Re: 10k in views

Sorry, but I just have to celebrate somehow. I can scarcely believe that something I made could even reach such a number, cause I've never even gotten to such a number before.

10,000. That's like...a good amount of zeroes. Although, it might be that half of those views are my own, I'm just really happy right now. Wow!

I want to thank anyone that ever even looked at my story, or god blessed, even read it. I know that every time I looked over my story, I cringe a bit...
Also, I'm thankful for royal road to actually even show my story at all compared to other sites where it's just shoved to the bottom and never be seen again no matter how much I update.

Thank you and 10k...HOORAY!  peolaughing

peoeyesparkle  You got there before I did, rascaldy rabbit. I should hit it in a week, or two, but congrats.

Incidentally, our personal viewing of the chapters doesn't effect the numbers. I typically try to search for errors on the latest chapter for about an hour after posting. 
It never moves the count forward.

Krahie Wrote: Congrats, mate! I know that feeling all too well. Only a couple months ago, I hit the very same milestone, and it was a staggering feeling.

10,000 chapter views...? Me?! It was so hard to believe, haha.

Keep it up!!
It does feel pretty unbelievable. I myself never gotten 10k in anything I've made before so it's just kinda crazy.

Olviddha Wrote: peoeyesparkle  You got there before I did, rascaldy rabbit. I should hit it in a week, or two, but congrats.

Incidentally, our personal viewing of the chapters doesn't effect the numbers. I typically try to search for errors on the latest chapter for about an hour after posting. 
It never moves the count forward.
Best of luck to yours as well. Incidently, maybe I'll check your stories out. They look pretty close to what I enjoy.

And that's actually even better then. Many other sites I see and use tend to inflate the number or count my own view like multiple times, so I'm getting views every time I edit or update. It kinda sucks.

Still, if it really is 10k of actualy people, that's really cool. That's a lot of people.  peoblush

VickusofTears Wrote: Congrats! Do you have any advice for budding writers?

Errr....I don't really think I'm qualified for giving any advices since my story is pretty lowdown and I think the reason for even reaching this much view is because it has been about 6 months or so since I've started so it's more time than anything, I think.

But basic advices for any writer and people in general is to just try your best to keep going with your series and not give up. I've lost track of how many times when everyday I sit on my computer and just want to give up after writing a sentence, deleting it, rewriting, and vice versa. Most of my time writing is spent rewriting cause it doesn't work and it's just exhausting having to rewrite everything over and over again. Not a day goes by without me just wanting to quit(and i tend to, and just go play a game or something)

I also think having at least the basic idea or beginning and end is good too, although don't slack on the middle because that's usually what kills me. Also, if sometimes the idea just don't click then take a break. Many times when I'm in a killer writers block I just take a break, play some games, take a walk or shower, and let it process on it's own.

That's all I really have. Like I said, not sure if I'm qualified to give any real advice.

Quote:But basic advices for any writer and people in general is to just try your best to keep going with your series and not give up. I've lost track of how many times when everyday I sit on my computer and just want to give up after writing a sentence, deleting it, rewriting, and vice versa. Most of my time writing is spent rewriting cause it doesn't work and it's just exhausting having to rewrite everything over and over again. Not a day goes by without me just wanting to quit(and i tend to, and just go play a game or something)

Right there with you. Just remember what motivates you to write. In my case, self-important A-holes get in my way. So, building a world where I disappear in and occasionally let off some fight scene steam keeps me motivated to turn in the next chapter.

Now, you have to deal with that page in front of you. It is very much like those self-important A-holes interjecting themselves in your life. It is blank and knows nothing. Pretty much worthless until you scribble a sentence.
But when you do put the sentence on the sheet of paper, the enemy sequesters that poor sentence you gave up to its cause. The sentence now just lies there, a limpid part of physical reality.
The piece of paper wants you to feel it mocking you. It wants you to add another sentence or two to build an army of failure that will ultimately convince you to give up.
In essence, the enemy is trying to keep your thought processes limited to mere moment to moment tactics. It knows that the moment you can step away from the grind, it has lost.
You have to start thinking strategically. Abstract away the physical battlefield. Those sentences that you left there on the battlefield are not your comrade warriors that you should be PTSDing about. They are necessary pawn sacrifices made so you can move forward to your greater goal.
Step away from the physical reality and into your story world.
At the moment that you left off, what is your MC thinking? What is she feeling? What is around the next corner for her to encounter? Most importantly, for the cohesiveness of your narrative, how does this development tie into what has gone before?
Even if you are not of want to reveal it to the reader as of yet, you need to focus on it.
The sentences should be flowing out of you at this point. So many that the piece of paper is overwhelmed, and begging for mercy.
Now, if you are under eighteen the next set of advice does not apply. You are still so green with creativity and ADHD that you can keep it moving without a catalyst. If you do feel stumped, a shot of coffee should suffice to get that mojo flowing.

Now, if you are still sitting there staring at that piece of paper after applying the four questions, before the piece of paper can declare victory over your willpower, a tactical retreat is in order.
Raise up from the table, go to the fridge, remove a bottle of beer and drink it. If you smoke, go out to the porch and smoke. Hopefully, there is a big ass blood moon in the sky to inspire you further.
Now, return to the table, and try again from the start. Ask yourself those four questions that should get you up and running in the narrative of your world. What is the protagonist thinking, what is she feeling, what is around the corner for her to encounter, and how does that development tie into what has gone before.
If you don't drink, for whatever reason, no judging, that is okay, but you will also need to learn to accept that your success in life, especially as a writer, will most likely be severely limited.
You may still succeed, but understand, that the stumbling block of sobriety is going to make it near infinitely more difficult to do so.