Re: Any litRPG where the MC isn't the only one with a broken class?

I'm so tired of MC finding an exploit and just going through the whole game with NO ONE ELSE EVER HAVING FIGURED IT OUT EITHER. I want a world where MC isn't the one and only chosen avatar of the AI gods or whatever. I want to see the impact of someone else doing the same (or different) broken things from the outside, where someone else has the AI's backing, or someone else has insanely high luck, or someone else has the unspecialized class that can do anything with no limits, or something.

So, yeh. If anyone has any recs along those lines, I'd appreciate it. It doesn't have to be litRPG, isekai works too as long as the MC's power isn't unique to them and others have the same overpowered abilities.

Give my story a try. The MC is just one of many 'summoned ones' that have broken stats in some way. In his case, his Critical stat is maxed but he has virtually no attack or magic, so he has to struggle to figure out what to do. Along the way there are others with similarly unbalanced stats.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/29406/atk-0-crit-all-my-attack-stat-is-negligible-so

That Time I Reincarnated As A Slime, the web(light?) novel, has a couple of characters in it who are the MC's match at various points (including the very end), and who so laughably dwarf the rest of the cast that it's incredible. In terms of system-breaking level stuff, it's my top pick before 'tragedies' where the villain wins simply start to happen.

Re-Monster has a main character with an ability that's very fun litRPG wise (same one shared by everyone on this list for the most part), and there are loads of Hero Characters and Gods and Kingdoms and Dragons which are above his level at the start, and whom actually give some really good fights throughout the piece. Unfortunately, despite the wealth of strong characters, I believe he's the only one around with that level of growth potential. Still, he's not exactly hand-held through it, as he absolutely has to work for his advantages to build.

Kumo desu ga nani ka (so I'm a spider, so what?) has a main character who has to absolutely fight like the dickens a large number of times before she's able to emerge as 'truly powerful', but there are more powerful characters than her even at her highest point in the Web novel (heh), which I can only assume she might later defeat by being more prepared/cleverer than they are. Either way, loads of system supported 'hero'-y characters and such that could have taken her at various points, one of which could still technically completely take her if they could get the assistance of one other character (mechanical instawin vs MC), not that it matters since the endgame there isn't exactly the place for that kind of situation.

They're pretty obvious picks probably, but I figured I'd suggest them anyways. I don't read as much litRPG as I probably could, and I remember probably the most 'dire' situation imbalance where the good guys still win I've seen presented in RPG fiction was probably in Star Ocean 3: Til The End OF Time, wherein they (little 1s and 0s) do battle with the literal system administrator who lives outside their actual world. It's like a little mini Tron, except they're coming to *our* world. Unfortunately, not something you can read. 

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/10073/the-wandering-inn
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26818/god-of-eyes
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/30737/the-humble-life-of-a-skill-trainer (still early to tell)
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26488/the-devil-in-white-an-awakened-aspirations-online (there are still MC powers, but not over the top)
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15130/threadbare (maybe?)
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/23018/life-of-numbers (probably)
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15935/there-is-no-epic-loot-here-only-puns (iffy)

Grimgar (not on RR, but you can check it, very slow paced, lighter than Gilded Hero, but somewhere in that alley)
Worm (not a litrpg, no isekai, no chosen, unique superpowers, but very broken things and very worth it)

I'm writing a fan fiction of defiance of the fall, but it focuses exclusively on the people who don't become powerful enough to become globally relevant.

Part of the point will be following what system/xianxia survival looks like if you're strong and talented, but not an A lister.

It's still a little early on, as far as powers go, but it's an ensemble piece. That means most everyone is going to get cool gear and abilities, and MC is not the strongest character.

A Storm in the Fall

Just be warned, it's much less combat focused than the original.

nametba Wrote: So what you want is an MC withouth cheats? So literally every fantasy novel ever written? 

Or are you asking about a story that follows the average joe? Because in that case look no further, and just go play Truck Simulator.

No no. What I want is a story where the MC has cool/uncommon powers, but isn't the ONLY one with such powers. Where s/he actually comes into conflict with others with similarly broken classes, or their own exploits, or anything of that sort.

It's not the overpoweredness that I dislike, it's the fact that in most cases it's unreasonable to assume the MC would actually be the only person to ever have that level of power. And also the fact that the stories seem to shy away from exploring the repercussions of someone less MC-heroic having access to exploits beyond the common player.

Asviloka Wrote:
nametba Wrote: So what you want is an MC withouth cheats? So literally every fantasy novel ever written? 

Or are you asking about a story that follows the average joe? Because in that case look no further, and just go play Truck Simulator.

No no. What I want is a story where the MC has cool/uncommon powers, but isn't the ONLY one with such powers. Where s/he actually comes into conflict with others with similarly broken classes, or their own exploits, or anything of that sort.

