Re: What do you prefer to read-

If I have to choose, B. 
I can easily ignore quite a few errors in spelling and grammar and have some tolerance for how something is narrated, but I stumble at plot holes, bland stories and general stupidity. There is at least one review I've written to say "great grammar, good style, well written and I'm going to give it a pass because I just don't like the story." Just like I've written several reviews to tell people something is a great read, as long as you can ignore some grammar and idiom issues

It's something everyone has to decide for themselves

Not gonna lie, I love me some Rick & Morty, so for my answer's sake I'm going to pretend that's not an option...

Given the choice between A and B, B is the only legitimate choice for me.

I have a hard time saying that though, because "grammar that needs work" is subjective. Grammar, tense, punctuation - these things can pull me out of a story. It's one thing when it's a forum post or a text from a friend, or even a work email. When it's a story I'm trying to immerse myself in, however, they jump off the page/screen at me and constantly remind me that I could be doing something else with my time (like writing my own stories). 

All it takes is that little moment for my brain to flip into "oh yeah, I'm not this character in this book in this scene, I'm sitting here in my chair/bed reading. What time is it? Oh, dinnertime, better go cook something and be an adult again", *sets book down*

To be fair, I'm mostly talking about published works here. That said, even on my computer monitor, when too many errors jump off the web page at me, that distraction hits, and now I'm checking my email, seeing if anybody is online and wants to play a game, or looking at the clock - all things that tend not to happen when I'm deeply immersed in a really good tale.

I'm not sure of a good way to measure how many mistakes are acceptable for me though, in that regard. One here and there won't deter me from reading, but a few in every paragraph? What time is it? Oh, dinner time.

Just my two cents!

I've been listening to the Lord of the Rings audiobook the last few weeks (almost sixty hours between the three parts) and I can now firmly say that I would pick A in a heartbeat. The story of Lord of the Rings is so silly and plain and filled with long scenes where characters just walk around and look at stuff and camp underneath the trees. And it's wonderful!!! Every paragraph flows so nicely and paints such a nice portrait of the world. In a book where the first four hours are a bunch of Hobbits having a nice little party and talking to a silly wizard, I have never been so gripped by something so "boring."

I'm 1000% done with all these fantasy stories that pretend to be super original and a bit cool & edgy but have the writing style of a Wikipedia article. I want fantasy stories where foxes can talk and elves live in forest villages singing songs about ancient people and it's OK sometimes to just hang out in the woods and have lunch while you're traveling.

I prefer reading good stories, and am not impressed by authors who do not care enough to preen errata from their work, or leave me to translate bad grammar into understandable English. Unreadable remains unreadable. I am not interested in work that requires a secret decoder ring to interpret. Maybe that's a hobby for some, but it is not one of mine. I don't think you can separate the three elements of story telling. A good story is just a good idea until masterfully translated to the page. This requires time and diligence, and repair, often as not.  its one thing to have fat fingers, entirely another not to take responsibility for them, and do what is needed to provide a good reading experience to the public.  Not everyone is your mom.  I am continually making improvements and adjustments to story text, catching and repairing typos, so on, and cant even conceive of someone not doing likewise.

My preference comes from when I was younger. Especially on vacations I often read the little romance novels my mother brought with her. You know the ones I mean - bare chested man with a scantily clad woman in his arms and titles like 'by the moonlight' and either he, she or both is a successful business (wo)man, lawyer, doctor or whatever.

Those novels are, overall, excellent productions. They have all the standard things down perfectly with grammar, vocabulary, spelling, descriptive at the right moment etc etc. The story has all the right twists and turns to, in theory, make a good novel. And they are. If you read only a few. 

So give me something with an interesting story any time. I'll survive some bad grammar, but I won't sit down to read exactly the same story (with some minor variations) time and again.

Having read plenty of A and B type stories I don't think I could select just one. There are good and bad in both categories. I've read some very entertaining stories where the grammar and style had a lot to be desired. I've also read some perfectly written stories that bored me to tears.  Sure bad enough grammar will definitely tun me off from a story, but so will a lifeless plot with perfect grammar. In the end, the merits of each individual story is what matters to me.

I'd have to go with A, because even a good story is pointless if the writing is so bad that you can't understand what's going on.

I can enjoy a generic cheesy story if the prose and presentation are entertaining.

I will drop a good story before the first chapter is done if I have to work through illegible grammar and walls of text that are so big that they fill my entire monitor.