Re: What would be the most effective way to manipulate an author into writing you a self-insert?

Whoa this is the 8th debate thread in 2020, come on folks!

The debate topic is as the subject suggests:

What would be the most effective way to manipulate an author into writing you a self-insert?

Some things to take note of in your response:
  1. How will you ensure the author doesn't drop the fiction?
  2. Is there a specific type of author your suggested technique works best on?
  3. How can you ensure that the quality will be up to standard?
  4. In what ways will you disguise your true nefarious purpose from the clueless writer?
[Multiple accounts are allowed in your suggested technique but you must explain how you would prevent the admins from catching on to you.]

Re: What would be the most effective way to manipulate an author into writing you a self-insert?

I feel like just asking if it's a small role in a larger plot would be enough.  
As for a whole separate work then payment would most likely be the only option. You could also lure them into a creative conversation and drop small hints as to a main character that resembles you a lot but the problem with that would be that even if they do bite the final product would probably be pretty different from what you envisioned as everyone has a different idea of a perfect MC. 
There is also your definition of a self-insert, because once again if you just want a character with your name then asking the writer would probably be enough. but if its a rean Y/N novel then you would have to find one that already writes in that style. 

wordsinaline Wrote: If you were to reliably and eagerly promote an author's work when they were just starting. Advocate for their fiction, drive traffic, and recruit followers and favorites. Actively engage in the comments section, cross promote on other social media.

That'd be preeeeeetty sweet.
If you can get someone(like me) 200 follovers and a hundred favs and another hundred reviews, I would say that most people would do it

No one else really answered the question comprehensively so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Step 1: Acquire author contact information and favor. For this step you need to find relatively promising stories on latest updates (a whole different topic to write a guide on), then regularly comment on those stories with typo reports and vague praise of characters. This sounds time consuming but you can cheat by just running it through some grammar help program then putting the mistakes in a pre-decided format.

Step 2, Spam: So, so much spam. Write descriptions of the character you want as well as an excuse for them to add the character to the story,and shotgun pm the authors collected from step one. The pms in this part have to be carefully and stylistically written to appeal to authors, but the fact you don't need to do much editing for individual authors saves you a bunch of time.
  • Step 2a, In step 2 I just said to make it convincing to authors, so I'm putting an example here for disguising nefarious intentions: Make the initial topic about generic main characters, then ask the author if they would write a character for you, say you really like their style and think they could pull off an idea for a non generic character you had. Trial and error would be required to get it phrased convincingly but it wouldn't be too hard.
Step 3, Keeping the authors going: You could just rely on bulk tactics to eventually find an author who would take your concept and dedicate themselves to it. I however, think there is still some to be done to improve your chances. This step will be heavily resource intensive so I suggest only following it with your one or two most promising stories/authors.
  • Step 3a, Encouraging authors: For this sub-step and the next one you will be using multiple accounts, but only a few and risk is mitigated by not using more than one to review a singular story. (RR admins seem to be most concerned with preventing rating and review fraud using alts) For this you will want to write a detailed and glowing review, using an account different from the one you initially messaged the author with, focusing especially (but not exclusively) on how the insert character makes the story for you. Then, with the account you initially messaged the author with, keep commenting on every chapter 
  • Step 3b, Boosting the popularity of the story: Now, popularity will heavily depend on the quality of the story, and if the author pumps out enough chapters to make it to trending. But with the power of the top reviews section, there's some we can do to help it along. This is going to focus on generating upvotes on the review made in 3a. Find a local band of hooligans, explain to them your plan, and convince them to upvote your review. (I'd personally go with the members of the thread of doom) Then get on a few alts to do the same. If it works and gets on top reviews your chances of getting your flagship onto trending skyrocket. Trending is the #1 way that stories on this site get initial popularity.  Be wary, if the story you've chosen is controversial or of lower quality, this step can backfire and pile on criticism along with popularity, potentially demotivating your author.  
I think that's it folks, my guide to getting a self insert character with only nefarious intent and dedication. Stay safe, don't let the admins bite.

Donetaskdontask Wrote: No one else really answered the question comprehensively so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Step 1: Acquire author contact information and favor. For this step you need to find relatively promising stories on latest updates (a whole different topic to write a guide on), then regularly comment on those stories with typo reports and vague praise of characters. This sounds time consuming but you can cheat by just running it through some grammar help program then putting the mistakes in a pre-decided format.

