Re: Non-Binary MCs and Representation

Robots, Aliens, Beasts, and the Eldritch, if these things in stories are allowed to be "beyond gender" in some form, who is to say that humans and other sapients are not?

While I agree that LGBT as a genre is entirely inaccurate, it would be nice to find similar accepting stories and that's why I decided to make this thread. I know that coming out and declaring your story as having representation can have negative effects, however, I truly believe that being able to find accepting stories is worth the risk.

I have no idea really how to add in pictures or much else on here, but I will go first. Hopefully, at some point, other authors with nonbinary representation or MCs simply beyond gender will reply to this thread with their own. There is likely a larger post for lgbt themes in general, but I wanted something a bit more specific as a non-binary author myself.

My story is named "Dwarves of Appalachia."

Synopsis: In a small town in the mountains of Kentucky our main character Jamie is suddenly awoken by a loud crashing noise. When they look outside they notice that the mountain their small town called home is now soaring high in the sky. With the recent return of magic to the world, this can only be a sign of more insanity to come. Not your normal Urban-fantasy with quirky characters simply trying to live their lives as magic settles into the world. Genies and Dragons can be found on a flying mountain packed to the brim with dwarves. With multiple non-binary characters in the main cast as well as more LGBT representation, accepting friends, and an etiquette obsessed opossum I hope you will take a look.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28632/dwarves-of-appalachia

I like this thread. 

The story Aria of the Fallen has a nonbinary "character" in it and discussions about gender identity. It's done in an interesting way.

My story ATL: Stories from the Retrofuture has MANY LGBT characters including multiple nonbinary ones, though I can't remember if one of them has been introduced yet as far as the story has been posted on Royal Road.

My Mario fan fiction The Glory of Bowsette has a lot of discussion about gender identity and such throughout, and there is one nonbinary character, though they are relatively minor.

Graven has a genderfluid shapeshifter character.

I was actually about to recommend Dwarves of Appalachia, too, until I read the OP lol

I know there's more, but I can't think any others at the moment. Let's recommend some more!

Thanks for the mention, TheDude3445!

Graven not only has a genderfluid shapeshifter, but two bisexual woman and two asexuals in the cast. It's also ethnically diverse, if that's also of interest. However, the plot of Graven is such that no one's sexuality or race is relevant to the plot, there's no romance, and none of the characters struggle with or even directly address such things, so if you're looking for that to be a big part of the experience, you may be disappointed. On the other hand, if you just want to read a cool superhuman adventure story where some of the characters just happen to also be bi/fluid/a, there you go.

Touch by Rhythm deals with minors struggling with abuse while living in a world of magic powers. Some of the characters are gay or struggle with figuring out their sexual identity.

Blackguard Wrote: While I agree that LGBT as a genre is entirely inaccurate, it would be nice to find similar accepting stories and that's why I decided to make this thread. I know that coming out and declaring your story as having representation can have negative effects, however, I truly believe that being able to find accepting stories is worth the risk.
Oof, I just got a fly-by 0.5 rating on my story shortly after making my post here. Could just be a coincidence, but... it might not. And that's exactly why it's so important to have diverse representation, as you say.

I worry there are authors out there who give in to the fear of (very real) retribution, which only exacerbates the lack of diversity. What can we do to change the culture on Royal Road to make it a safer place for authors to write from more diverse perspectives?

Csuite Wrote:
Blackguard Wrote: While I agree that LGBT as a genre is entirely inaccurate, it would be nice to find similar accepting stories and that's why I decided to make this thread. I know that coming out and declaring your story as having representation can have negative effects, however, I truly believe that being able to find accepting stories is worth the risk.
Oof, I just got a fly-by 0.5 rating on my story shortly after making my post here. Could just be a coincidence, but... it might not. And that's exactly why it's so important to have diverse representation, as you say.

I worry there are authors out there who give in to the fear of (very real) retribution, which only exacerbates the lack of diversity. What can we do to change the culture on Royal Road to make it a safer place for authors to write from more diverse perspectives?

That's what makes this thread more important. With visibility comes vulnerability, however, it also lets those who are different find accepting stories much easier. There's hateful little trolls all over the world, then, by their own binary ideals, there must be accepting people as well. If people give 0.5 reviews for lgbt themes what's to stop lgbt people from giving 5/5 reviews for the same reason?

You know, this might not be something you think of, but Everybody Loves Large Chests was the number one story on this site for a long time, and features a non human, non binary, asexual, and aromantic lead character, in the monstrous shapeshifter Boxxy T. Morningwood. More directly, that shapeshifter for a significant portion of the story takes the form of a lesbian Catperson, and through "her" exploits singlehandedly forces an entire country to accept the first ever gay marriage (her own). And at her wedding the literal goddess of love appears for the first time ever before the mortals to give her blessing to the union. Now, other than that there is all sorts of messed up sex stuff that happens that prevents me from saying that anyone could read it, but it is an example of inclusive writing on this site that gained the highest level of success possible.