Re: When you made a huge mistake, how do you handle them?

Hi, it's Zee here. I haven't been here for long and, recently, I've been trying to write a story in this website. So far, it has been getting a lot of positive feedbacks from a lot of people. But sometimes, you just can't help making mistakes no matter how hard you try to avoid it. Some of it might be a little mistakes like grammatical errors or typos which can easily be fixed.

But what if you made a HUGE mistakes that need the whole chapter to be remake? For example, you revealed a secrets in a chapter and after you have uploaded a few more chapter, you just realized that you shouldn't revealed that secret so soon.

Or  what if something effected the way you write and made the characters behaviors looks unnatural? For example, you were emotionally unstable for some reason and it makes your writing style felt different. you ended up making a fool out of your character but just realized it after you have uploaded it and have calmed down. But the mistakes was huge and a lot of people have read it. 

If not handled correctly, it will ruined the whole plot, right? How do you handle these kind of mistakes?

It all happens during the magic called editing. When you write a chapter, it's too fresh in your mind to accurately judge it. So you wait a few days, and it becomes easier to see what feels unnatural. Usually, when I do something off-character or improper, I get a terrible feeling in my gut like I'm allowing something to happen that shouldn't. Never ignore that feeling. Don't be lazy and change what needs changing.

Good luck in your writing and don't forget to have fun.

Just remake the entire chapter, I guess. I made a mistake like that one time as well, so I said in the next chapter I uploaded that the chapter after that would come a day later. I took the day to completely rewrite the chapter, changing various things and such. I also made sure to notify the viewers of the changes I made, so they don't have to read the entire story again. Making mistakes isn't all that bad, so I wouldn't stress about it too much.

This is why it's very important to keep a chapter buffer of, I recommend, at least one month in advance of chapters at minimum. You'll have time to edit and fix mistakes, and you'll be ahead enough that if you need to change something, you still can do so.

Alternatively though, if you're working with no backlog or if you are working with chapters already posted and you've made a macro mistake, I recommend sticking with your mistakes. You made a bad chapter, you made a bad story choice, but hey, that happens in every serial story. You won't always get it right. If you're REALLY concerned with a mistake you think you made, just remember that (certain) readers on Royal Road are extremely vocal when it comes to things they don't like. If they don't say anything, you're probably fine. Otherwise, you still have time to make things right. Instead of thinking about fixing the chapter that is already out, change your following chapters to try and fix things. Use retcons, backpedaling, red herrings, all those fun literary techniques that'll cover up your mistake just a smidge, or at least mitigate it. 

I've made my share of really big macro-level mistakes that nobody but me will ever notice, only because readers don't know what my original plans were, they just see the execution for what it is on the page. Sometimes it hurts, but such is the art of the serial.

I'd guess you correct the faux pas. Also, try to outline the work ahead a few chapters, at least in sketch, so you don't do that. Also, keep new work in draft and let it sit a few days before returning to it and reading it for correction. Otherwise, there is always some small amount of errata, no matter how much preening you do. Just correct it and move on.

You handle it by rewriting it. That's the short answer. The longer answer is this:

There's nothing wrong with rewriting something, even if it's a whole chapter, and even if people have read it before. In fact, the fact that you're rewriting it could pique people's interesting in the story, if you let your readers know you're rewriting it. Hell, I'm in the same boat as you, just little further along the same route. I've been revising and rewriting my current WIP for months now, and I'm almost finished with the rewrite. If I can do it, so can you.