Re: How often do you other writers receive 0.5 ratings?

Title says it all. Ever since I've made it on the trending second place and popular first page, the drive-by bad ratings just keep on coming. Yesterday I got like 3 0.5 , 3 1 and 3 1.5's. Today another 4 0.5's got added to the fire. Of course, this has dragged my ratings down by a lot, no matter how many other 5's I got on the other end.
Are people really so hateful, or am I doing something special to trigger them? Btw, no reviews or advice left on those 0.5's, just Plong F you.

You may remember some of the early online games where a bunch of childish trolls would hover around the game entrance and bash on levelless newcomers to collect easy points. Often it got so bad that the site had to shut down, either because it offfed so many player candidates that  the site couldn't support itself, or due to the moderators not being able or interested in penalizing the trolls and expelling them., or member disgust. 

This is one real scenario. Another is that readers raise the bar in terms of vetting work that make it to read levels high enough to qualify for the (basically) free advertising space list presence represents.

For any number of obvious and logic driven reasons, I think the first scenario is much more likely. It could be moderated much as games are, to prevent it any number of ways, such as turning off rating for a an initial period of time, say a month, until the only meaningful measure, the number of completed reads for the work, is well established, for people to assess. Then such trolling would be seen for what it was and discounted.

A list of people who regularly rate new arriving work poorly could be provided, a "Trolls Are Us" Blacklist.  Reviews from those on the list could be marked with a badge of dishonor, (my favorite) since the site likes to badge behaviors so much.  The internet data pool is replete with ways to categorize users appropriately, Based on standard curve skews, and such algorithms are certainly possible, and such behavior would penalize their own reader pools.  Fair, because they did it to themselves. Written reviews where reviewers are required to explain their ratings could be excluded from the algorithm.  I have no respect, or concern for what happens to trolls. None.

The common adage that if you don't like something, don't read it and shut up could be employed.  Note that an average rating is not a bad rating, its a middle of the pack rating the meaning of which depends on the excellence of the pack it is part of. Ill note that I am not a fan of "weighted" schemas, and that such are simply open doors for such nasty manipulations. Most read / least read is plenty. Reviews are fine, weighting them is not.

I haven't received any 0.5 ratings in a really long time... except for Reborn on a Systemless Earth... With a System. Due to a variety of factors like being in present tense, being a parody, having gay characters, and having a moron main character, the story attracted a ton of hate early on and got it down to below a 3.7 rating at its lowest. The story went Trending and hit the front page, which obviously caused tons of ratings both poisitve and negative. But what might be more interesting is the post-Trending ratings:

https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fnt5p9TJ.png
Even after the story left Trending at the end of March, it's still occasionally receiving 0.5 ratings and other very low scores. The low ratings basically evaporated for all my other stories after they left Trending (though none ever hit the front page), but this one still gets them sometimes. The story really might be that divisive! Nobody's given it a bad REVIEW, which is interesting and I don't have an answer for.

Don't worry too much about them. I've been writing here for nearly two years and most people are positive enough to know that if they don't like a story it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Personally, I've given 4 stars or more even to books that I've dropped because the quality was there and they were way above average.

Sure, there are some trolls who just want to bash whoever hits Trending, but they are largely outnumbered. A large part of the audience respects and supports writers.

Devilangelo Wrote: Title says it all. Ever since I've made it on the trending second place and popular first page, the drive-by bad ratings just keep on coming. Yesterday I got like 3 0.5 , 3 1 and 3 1.5's. Today another 4 0.5's got added to the fire. Of course, this has dragged my ratings down by a lot, no matter how many other 5's I got on the other end.
Are people really so hateful, or am I doing something special to trigger them? Btw, no reviews or advice left on those 0.5's, just Plong F you.

XD I know the feeling dude, I Hit treading just the other day, and made it up to the #3 spot today (and second page of "Popular this week"), and I'm already starting to see the trolls trying to mess with numbers. The Trick is more to Ignore those people who don't even really have anything to say. It might not make your numbers look "Pretty", but in the end, the quality of your work will speak for itself in time (and you're is a lot better than mine, ahahhahahaha!).

For those people give a Negative review and actually have some kind of constructive Criticism to give, take it seriously. You can't please 100% of people all the time, but If someone sees something differently than you, than its a good opportunity to look at your work from a different perspective.

XD For all those who DON'T. Well you can just trow them in the trash. They're not really worth the effort to worry about

It DOES kinda Urk me that people like to downvote People's reviews though, because then its not just me getting hit, its them too. But I guess if the trolls cared about things like that, they'd not be trolls. 

https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.discordapp.net%2Fattachments...height%3D677

Goswick Wrote: I got a 0.5 star rating recently, and it really tanks your rating. But yeah, I guess they're inevitable, at the end of the day. I wish some of them would at least provide some feedback, but then again, I guess they wouldn't be anonymous trolls if they did that...

Sometimes they are more of an angry 0.5 rather than a troll. To my understanding, wrongfully tagging or hiding a tag until later is usually accompanied by a wave of hit and run 0.5 reviews.

Novel A is planned by the author to have harem elements, but the author did not tag it so, users who loath the harem genera get ambushed by harem content when they would not have read Novel A in the first place if it was tagged correctly. A tidal wave of 0.5 reviews will shortly follow. The same effect will happen for wrong tags instead of just missing tags. An example would be Anti-hero Vs. Villain tags; I'm personally not ok with being surprised by villain mc masquerading as an anti-hero by the author when it is clearly not the case. It may even push me to post a borderline mean review (within RR reviews guidelines) if I get ambushed like that by the author.

Edit: I'm in no way justifying 0.5 hit and run reviews, just trying to shine a different light on the matter from a reader perspective.