It's not the overpoweredness that I dislike, it's the fact that in most cases it's unreasonable to assume the MC would actually be the only person to ever have that level of power. And also the fact that the stories seem to shy away from exploring the repercussions of someone less MC-heroic having access to exploits beyond the common player.
Just read the toaru series

Asviloka Wrote: No no. What I want is a story where the MC has cool/uncommon powers, but isn't the ONLY one with such powers. Where s/he actually comes into conflict with others with similarly broken classes, or their own exploits, or anything of that sort.

So, does this *have* to be in the 'litrpg' section?

Because there are still loads of fantasy works out there (and some cultivationy xianxia works too) that have overpowered foes with their own 'absurd' advantages.

My Hero Academia isn't a lit-rpg for instance, but the MC of the piece has an 'unstoppable' power in a world full of people with tremendous powers, and he's clearly nowhere near the top dog. Even 'All Might', the fictional superman of the piece has his counterpart, and although he technically 'wins' in the sense that he 'stops' the villain: it's by a hair's breath, and the image he'd fought to protect (the All Powerful superhero) was destroyed in the process, which leads to future catastrophe.

My work isn't a lit-rpg, or 'isekai', but it is fantasy, and both of its main characters are technically in the top five worldwide. There's still that 'top one' out there, though... so technically: they're not 'the most' overpowered in the world, and they don't even understand 'the system' behind their strength... whereas at least two villains are absolutely armed with that knowledge. Not that they'll be meeting any of the villains/persons of that caliber 'soon'. I don't know if you can call the MCs necessarily 'heroic' either.

Other fictions that aren't lit-RPGs nonetheless have main characters who can be entirely overpowered by numerous members of the cast, such as https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3259051/1/Sky-Woman this one starts as a 'mere healer/doctor', and ends up ruling a nation... and even at the end of where I read (book 5 of 5 in the series, well beyond halfway in): they're not even in the top fifteen in terms of 'personal power' in the piece, and they've got a counterpart with their identical advantages *except* they're stronger than them by far in a pure-power-level sense.

If you're not reading isekai wish fulfillment: there are absolutely gobs of fictions out there that'll work in such a manner that the MC isn't the strongest character, even despite often enough being 'strong' or 'clever' enough to usually 'defeat' the competition: many stories exist where they're either not good people from the start (villain leads in 'isekai/life-rewind/restart' for instance), or they can and do suffer from their own defeat at the hands of some superpowered being, and have to be far subtler about escaping/killing_their_captor/etc)

Asviloka Wrote: No no. What I want is a story where the MC has cool/uncommon powers, but isn't the ONLY one with such powers. Where s/he actually comes into conflict with others with similarly broken classes, or their own exploits, or anything of that sort.

While it's not strictly that way, The Infinite Labyrinth (see my signature) features a full group of six people who end up with anomalous Milestones (similar to a normal "class" in the world in question, but not exactly identical). Plus additional hints that such a thing happened before... and some people are very, very interested in making it happen again.

The MC and his team are still, however, low level compared to the powerhouses that have been prowling the eponymous labyrinth for decades while they've been at it for six months.

But there's still a big price to pay, though.

Have a list! They mostly kinda fit what you are looking for. In some instances, the mc isn't really op yet but they are on their way. I hope you find one you enjoy!
They are listed from most to least relevant

Eight
"His name is Eight. Not really, but that’s what the System decided after a slip of the tongue. One moment, he was stepping out the office door on the way home, and the next waking up on a hillside below a town wall. Oh, and the gate guard drove him off, because he thought Eight was a monster.
Life’s tough when you’re trapped in an eight-year old body on another world."

Fork This Life
"Now we've all heard stories about people who died and were born again with their memories intact. The form of the reincarnator changes from story to story: human, elf, orc, slime, vampire, goblin; you name it, someone wrote it. But what if you were reborn in the most common of houshold objects?
What would happen if someone reincarnated as a fork?"

Trouble With Horns
"Wanting to help him escape the dreary life of the future, as well as a bad break up, Terry's twin sister drags him into the latest VRmmo. The intention was to distract, but when Terry agreed, he could never have known the adventure of self discovery he'd be dragged into, and who the hell is this gorgeous redhead with a sword to his throat?"

Witch of Chains
"Emotionally damaged after her coming out went horribly wrong, Rosa now lives on a lifestyle block in the middle of nowhere, avoiding all contact with humanity. Amelia hides in virtual reality, removing herself from the harsh world where she was born male, her body in long term human storage. In Cora, the new VRmmo, one is a wraith of death, the other is a cheeky gunslinger, and their meeting will be anything but normal."

I Am Going To Die (In This Game Like Dimension)
When mysterious portals start opening up around the world at large events, swallowing everybody, you’d think that would warrant some kind of danger pay when you have to sell hotdogs at a Comic Con, right? ‘No, of course not; what are the odds of that happening here, out of all the big events in the world?’
Well, Emma was always pretty good at beating the odds when it came to shitty luck.
Now she’s stuck in a strange dimension, where the normal rules don’t seem to apply, together with a costumed crowd who seem strangely happy about this whole thing"

Seven
"Emily enjoys a simple life playing video games casually and not much else... until she entered Zodiac Online. Witnessing events beyond her she finds herself with a burning desire to become a powerful player. Finding new friends and fighting old ones, she journeys through the world of Zodiac"

Nighthunter
"Reality shifts and Alexa finds herself trapped in a world far darker and deadlier than the one she knew. Her new body is stronger and faster, and she connects to the magic around her, but it may not be enough to protect the scattered remnants of humanity she comes across."

