Re: Series- Multipe Books vs Continuing in Original

From what I've seen, as a reader, it is far better to post a series as one book. The most obvious downside for creating a separate book is that you would lose all your hard-earned ratings and followers. That means the sequel of your book would have to be discovered all over again. You probably don't want to pour your heart out in chapters to only get 2 views.

Also, I think readers look for novels that have a high word count on this website. Often they will ignore a story if it only has 5 chapters. I've found that the opposite holds true as well. Readers will ignore a lack of quality if a book has a huge backlog of chapters. Take for example LORG, I'm not insinuating it is a bad novel, it's one of my favorites, but one of the reasons it's so popular is because it has over 1200 chapters. Each new chapter exposes the fiction to a new set of people. Over time the advantage an individual gains by posting a large number of chapters under one "fiction name" becomes insurmountable.

Now that I think about it, I don't think any mega-popular novel on this site was released as separate books. That's just my thoughts on the matter. In the end, I think it would be more important to ignore the numbers and choose whatever option would make you the happiest. :)

This is a very good question.

Is it better to have a tome of 1000 plus chapters or 5 books of 200 each?

Well that all depends on how many story lines you have. You could have one ultimate story line that spans the entirety of your work with 4 or 5 different minor story lines that have obvious conclusions. In which case you might want to break it up. If you only have the one story line you could go either way but there would be no finality to any of the segmented stories. Unless you found a way to give them conclusion. Maybe by breaking them up by day, interactions with certain individuals or locale (if your character/s are traveling).

Take the HP series for an example. The ultimate story line was Harry vs Voldemort. But each individual book was a single episode that added to the development of the overall story  and had a conclusion.  Would it have read better as one single epic (really heavy book) or is it better the way it is?

There is no right and wrong here, really, nothing set in stone, it all comes down to the flow and the feel of it.

And, since we're talking about digital books, the weight value is of no consequence. My laptop/desk top/ kindle/etc all weigh the same no matter how many copies of War and Peace or the Encyclopedia Britannica I have downloaded on it. Still, would HP be better as 1 really long docx, or would you still want them as separate tales?

Jeboov Wrote: Now that I think about it, I don't think any mega-popular novel on this site was released as separate books. That's just my thoughts on the matter. In the end, I think it would be more important to ignore the numbers and choose whatever option would make you the happiest. :)

True, but since the authors of these mega popular writings did not break the books into a series of them... we'll never know. Maybe these books would be more popular as individual episodic tales. Maybe the fifth most popular novel would have one of the books in its series in the top spot, if the author had broken them up.

I think the only time you should split the book up is if you wanna write a side story from another characters perspective.  

There are authors who have broken their fictions up into multiple books.  I know they come up occasionally, but I've never really picked one up.  They never look interesting to me.  

The only reason professional authors break up their novels is because they literally have to.  It's a flaw in the professional sector of writing and not something you wanna actually emulate if you don't have to.  Honestly that's one feature of books I hate.  They artificially squish story arcs just to keep their fictions at a marketable size.  

DarkD Wrote: The only reason professional authors break up their novels is because they literally have to.  It's a flaw in the professional sector of writing and not something you wanna actually emulate if you don't have to.  Honestly that's one feature of books I hate.  They artificially squish story arcs just to keep their fictions at a marketable size.

I write my books separately, but I don't "artificially squish story arcs just to keep my fiction at a marketable size". Of course length is part of the reason, but it's also easier to edit. Try editing a four/five hundred thousand book, instead of two halves separately. Also, what's wrong with splitting your story in multiple volumes, if you just want to? It can't be inherently a flaw.

I want to explore different themes with each step of my saga, and I never thought I was objectively right or wrong. If there's a behavior I wouldn't advise to emulate is passing judgment on every story split in different books as "flawed" just because you don't like that feature. It's not an opinion, it's disrespectful to many authors and makes you look narrow-minded. Read what you want, write what you want.