Re: Need help in brainstorming ideas.

Hi,

I had this crazy idea of writing a fantasy story of my own but found out that I can't write any good fight scenes. And since no one is commending on the stories progress I am having a hard time, evaluating it. So I was hoping to find someone willing to help me out of this situation. (I haven't posted a new chapter for the past few days because I am unable to end a fight that I had put the MC into, just to let you know how desperate I am.) I am looking for someone willing to review every new chapter before I publish them and just help me spin new ideas.  

Sup,
Sadly, you're dealing with a problem many people are dealing with too. There's a large demand for proofreaders lately, so finding someone willing to read through every chapter can cost you a bit of cash.

I can give you a few tips though. First of all, you can take a look at how other writers write their fighting scenes. There's usually a pattern behind it, so if you can crack it, you can apply that to your own story. 

Secondly, and this is something I really recommend doing, is taking one extra day to just fix your chapter. Take out the grammar mistakes and the bits you don't like and stuff. This has really helped me in the past, and it still does.

If you're still having trouble, I can take a look at one of your chapters to point you to the right direction, but remember that you should be careful with other people writing your story. You know best what your story should be like, and besides, I only started writing about three months ago and I'm not a native speaker. Still, if you're interested, you know where to find me.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, most people on this site are really nice and like to help. Anyway, have a nice day and good luck.

DexyBentai Wrote: Sup,
Sadly, you're dealing with a problem many people are dealing with too. There's a large demand for proofreaders lately, so finding someone willing to read through every chapter can cost you a bit of cash.

I can give you a few tips though. First of all, you can take a look at how other writers write their fighting scenes. There's usually a pattern behind it, so if you can crack it, you can apply that to your own story. 

Secondly, and this is something I really recommend doing, is taking one extra day to just fix your chapter. Take out the grammar mistakes and the bits you don't like and stuff. This has really helped me in the past, and it still does.

If you're still having trouble, I can take a look at one of your chapters to point you to the right direction, but remember that you should be careful with other people writing your story. You know best what your story should be like, and besides, I only started writing about three months ago and I'm not a native speaker. Still, if you're interested, you know where to find me.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, most people on this site are really nice and like to help. Anyway, have a nice day and good luck.
@DexyBentai

I am not exactly looking for a proofreader, as far as I know, they just help us in making our works errorless, it is not that I don't want to weed out the errors in my work and I might hire a proofreader in the future when I can afford to. The problem is that I am not satisfied with the current fighting sequence I've written and want to get a second opinion on it to make it a bit better, and I might need this help until I can come up with a good fighting sequence on my own. About reading other people's works, I have read a good number of books before, it is one of the main reasons why I am doing what I am doing that is to say writing. The problem is that when I read a story the concept what that particular writer has written gets imprinted in my mind, and however hard I try to make a new idea from it, I just can't do it. I'll always come back to what I have already read. And about fixing the chapters I've already published, I wish to do it once I come out of this bottle-neck. Anyway, thanks for your tips and I might take you up on your offer, once I start fixing the existing errors. And about other people writing my story, I know that it might cause problems in the future, we are all human beings after all and difference in opinions is sure to occur at some point. But there are a lot of wannabe writers out there who have lots of ideas but are not confident enough to write it down, they can use this as an opportunity to give life to their ideas. I was hoping to find someone like that or an experienced writer who just happens upon this thread and might decide to help me by giving me tips.  

Jagjaw Wrote: I read through the first two chapters, left some comments. If you have a Reddit account there is  https://www.reddit.com/r/writingcritiques/ Never used it myself though.
and just help me spin new ideas.  Do you know where your story is going? There are some exercises to help with coming up with ideas you can look into.

Thank You Jagjaw for the comments, and no I have no idea where the story is going, I've not thought that far yet, but I do have some ideas in stock which might last for a couple of more chapters, that is to say, a maximum of ten chapter outmost. And what are the exercises that you have mentioned?

Falconking Wrote: Thank You Jagjaw for the comments, and no I have no idea where the story is going, I've not thought that far yet, but I do have some ideas in stock which might last for a couple of more chapters, that is to say, a maximum of ten chapter outmost. And what are the exercises that you have mentioned?

There are lots of different exercises, didn't really have any specific one. 
https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/104486 Writing prompt challenge. Here's a page i found from just searching writing prompt, https://authority.pub/creative-writing-exercises/

Since you have no idea about where your story is going, maybe write down some basic, simple plot points. E.g Life in the real world, first day in another world, surviving in the wilderness, going to the kings castle, kings castle attacked by giant insects and so on. 

DexyBentai Wrote: Ah, I see the problem now. Well, the offer stands should you decide to take up on it.
@DexyBentai, Thank you
Jagjaw Wrote:
Falconking Wrote: Thank You Jagjaw for the comments, and no I have no idea where the story is going, I've not thought that far yet, but I do have some ideas in stock which might last for a couple of more chapters, that is to say, a maximum of ten chapter outmost. And what are the exercises that you have mentioned?

There are lots of different exercises, didn't really have any specific one. 
https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/104486 Writing prompt challenge. Here's a page i found from just searching writing prompt, https://authority.pub/creative-writing-exercises/

Since you have no idea about where your story is going, maybe write down some basic, simple plot points. E.g Life in the real world, first day in another world, surviving in the wilderness, going to the kings castle, kings castle attacked by giant insects and so on.
@Jagjaw, Thank you for going through the whole story I've written so far and leaving a comment to each and every one of the chapters. I have already made those plot points you have mentioned, that's why I said "I do have some ideas in stock which might last for a couple of more chapters, that is to say, a maximum of ten chapter outmost." and when I said "I have no idea where the story is going," I meant the finishing line and not the immediate events about to happen. If it is not too much of a bother please do go through the final chapter I have written and let me know your take on it. I was going to write the next chapter today but I think I will put it off for today and wait for your view on the last chapter. Also, I've edited chapters up to chapter 7 in light of your suggestions. 
Wumble Wrote: maybe this youtube video can help (or at least it can be a strart)

https://youtu.be/jKkKNKUK_GE?t=1773
@Wumble, I saw the video today and it was very helpful. Usually, I use YouTube for watching anime or to prepare for seminars (and other academic purposes), but think of using it to get some writing tips. Thank you  

Writing action scenes are easy, but writing good action scenes are hard. Action scenes, when done properly, condense all of the morals and lessons and relationships and characteristics of the individual into a silent, engaging dialogue, and decides where the story goes from there. I would recommend looking up on youtube how it is done in film and try to translate the same concepts into written form.