Re: Greetings

Hello! New member here. Pleased to meet everyone. I've tried posting a couple of short stories on other sites before, but didn't really get into it at the time. Now I am trying again. I heard that this site is more specifically catered toward fantasy/sci-fi, which sounds perfect. 

I like reading and writing, but more than either, I like imagining—new characters, new worlds, new challenges. I find that writing an outline for the first time is like watching a world unfold in fast-forward; sometimes it's hard to then zoom in and write the actual details. 

I'm currently working on two universes (completely unrelated to each other). One is a sort-of-fantasy in that it's a made-up world, but without magic/dragons/mystical races/etc. Does that count as low fantasy, high fantasy, or something else entirely? Anyway... the other universe is more sci-fi and post-apocalyptic. Every time I'm getting lots of progress on one, I get an idea for the other. 

If anyone out there is juggling multiple unrelated stories, how do you divide time and imagination between working on either one?

peoapproval I feel you Vsphelix - I have my post-apocalypse Our Mutual Ruins and my sky-pirate fantasy Cloudlark. Very separate stories and styles (but I love them both!). 

My rule is D&D: Duel and Dual. 

Dual - no more than two fictions at a time. 
Duel - for every chapter in one fiction, there is an equal chapter in the other fiction (like fencers lunging and retreating)

For imagination, that's a little harder, and depends on what's needed next for my fictions. If I know something is coming up in a chapter (a city in Cloudlark or Ruins), then I know I need to sketch it out so I don't mess up the reader's internal map. Thankfully my brain is used to bouncing around stories, and it's normal (now) for me to have a few good ideas for each fiction during the day when I work. 

Hopefully this helps, and may caffeine guide your writing! 

Hi CoffeeQuills and Nerodith! 

CoffeeQuills - good to know someone else does this too. "Duel & Dual" sounds like an interesting strategy - I've mostly been bouncing back and forth as the inspiration strikes, but having a set goal for each does sound like it would lead to more productivity. Your sky-pirate story Cloudlark reminds me of the Larklight book series I read a while ago, though that's more of a "space pirates" story. 

Nerodith - yes, you're probably right. I do wonder if there is a more specific name for a medieval-type world (definitely not historically based!). Something like "sword and sorcery," but without the sorcery. Maybe just a "sword" world?

Glad to meet everyone! :)

vsphelix Wrote: CoffeeQuills - good to know someone else does this too. "Duel & Dual" sounds like an interesting strategy - I've mostly been bouncing back and forth as the inspiration strikes, but having a set goal for each does sound like it would lead to more productivity. Your sky-pirate story Cloudlark reminds me of the Larklight book series I read a while ago, though that's more of a "space pirates" story. 

Glad to meet everyone! :)

peoeating Glad to meet you too, I'll have to look into Larklight :) Best of writing for both fictions!

Wassup! And welcome to RoyalRoad.

I just want you guys to remember that writing is not a sprint but a marathon. One of the biggest elements that we need to learn as a writer is patience. All those comments and reviews will come naturally, just keep writing. 

Good luck and may you all prosper in your endeavors in life!

Finally. An actual normal greeting post, instead of the very questionable ones that desperately try to make themselves stand out. I'm new here as well and feedback is always appreciated. 

For writing multiple unrelated stories, try writing in different environments, and plan things out more to divide them well.