my purple-patch was very helpful, by the way. The ideal feedback would be something between ranting about grammar inconsistencies and evaluating the story and characters as such (tempo, boredom-grade, generic awfulness, and the like). Well, to conclude, when you stick in the knife do it with a gentle smile, please. 

As for my pat of the deal, can you PM me a brief description of Simon and maybe a bit longer summary of the work. It would help me with the design and then choosing the font if I know the full genre-list for the work (are there comedy elements or should I stay sombre and proper?). As of now, I imagine the cover with scared Simon +4 aliens (gorilla, lion, grey Martian and robot/cyborg) around a table in a bit of a cartoon-like style.