Re: Will taking a break harm my fiction?

Hello,

I hope everyone is having a good day. As the title suggests I have been writing a story called 'Mistbound' here and it is in its early stages. I have worked so hard for the last month and now its beginning to pay off and I've started to get some readers. I know i should be working even harder at this point, but due to life problems i have to take a break.
it makes me so happy when my readers leave reviews and comment and it fills me with warmth, and the story is finally beginning to take shape. I am afraid that if i take a break now, it will all go down the drain and when i come back ill have to start from scratch, but most importantly i dont want to disappoint my readers

Re: Will taking a break harm my fiction?

Unfortunately, from experience with my first novel published on this site, one that was intended to be the first in a series, the drop off in views after I took a break was dramatic. 
The views have barely budged with about a thousand views added since the last chapter was published more than four months ago. Even as my current series has had some modest success with sixty-one chapter updates, very few readers have explored the other one.
I've had to slow down on my current series due to my workload increasing from forty hours to sixty (at least my compensation has never looked prettier).
I push out at least a chapter a week to let my readers know it still exists and to keep the story fresh in my head. To be honest, the first story, I don't connect to in the least, any longer, and I doubt if there will be any more follow-ups (sorry to those who enjoyed The White Hawk, but to those 96 individuals who read it from beginning to end, you should have given me some positive feedback, there was none. I have no idea to the extent you would like to see the series completed).
To the readers of my current series, unless I'm dragged off kicking and screaming sometime between now and 11:30 EST in an unmarked black van, there will be an update tonight.
I got a lot accomplished on my day off.
Back to you, Mistpunk because that just got very self-indulgent of me. Please try to regularly update. 
Even if it is only one chapter every two weeks, your viewers will notice the effort and not assume you are giving up. It will help your stories bottom line to do so. They do tend to fall apart if neglected.