Re: How many advance chapters on Patreon?

A lot of us have patreons where we entice readers to help support us and in turn we give out extras--usually early chapters. I know that Wandering Inn just has 1 chapter in advance and that's it. But there are authors who are giving 7, 10, 20, 50 chapters in advance...

So what would you prefer? Are you more likely to pay more for more chapters, or is it purely based on whether you like the writing?

As a reader, I'm a lot more likely to pony up if I can read a week ahead. I'm also unlikely to pledge more than $5. 

Some people seem to do well with the really gonzo tier structure though. I have noticed that most of the bigger patreons do have $10 as the max value or max chapter tier, so I suspect that represents a break point in consumer willingness to spend. That's why I set my patreon's "all chapters" tier for $10, with the higher tiers offering non-early access perks.

As someone with disposable income but still consider myself thoughtful before purchasing higher tiers I think I am a pretty good sample on the matter.  

First of all I will absolutely spend the minimum I have to in order to get all my chapters.  Some people will spend inordinate amounts of money no matter how lacking the incentives are, but I'm not one of them.  If you offer all your advance chapters for a dollar I will feel bad, but I'll still only pay you a dollar.  

You also have to keep in mind that if you charge me the most you can possibly charge me, I'll start getting vicious myself and cancel the subscription the moment I lose interest in the series.  I can just wait until you have a backlog and then resubscribe later.  There was one series where the author lost interest in writing aka "real life issues" and slowly started releasing less chapters every month but still charged 10 dollars...  He even went inactive and didn't turn off the patreon.  Lots of people were still subbed to him for awhile after that.  

I say the price per chapter for me should be:

1 dollar is good value
2 dollars is normal
3 dollars a little high

Also keep in mind, unless your fiction is REALLY good, I am unlikely to spend more than 10 dollars a month.  I have that as my current limit right now.  

jacobk Wrote: As a reader, I'm a lot more likely to pony up if I can read a week ahead. I'm also unlikely to pledge more than $5. 

DarkD Wrote: First of all I will absolutely spend the minimum I have to in order to get all my chapters.  Some people will spend inordinate amounts of money no matter how lacking the incentives are, but I'm not one of them.

I must say, that I can mostly agree with these 2 quotes, for one I will only spend as much as I absolutely need to read all chapters and I will only consistently spend money every month, if it is 5$ or less. 
If I find a story I like and finish all free chapters it can happen, that I will purchase a tier from the patreon of the story. !0$ is pretty much my maximum and it doesnt really matter, what story it is, I will most likely not continue to support it every month. 
Why depends on the series, for example how many advance chapters there are. If it is 1 I will most likely not even purchase a tier and just wait.

The Outer Sphere is a good example of why I would initially purchase a tier, the story is currently on hiatus, but when it was being written there were times, when the author had over 50 chapters in advance on patreon (may be less, but it was a really big amount). This got so ridiculous, that the author had I think 2 times, when he had amassed so many advance chapters, that he would release a chapter a day or something like that, until it was back to the standard (I think 50 or so). 

Now there is the second factor, the frequency. I did not continue supporting the Outer Sphere on Patreon, as when I catched up the release speed had slowed down to maybe a chapter a week, I dont remember exactly. Another story I occasionally support is I Am Going To Die In This Game-Like Dimension, which is ahead 8 chapters. But I dont continue that support, since every chapter is released every friday and so I just wait at least 2 months before I feel like reading it again.

The only series I continuosly support is the Azarinth Healer. For 5$ a month it has a good price with 20 advance chapters and the frequency is also really good with 2 chapters every Tuesday, 1 ever Thursday and 2 every Saturday.

In conclusion I would say make the all advance chapters tier 5$, make maybe 20 advance chapters (though I think the more, the better) and lastly the most important thing post in a good frequency. I am not familiar with your story, but I would recommend having a release schedule like Azarinth Healer. I dont think, that you should post chapters every day, make 2 or 3 days a week, where you post multiple chapters, but I would recommend, to release at least 2 chapters a week and on different days. Azarith Healer doesnt have this post history on royal road, I think it is posted nearly every day and not in 2 chapter batches, but on patreon I feel like this is the better option.

At the higher tiers it almost turns into psychology more than economics. I used to have a $25 tier capped at four people where I would do a short monthly commission at their request. Of the four people who signed up for it, only one made monthly commission requests. Two of the others told me they weren't interested in requests and just wanted to be in the top tier. The fourth is saving up for some big future idea.

I do $10 for all chapters. At $15 they get all chapters, plus a special color on discord and access to a private channel on discord where I'll post, for example, work in progress sketches of art I'm commissioning. Every patron gets access to the discord server, but only the high rollers get access to that channel.

Now, is having your name painted a different color and having access to that private discord channel worth $5 per month? Objectively speaking, probably not. But some people will just hit the biggest dollar value they see because they want to be a high roller or because they're momentarily excited about your work or whatever. Little touches like discord swag can help convince them to stick around.

