Re: Anyone know of any good Editing services, or places to find such?

So with my Novel hitting 112k views and getting more attention, I feel like its time to step up the game a bit and see if I can get things edited PROPERLY now.
XD instead of just kinda Eyeballing it and running it through Grammerly.

That being said, I've never really looked into anything like this. I've tried googling it a bit, but a lot of places want almost $1,500 for my whole novel up to this point (about 49,466 words).

Now I understand Editing is a skill and it takes time. But on the other hand, I don't even ask for donations or anything, so I'm not even making anything off this novel. Meaning it would have to come out of my own pocket.

Anyone know of anything with more reasonable prices?

You have to keep in mind what you're asking for. Any editing at a professional level is going to require a professional price tag--it's a real job. There are also different types of editing which require different amounts of work (https://blog.reedsy.com/types-of-editing/).

If you just want someone to proofread for typos, your own readers are the best choice there, at least if you want it done for free. But they aren't professionals--they'll have varying skill levels. They won't catch everything, and they may identify problems that aren't actually problems.

Side note: Be careful with Grammarly. It makes a lot of mistakes too. You have to have a solid foundation in English grammar to know whether to take its suggestions or not. Personally, I find that by the time I'm done editing my own work, Grammarly makes far more mistakes than it fixes.

I agree with everything IvyVeritas has said. Those prices of 1.5k$ are reasonable seeing how people often get degrees in English for professional editing. Price tends to go hand-in-hand with quality. Honestly, I feel bad when I use editor services that make me feel as if I'm underpaying them. BUT. I understand the need for budgeting. 

If you're really looking for editing services and looking to save some money, I would suggest Fiverr. There are a lot of decent freelancing editors on that site, and you can build good relationships with them. The price ranges are usually from 80-600$+ depending on which seller you choose, what type of editing your looking for, and what your word count is. As usual, the higher the price, the more experienced the editor usually. Be sure to check all the reviews before you order! There are some not so good sellers on the site in all categories.

I've started amateurishly editing a story here on RR and can tell you it really is a job, not a little thing you can do on the side unless an author is very good. I spend as much time on it as when I'm writing a text of double the size, but it takes much more energy. I may not be cut out for the task - I get caught up in a narrative when I should be paying attention to spelling and punctuation.

What I'm trying to say is, know what you're asking for. Give it a try for a +-2000 word chapter. This isn't an attack on you, I just hope some people will read this before asking for volunteers.

What is it exactly what you want? Reading it over and tell you if there are inconsistencies, plot holes, things that don't make sense or other broader errors to fix, we could talk about what you could do for me in return.

Do you want an honest and extensive feedback on the narrative, characters and world, we can talk about that too.

If it's the full thing of looking for any and all punctuation, spelling and other mistakes, no can do, that takes more time and energy than I am willing to spend right now.

Oskatat Wrote: I've started amateurishly editing a story here on RR and can tell you it really is a job, not a little thing you can do on the side unless an author is very good. I spend as much time on it as when I'm writing a text of double the size, but it takes much more energy. I may not be cut out for the task - I get caught up in a narrative when I should be paying attention to spelling and punctuation.

What I'm trying to say is, know what you're asking for. Give it a try for a +-2000 word chapter. This isn't an attack on you, I just hope some people will read this before asking for volunteers.

What is it exactly what you want? Reading it over and tell you if there are inconsistencies, plot holes, things that don't make sense or other broader errors to fix, we could talk about what you could do for me in return.

Do you want an honest and extensive feedback on the narrative, characters and world, we can talk about that too.

If it's the full thing of looking for any and all punctuation, spelling and other mistakes, no can do, that takes more time and energy than I am willing to spend right now.

XD I'd say it would be more Proofreading that true Editing; I'm not really looking for structural or grammatical corrections. More that I'm actually finishing words (a strange habit i developed once I started thinking faster than I type.) and not using other words.

IvyVeritas Wrote: You have to keep in mind what you're asking for. Any editing at a professional level is going to require a professional price tag--it's a real job. There are also different types of editing which require different amounts of work (https://blog.reedsy.com/types-of-editing/).

If you just want someone to proofread for typos, your own readers are the best choice there, at least if you want it done for free. But they aren't professionals--they'll have varying skill levels. They won't catch everything, and they may identify problems that aren't actually problems.

Side note: Be careful with Grammarly. It makes a lot of mistakes too. You have to have a solid foundation in English grammar to know whether to take its suggestions or not. Personally, I find that by the time I'm done editing my own work, Grammarly makes far more mistakes than it fixes.

Thanks!

I decided to get my serials copyedited/proofread after people said my grammar needed work.  I've been using a lady from Fiverr and she has helped me clean up my work. At this point, I only have three chapters available online that haven't been edited.  She's happy to work with me on both serials at once, I'm currently prepping the next chunk to send to her. If I can keep to my deadlines, I should have a backlog of edited chapters in about a month. It cost me about $125 for 31,000 words and $68 for 16,000 words. If you're writing in American English, you'll have more options then I did on who to choose.

I really dislike editing and having someone to be accountable to has helped me dive in and work. I've revised over 40,000 words of my draft this month and hope to have the first story arcs fully edited by the end of September.

Fiverr is a good idea if all you're looking for is someone to clean up your work. If I ever decide to sell e-books I plan to hire a professional developmental editor and go through the full editing process.

I've enjoyed my experiences with Scribendi. I started with their free sample, which was something like the first 1,000 words to see if it was what I was looking for. They offer full on editing, or proofreading packages. May be worth looking into, but again as others have stated, expect $1k or more for that many words. I've used them a few times.

I've never used Fiverr, but sounds like a least a couple people here are happy with the experience. I would imagine you'll run the gamut of quality in the result, but you could probably do a couple of different folks on there for the same as one order from a professional editing service.

Still, beyond the readers here, there's a lot to be said for the "Friends and Family" route. They may be biased toward liking your work, telling you "good job!" and whatnot, but they are still just as capable finding typos or offering some suggestions/perspectives that you hadn't though of as anybody else if you explain your goals to them. And, y'know, free.