This thread is locked

Re: Full Novel (400 Pages) Review Swap

Hey! My second web novel, Hands Held in the Snow, is nearing completion, with a little over a month to go before it is finally finished. To that end, I want to do some review swaps for it. But I don't want to do the normal 10-15 chapters, 100ish pages deal; I want to swap a review of the entire book, which will be somewhere around 400 pages when it is finished.

I'd like actual reviews, like review-reviews, not as a work-in-progress to critique, but as an evaluation and discussion of the entire work. Those aren't particularly common on Royal Road, maybe thanks to the fact that stories rarely finish on here, but I would really like reviews that encompass the whole book after all is said and done, and review swaps are probably the simplest way to do that.

In return, I will read and provide a detailed review of your story as well. I'll try to comment on most chapters (the same is appreciated but not necessary on my story), and then I'll do as good a review as I can. Preferably, other completed stories in the 300-500 page range would be the best to pick. But if you would like to swap with a story that is relatively short, or if you would like me to review an ongoing story, that is okay too. 

These review swaps won't commence until August when the story actually finishes, but I wanted to make the thread now so that people can think about whether or not they'd like to try it out. Depending on the lengths of stories and my own time in August and September, I will do a few of these, but it may be only 1-2. I'd really like to write some nice reviews (and receive them), so please post below if you are interested!

Thought I’d drop by and reassure you your story is still on my list to review and I’m still working my way through (the last few have been quite long reads and I’ve been busy, but I have a week off work coming up very soon during which I plan to blitz through some more). 

So I will get to it and it will be detailed. :)

Csuite Wrote: Thought I’d drop by and reassure you your story is still on my list to review and I’m still working my way through (the last few have been quite long reads and I’ve been busy, but I have a week off work coming up very soon during which I plan to blitz through some more). 

So I will get to it and it will be detailed. :)

I forgot I was on your list at all! You're one of the few reviewers on the site whose opinion will genuinely sway me whether to read something or not, so that excites me a lot.

ZZZX Wrote: I will be sure to check it out as soon as I can and give you all the feedback possible!

Later, when I finish my rewrite I could appreciate having you as a beta reader for it. :P

Oh yeah, your edited story is coming soon, which is exciting to hear about. As for beta reading vs. review, I tend to put way more effort into leaving comments than I should for the sake of time (good for the author but not good for me lol), but we'll see where I am in August, or if I might have the self-control not to comment so much.

Xian Wrote: Book 1 is actually complete, but is 13 chapters away from being fully released on RR; so I don't qualify.  Really I just wanted to say CONGRATS on completing Hands Held in the Snow! :D

https%3A%2F%2Femoji.slack-edge.com%2FT034UDT5C%2Fo...dffeed.pnghttps%3A%2F%2Femoji.slack-edge.com%2FT034UDT5C%2Fr...43d29c.png

Oh thank you, I didn't see this! And thank you a lot for your very detailed review, Csuite.

If there is someone who wants to do this review swap, please let me know in the next week or so; I'm going to be going mostly-offline for a while starting on August 7th or so, and I would like to lock down a story to review before then if possible.

HashBrown Wrote: I would love to. I want a story-based review considering my story's three arcs (more than 300 pages in total) but the thing is, the third arc is currently ongoing and will be finished around October. So if you're still interested in a full-story swap by then, I'm definitely up for it.

Oh, that sounds neat. Your story is currently in my Weekly Review thread already, though it looks like it won't be there until around December (jeez) so when your third arc is finished, contact me and we can hash things out. Uh... no pun intended oops

Thedude3445 Wrote:
HashBrown Wrote: I would love to. I want a story-based review considering my story's three arcs (more than 300 pages in total) but the thing is, the third arc is currently ongoing and will be finished around October. So if you're still interested in a full-story swap by then, I'm definitely up for it.

Oh, that sounds neat. Your story is currently in my Weekly Review thread already, though it looks like it won't be there until around December (jeez) so when your third arc is finished, contact me and we can hash things out. Uh... no pun intended oops

Sure, dude 😂 I also want to read your story for quite a while now so this is a perfect chance. Looking forward to our swap soon.

Commander Wrote: Hey there! I just finished my novel as well (Military Science Fiction, 528 pages), so perfect timing! :D

I've still got one last chapter to publish today but I'll start working my way through yours as soon as I'm done. Link is in the signature!

You published a 500 page story in one month?! Gosh, that's fast. Good job!

Unfortunately I won't be able to get to anyone's stories while I am away next week. Since there seem to be multiple people interested at once, I may need to choose who to review... Please hold off on reading until I "approve" the review swap, just in case I don't have the time to read everyone's.

Thedude3445 Wrote: You published a 500 page story in one month?! Gosh, that's fast. Good job!

Unfortunately I won't be able to get to anyone's stories while I am away next week. Since there seem to be multiple people interested at once, I may need to choose who to review... Please hold off on reading until I "approve" the review swap, just in case I don't have the time to read everyone's.

I have to admit that I cheated a bit. I had most of the novel written before I started uploading it!

Anyway, that's fine, I'll hold off the reading then for now. I can see that there's plenty of books to choose from at once so I figured that it would take you a while to get to mine. :P

Hi,

After a week of thinking on it, even though I really do want to do full novel review swaps, right now, and probably for the next several months, I am just not going to have the time to do so with the detail needed to actually review a full book. So unfortunately for now I need to discontinue this thread. Sorry about this after so long trying to make it happen, but I think it'd be irresponsible for my own time management to take it up!  peocrying

Thedude3445 Wrote: Hi,

After a week of thinking on it, even though I really do want to do full novel review swaps, right now, and probably for the next several months, I am just not going to have the time to do so with the detail needed to actually review a full book. So unfortunately for now I need to discontinue this thread. Sorry about this after so long trying to make it happen, but I think it'd be irresponsible for my own time management to take it up!  peocrying

Hey there!

It's all right, I think most of us won't mind it at all. Reading should be a fun activity after all, not a job. :P
This thread is locked