The essential point you make is at the start: we entice readers Why bother to grab a few dollars? Do you need the pocket change? The only people making money out of Patreon are Patreon. You want to make money from writing, get a readership and publish a book, better still get a publisher, but you have about as much chance as winning the lottery! Or simply write for pleasure and be happy people read it 😎

Will Wrote: The essential point you make is at the start: we entice readers Why bother to grab a few dollars? Do you need the pocket change? The only people making money out of Patreon are Patreon. You want to make money from writing, get a readership and publish a book, better still get a publisher, but you have about as much chance as winning the lottery! Or simply write for pleasure and be happy people read it 😎

Happiness doesn't pay the bills, and if I'm spending 5-6 hours a week writing and making nothing, it's a quick way to lose interest in doing the thing. Writing isn't a video game, it's really not as much fun as most people say it is. Putting your thoughts onto a page in a coherent manner, planning, revising, looking up synonyms for the occasional spice, double-checking your lore to make sure something fits, these are the things that make stories really really good, and they're also tedious, boring as hell, and take the most time to do. Any Joe Schmoe can slap down a half baked world with a semi-interesting premise. Creation is easy. Every D&D nerd on Earth has spasmed onto a page and produced a mildly interesting tale for their party to work through. If they wanted to get that published, however, they have to flesh out characters, explanations that can't just be "It's magic" every ten minutes, and then do all of the above previously stated monotony, only to be told, "But writing is easy." No, it's not, and it's not all that fun, once again. There's a reason the most famous authors from years past tended to end with suicide. Unchecked mental health problems, largely and possibly caused by alcohol, but I'd be willing to bet most of them turned to the bottle when they were on pass three of their manuscript and were still finding errors after spending about two weeks reading over the damn thing. I have no idea how some people get more than a few chapters in their backlogs. If I wrote 50 chapters I'd be goddamn done with my story already. Unless they're making like 1,500 word chapters a week.

Bigmouth Wrote:
Will Wrote: The essential point you make is at the start: we entice readers Why bother to grab a few dollars? Do you need the pocket change? The only people making money out of Patreon are Patreon. You want to make money from writing, get a readership and publish a book, better still get a publisher, but you have about as much chance as winning the lottery! Or simply write for pleasure and be happy people read it 😎

Happiness doesn't pay the bills, and if I'm spending 5-6 hours a week writing and making nothing, it's a quick way to lose interest in doing the thing. Writing isn't a video game, it's really not as much fun as most people say it is. Putting your thoughts onto a page in a coherent manner, planning, revising, looking up synonyms for the occasional spice, double-checking your lore to make sure something fits, these are the things that make stories really really good, and they're also tedious, boring as hell, and take the most time to do. Any Joe Schmoe can slap down a half baked world with a semi-interesting premise. Creation is easy. Every D&D nerd on Earth has spasmed onto a page and produced a mildly interesting tale for their party to work through. If they wanted to get that published, however, they have to flesh out characters, explanations that can't just be "It's magic" every ten minutes, and then do all of the above previously stated monotony, only to be told, "But writing is easy." No, it's not, and it's not all that fun, once again. There's a reason the most famous authors from years past tended to end with suicide. Unchecked mental health problems, largely and possibly caused by alcohol, but I'd be willing to bet most of them turned to the bottle when they were on pass three of their manuscript and were still finding errors after spending about two weeks reading over the damn thing. I have no idea how some people get more than a few chapters in their backlogs. If I wrote 50 chapters I'd be goddamn done with my story already. Unless they're making like 1,500 word chapters a week.

Making video games isn't all that fun either, believe me. It's at least as detail-intensive and tedious as writing is.

That being said, yes, I agree with your overall point. Patreon is a good stepping-stone to full publishing for someone who isn't already flush with cash. To do well in publishing, even self-publishing through Amazon, you're going to need editing and art, and those things cost money. Patreon is a good way to build up the cash to purchase those things while you write. Saying "the only one who makes money through Patreon is Patreon" is just patently untrue. I'm making enough to pay for all my groceries every month, which is a huge stress relief, and there are people out there making $12,000 per month to write stories. One of them writes a story on this site. So, yeah, Patreon is totally valid.

I can't answer the original question about how many chapters should be on patreon, but I can give my personal take on how much I am willing to pay on patreon. Usually I don't use patreon for the advance chapters, I'm okay with waiting a few days or weeks. I mostly use patreon as a way to thank authors (and other creators outside of RRL) and to give them a little financial help to pay for groceries or a coffee. The idea is that they can keep following their creative hobby (of providing content to me) without danger of starving, or at least without having to take an additional job that would cut into their writing time.
I will easily give one or two dollars each month to an author whose story I like, even if they don't offer advance chapters. This allows me to support a larger number of authors; even though my financial situation would allow me to spend $100 each month, I don't want to spend that much of my money. Usually I don't even read the advance chapters and if I do, I'll read all available chapters at once and then don't read the new content for a few weeks. I will not pay $10 per month to one person. If they have something that I need, like the first volume that isn't on RRL any more or good bonus chapters that will never come to RRL, then I'll pledge for one month, read it all and unpledge.