Re: How do you track your Plotting?

I list out my important scenes at the beginning, then fill in the unimportant scenes around them when I'm actually writing those chapters. I probably need to get better at planning in advance.

Scrivener works really well for listing, structuring, and rearranging scenes. And if you like the index card method, it lets you look at your scenes as index cards, too.

there are many solutions from paper scraps to expensive software suites.

Most of the time I use simple text files to keep track of the story lines and that is enough for me.

If you want it really professional, then Articy:Draft is the way to go - but that is usually expensive. The non-commercial version of it on steam costs 99€ and the professional server versions go up to multiple times that. But you can get lucky in a sale (the previous version 2 was given for 5€ on a reseller when version 3 came out), and it's a program that allows anything, including simulating and tracking player decisions over multiple branching storylines in games with all data organized in the program.
There is a 14-day-trial available for it if you want to see what programs are used by professionals for tracking their stories.

Here's what I do

Saved onto my computer, I have a multitude of text files with so much information that it's silly. Everything. Character stat cards with levels, abilities and equipment (And such), Plotlines and planned events and scenes for future, maps and details, etc. Just about anything I have planned for my novel is stored somewhere in some file. 

For the current plotline in particular that I am working on, I tend to have an immediate checklist for scenes and characters and all the details I want to make sure I address in the near future, and I usually have this at the bottom of the writing software just written out so that I don't forget about it. I find that going into a chapter with a planned checklist is good most of the time. Though, sometimes you gotto just roll with whatever you think of on the spot with no planning, and it works too. As a matter of fact, some of my best storylines come from no initial planning, though the real planning happened after I wrote the first few bits of a story. 

Memory and a notepad. Because I find spending a lot of time planning is taking away a lot of time writing. And your pllan will get changed anyway, with the ideas you'll get while writing, or thinking of a character action that makes more sense, consequences wise, than the one planned.

Edit:  I just noticed that I already answered to this earlier. But this post has more details for it, so eh.

I forge ahead if I have a good idea where the destination is headed. I may miscalculate how much needs to be done to get there. This has occurred before when I've needed to frustrate the MC in reaching her goal. If everything came easily for her, there is very little drama, and she doesn't learn anything. 
So, ahead of time, I know where the ultimate successes are going to occur, but the obstacles to those goals that the plot is built upon are not so obvious until they become necessary. 
Due to this, the latest book in the series is likely to be significantly longer than the first book.
In this way, this gap in my planning creates a pressure point for me. There are certain things that have to be accomplished in book two to ease my way into book three.
Book three's story arc is already planned, it is even hinted at in the current story and it goes off in a significantly different direction.
So, I have to be careful that what occurs in book two doesn't screw that up.

All of this is okay. It is part and partial to storytelling. I would likely be in the weeds, still in the planning phase, if I didn't decide early on that I was going to take a set amount of time to plan (in my case, two weeks) then get cracking on my 5000+ words a week goal.

So, I have to spend time mending a few things here and there, no big whoop.

Besides, if your audience sees you veering off and the plot becoming noticeably strained, they'll leave a note in the comments to let you know. If that doesn't happen, just assume everything is hunky-dory.*

* sarcasm tag, unless it a popular series where the audience is fighting each other to kiss the butt of the projected to be the next stephenkingjamespattersonjkrowland it is like pulling teeth to get any useful feedback out of them.**

** My audience excepted, of course. They would not have stuck with it for for this long if they did not have exceptional taste in the first place.

I keep an excel sheet of my characters and make a new row each chapter to make sure I know where they are. It helps me also keep track of characters I have not introduced in a while so I can bring them back into the story at some point. Depending on how complex the story gets it sometimes feels like a chess game. Because I don't delete old rows and keep moving on it also is good to see how each character got to each point so I can keep moving forward in a realistic and planned route.