Re: Posting an already finished novel

Evening everyone!

So for the past four years I've been working on my first ever novel, and I can finally say that the story is finished. It still needs to undergo lots of editing of course before I actually upload it, but I figured I'd ask the community for advice when it comes to uploading novels here that are already finished.

I read a few posts here saying that due to how the trending system works it's much better if I upload it chapter by chapter over a longer period of time, but it feels weird to me to keep the readers waiting when I could just chug it out in one go.

What do you all recommend?

I would definitely wait as opposed to uploading everything at once. 

There are different schedules that work for different people. For example, you could upload twice a day, once a day, twice a week, once a week, etc. I've heard different reasons for why each strategy is better, but the important thing is to spread out your releases for more exposure.

Aisde from the Trending list, you also have the "Latest Updates" list which gives temporary exposure to the most recently updated novels. Only so many users can see this page at out time, so spreading out your update schedule results in more exposure. In my case, I tend to get 1-3 new followers for each new chapter I post, but posting 10 new chapters in rapid succession doesn't result in 10-30 new followers.

It's understandable to not want to leave your readers waiting, and there are definitely people who prefer to find finished stories they can binge. The problem is, it's harder to find these readers without the constant exposure you get from frequent updates.

You mentioned that you have some editing to do anyway. What about posting new chapters as you finish editing them?

I would add that another reason for uploading a few at a time is so that others can help you refine and point out things you might have missed. So, yes, edit that first chapter one more time...but then post it!

If more than one reader has a hard time understanding  or following  the plot or conversation or any number of things, then that allows you time to address them in that chapter and future chapters.

I also understand the desire to have someone just read the whole book and have them say, it was awesome. But getting that review does not really help you improve. It is something to consider at any rate.

Commander Wrote: it feels weird to me to keep the readers waiting when I could just chug it out in one go.

What do you all recommend?
I really understand the feeling, but have to agree with the other commenters based on personal experiences too. I posted my first stories here over the course of one day, and they went virtually unnoticed at the time. And as counter-intuitive as it feels, a lot of readers seem to prefer short posts spread over just a few days per week, rather than long continuous narratives every day. As the site FAQ also recommends, you should try posting each chapter at a different time of day, as there are some weekdays and hours that are significantly slower than others. Good luck!

Hey Commander, 

I've been posting The Guardian of Hell in Mon-Wed-Fri episodes, and response has been 'The Little Engine that Could': slow at the start, but gradually picking up steam until it's doing way better than I ever expected. If you're unsure whether a chapter works or not, but also aren't sure how to fix it, posting and asking for critical advice may help. 

BTW, when I was a fighter in the medieval recreation group, the SCA, fighting full contact with rattan weapons, Duct Tape was often the only thing holding my armor together after a long day of combat! 

Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll follow your advice and release it chapter by chapter as soon as it's ready :)

David Wrote: BTW, when I was a fighter in the medieval recreation group, the SCA, fighting full contact with rattan weapons, Duct Tape was often the only thing holding my armor together after a long day of combat!

^^ Exactly why I picked the name. I've got a bit of an obsession with trying to fix things or situations :P