Locking Horns Breaking Teeth
"The aliens are here. And they want blood, money and reality tv. They don't particularly care how they get it. 
 Garok, a minotaur from another world, is summoned to be one of their Boss Monsters. Understandably miffed at being cut off from his gods and powers, he sticks a giant middle finger to that and stomps off to do what he does best: break undead skulls and heal people. 
 Clair is far from home, fed up with the random bullshit of a world going to hell in a handbasket, and generally not in the best of moods. With a dark past, warrants out for her arrest and a tag-along she doesn't want or need, she's not having such a great day.
 Well, neither is Dumrye. Turns out, being tech support for the alien invasion isn't the glamorous job this little droid dreamed of when it joined up with Tiipenet. All those random Earth trolls are getting on its bad side, and a Droidian with a skewed temper control algorithm is something you usually stay away from. 
 So, with our little band of misfits introduced (we may have forgotten the lonely demi-lich, genocidal redneck and a hyper-responsible summoner-to-be, but, eh, who cares?) lets get on with it. Sounds like all the trappings of a good reality show, no?"

A Hero Past the 25th
(No system)
"Ever since she was a child, Itaka Izumi dreamed of being transported into a world of medieval fantasy, where to live her life as a brave hero by the sword. One day, by a miracle, Izumi actually gets her way.
Only—she's a child no more...
Famous knight princess Yuliana escapes the kingdom of Langoria, defying the king and the law, in an effort to save her world from a prophecy of doom. Caught in a bind, she is saved by a champion, one summoned from another world.
But definitely not the kind of a champion she wanted...
By forces of circumstances, the two women end up journeying together through the deceitful world of Ortho, where the greatest threat might not be a beast or a monster, but fellow man."

Ari-OS
"A story set in a post-apocalyptic future about a 21-year-old woman who woke up in an abandoned lab with amnesia.
In this future, magic appeared in the world, and humanity created a system to control it, allowing people to increase their stats and to use magic. However, a cataclysm occurred, causing society to regress to a medieval level while droids still walk around as remnants from the technology the world once had"

Heather the Necromancer
"Heather was a normal girl living in an abnormal world. When the visitors came, they struggled to understand humans and their ways. It was through video games they began to learn, and then they came up with a plan. They created a virtual world of magic and dragons where people could translate and become parts of the game. Through this world, they watched and learned, growing in their understanding of us.
She knew little about it, only what came across the occasional tweet or blog post. She knew that people went into the world known as New Eden because they volunteered. She also knew that rarely other people were forcefully drawn in; these were referred to as the chosen.
Heather didn’t pay much attention to it all. For most of the world, things went on like they always had. She had classes to attend and boys to tease, and her cell phone was her world. That was until she woke in a forest clearing and realized she had been chosen."

Gobbo

"Its not easy being green. Or any other color. Life's just kinda shit in general. 
At least it is for a goblin trying to survive on their own. I'll admit I've burned a few bridges, but in my defense, they were oh so flammable, and burned beautifuly. At any rate, I'm an exile now, scraping by in human lands, where pitchforks and torches are always just around the corner. I'd look for a better life, but I've got my hands full just staying alive when any random asshole could turn out to be a retired adventurer strong enough to hold ten bulls above their head with one hand tied behind their back.
How did they pull that bullshit anyway?"

Aria of the Fallen: Adventure in a Foreign System

"After the world ended and reality broke, everyone had... different opinions about how it should all be put back together again.
Humanity's solution centered around trying to revive an entity known as the Overseer of All Things, an ancient machine god which was shattered into pieces during the apocalypse. In return for the human's devotion, it gifted them with the tools to fight the monsters which had come to dominate the broken fragments of the world - such as [Classes], [Skills], and most importantly, the ability to [Level Up].
Sláine E. Catháin honestly doesn't give a crap about any of that. A warrior rabbit-girl hailing from a different System, she's decided to come to the human's corner of reality because their methodology has lead to them becoming extremely powerful, and even if it's in the foreign land of Arpege, Sláine intends to die a legend. Naturally, she bites off a bit more than she can chew, and what started as a simple quest to beat up the biggest bad guys she can find is soon filled with drama, mysteries, friendship, love, occasional discussions of how best to hide a body and - ugh - stat optimization."

Cold Steel Dig
"When Kelly Knight’s little brother loses a game he gets pulled into the Realm Under the Hill by dark fae. To win him back she must enter the unfamiliar mining game and befriend a romance reading miner, a greedy sharp-toothed fairy, an elegant dark elf, and a stoic reaper and use what they teach her to reach the bottom of the mine where the undefeated boss awaits.
But even with all their help she might still lose and get thrown into the Garden of 1000 Kindnesses, a place that holds more secrets than even its name implies."