Re: Do you read abandoned stories?

Yeah, I am really curious about this.

When you are looking for a new story to read and find one which should fit you, but is already on hiatus/dropped without any hope for revival.
Will you still begin to read it and give it a try and then be involuntarily frustrated because it ends in the middle of the story.
Or do you say: nope.

I just never have an idea if I should begin a frustration in the making and read it because there are REALLY good stories on rrl where the author suddenly vanished or has no motivation anymore.

I've read several of those stories and will continue to do so. Then I leave a note for the author with my compliments and thanks and move on.

Not sure, but I feel there are more hiatus (for more than a few months) and dropped stories than completed ones. I may be sad it won't continue, but an open end allows me to imagine how it could continue. It's a good exercise and keeps me from getting bored. 

I usually stay away from those stories. It has happened to me way too many times in which I start reading a novel and follow said novel along with the author just to end up heart broken cuz the author is dropping it or just doesn't show up anymore. Thus, whenever I start to read a new story, I always make sure to check if the author has dropped another novel he/she was writing before. I usually stick to authors who are commited to their proyects and that *can be* commited as well.

If it's at least 10 chapters I consider it as worth reading as one that's in progress.  If it has 3 or fewer chapters, I won't read it unless I particularly want to see what type of initial set-up they used (mainly because I might want to write something similar).

I once put one of my abandoned stories up for adoption on ff.net and it got adopted and I loved the extension the adopter wrote. :)

No. I would never read an incomplete story with no chance it gets finished. I have done in the past and with one exception have always found no ending to be frustrating. The one exception had an ending and continued, it was also a great story, so a very worthwhile read. I'm also cautious about reading stories that are being posted, but are not complete, but you can usually tell if the author is committed to the work or not.

Likewise.  I find it hard to overcome the lack of fulfillment at the end(middle?) of a dropped fic, especially if the story was a good one. Doubly so if it ended on a cliffhanger. My search queries exclude fics with the Hiatus flag :-).

In fact, when I started writing my own story, I made sure to write(and maintain) an entire book's worth of content ahead of the serialized story, so that there would always be a natural closure if I ever did drop it.

sunandshadow Wrote: If it's at least 10 chapters I consider it as worth reading as one that's in progress.  If it has 3 or fewer chapters, I won't read it unless I particularly want to see what type of initial set-up they used (mainly because I might want to write something similar).

I once put one of my abandoned stories up for adoption on ff.net and it got adopted and I loved the extension the adopter wrote. :)

I prefer using the number of pages RR says a novel has as an indicator. There are some awfully short chapters out there and some very long ones. A 3-chapter novel can be longer than a 10-chapter one

My motive for reading the abandonned or on hiatus novels is usually not entertainment, but attempting to learn how an author presents the concept and anything else worthwhile. That makes it less annoying when it stops halfway.

I don't read dropped novels much for entertainment, unless they are already book-length

Sometimes finishing an Arc is fulfilling enough for me, so I read almost everything and do not discriminate with the "status" of the story. My only requirement is that the story should have at least 20 chapters published. 

Now that I thought about it, the books that I normally do not finish reading are the ones with almost 1K or 2k  chapters like the Chinese LN.

Besides all the ongoing stories right now have the potential of simply stopping anyway. So you can still get disappointed. Someone on top mentioned that you could easily tell if the author is committed to his story or not. ???? even if he is, that is not a guarantee that he will not stop writing if he decided not to write for a variety of reasons. Besides there are lots of tiny nuggets of treasures out there buried in the depths of the RR vaults and some of them are in the HIATUS books, so I think you guys are depriving yourself of genuine satisfaction by limiting yourself. Anyway, that's my two cents.

On a different topic, does anyone know what happened to the original "Jack of all trade, Master of None?"

CashireCat Wrote: Yeah, I am really curious about this.

When you are looking for a new story to read and find one which should fit you, but is already on hiatus/dropped without any hope for revival.
Will you still begin to read it and give it a try and then be involuntarily frustrated because it ends in the middle of the story.
Or do you say: nope.

I just never have an idea if I should begin a frustration in the making and read it because there are REALLY good stories on rrl where the author suddenly vanished or has no motivation anymore.

In one word "No"....

As someone whose main hobby is reading (mostly web fiction) I read a LOT, and I'm really picky too (female lead, no military junk) so I tend to run out of stories if i only read ongoing/finished works. As such I read quite a few stories on hiatus as long as they are a decent page count (200+). I can't really blame people with less time on their hands for only focusing on work that is complete/ongoing, but there is a ton of great dropped writing out there!

I think probably no small part of the number of dropped stories is due to RR pressure to write really long stories, like adult fantasy stories shouldn't be longer than 300 pages, and we've got stories on this site with thousands of pages and people are still mad when they get dropped!