Step 2, Spam: So, so much spam. Write descriptions of the character you want as well as an excuse for them to add the character to the story,and shotgun pm the authors collected from step one. The pms in this part have to be carefully and stylistically written to appeal to authors, but the fact you don't need to do much editing for individual authors saves you a bunch of time.
  • Step 2a, In step 2 I just said to make it convincing to authors, so I'm putting an example here for disguising nefarious intentions: Make the initial topic about generic main characters, then ask the author if they would write a character for you, say you really like their style and think they could pull off an idea for a non generic character you had. Trial and error would be required to get it phrased convincingly but it wouldn't be too hard.
Step 3, Keeping the authors going: You could just rely on bulk tactics to eventually find an author who would take your concept and dedicate themselves to it. I however, think there is still some to be done to improve your chances. This step will be heavily resource intensive so I suggest only following it with your one or two most promising stories/authors.
  • Step 3a, Encouraging authors: For this sub-step and the next one you will be using multiple accounts, but only a few and risk is mitigated by not using more than one to review a singular story. (RR admins seem to be most concerned with preventing rating and review fraud using alts) For this you will want to write a detailed and glowing review, using an account different from the one you initially messaged the author with, focusing especially (but not exclusively) on how the insert character makes the story for you. Then, with the account you initially messaged the author with, keep commenting on every chapter 
  • Step 3b, Boosting the popularity of the story: Now, popularity will heavily depend on the quality of the story, and if the author pumps out enough chapters to make it to trending. But with the power of the top reviews section, there's some we can do to help it along. This is going to focus on generating upvotes on the review made in 3a. Find a local band of hooligans, explain to them your plan, and convince them to upvote your review. (I'd personally go with the members of the thread of doom) Then get on a few alts to do the same. If it works and gets on top reviews your chances of getting your flagship onto trending skyrocket. Trending is the #1 way that stories on this site get initial popularity.  Be wary, if the story you've chosen is controversial or of lower quality, this step can backfire and pile on criticism along with popularity, potentially demotivating your author.  
I think that's it folks, my guide to getting a self insert character with only nefarious intent and dedication. Stay safe, don't let the admins bite.

Absolutely don't do this. You will just annoy the author and probably get your account banned.

unice5656 Wrote:
Donetaskdontask Wrote: No one else really answered the question comprehensively so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Absolutely don't do this. You will just annoy the author and probably get your account banned.
I have no plans to do this or anything similar. This is all highly speculative despite the level of detail.
Anyways, I'm curious what parts you think would attract bans or annoy a specific author. 

Donetaskdontask Wrote: I have no plans to do this or anything similar. This is all highly speculative despite the level of detail.
Anyways, I'm curious what parts you think would attract bans or annoy a specific author.

1) nagging authors about what character to write into the story.
Most quality authors plan their story ahead and do not like to be told what or how to write their stories.
They might offer others the option to design a less important side character (especially if that is a patreon reward, which means paid for), but not without reason (like said payment) and without offering it first.

2) multiaccounts
Even if the main reason against that is something else, misuse it often enough and that gets added to the list of why multiaccounts are forbidden

This is exactly the kind of slightly messed up, but well thought out multi-step plan with minor contingencies and warnings on use of specific techniques. You have certainly done the task.

It would certainly risk getting you banned though. Especially the multiple accounts and boosting a fiction. There's a hard stance against manipulating the rating system which is fair because it results in fictions being rated properly. Harassing authors is also an issue.

To those authors who are scrolling through the forums and have found this post, take it as a warning. Someone, out there is dedicated enough to fake a friendship with you for several months so you can write their fantasy fiction exactly how they imagined it.

To those who wish to follow this advice... you'd be better off forming genuine connections with a handful of authors rather than en masse as keeping in control of the information on each author and what sort of character you put on when speaking to them would almost take as much effort as writing the self-insert yourself. And additionally it leaves you time to do other things. Definitely scour the new and recently updated fictions for fresh talent as you will be able to mould them into a self-insertion machine and never stop your fantasies. But don't rate fictions which fail to meet your standards negatively unless you are providing a review with directions to improve, which subtly make them warm up to the idea of writing you style of fiction. You can get a reputation which might blow your cover and you would never be able to convert them into making their fiction focus on what living with 6 fingers is like.

Firstly befriend the author. Choose them carefully, you don't want to end up being a lame minor character. Set up a fake scenario where the author is placed in danger. This can be anything from a fake mugging to a car accident (Make sure you do have control of the situation, and that they don't know it). After the situation is set up, swoop in and 'save' their life. Use their gratefulness and subtle hints to push them to doing it. Caution, it must be convincing and you must be epic.

Donetaskdontask Wrote: I have no plans to do this or anything similar. This is all highly speculative despite the level of detail.
As a writer, I (and I think most writers) have more ideas for stories and characters than I'll be able to write in the rest of this lifetime. I roll my eyes at people who have posts like "free idea" or "message me for this amazing idea". My characters are my babies, and I like them a lot better than I like most people.

Random unsolicited advice on how to write my stories? My first, second, and third responses are "[bleeep] off", and my fourth, written one would be "Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep it in mind".

Currying favour? If you somehow think writing "great chapter!" in the comments will somehow build a deep and abiding relationship with me that will make me want you to be in my stories, you're deluded beyond belief. Attempts to be overly friendly or familiar will just come across as annoying and creepy.

I have a rather large readership and the oldest ongoing fiction on the site, so you might say I've become used to praise and random people sending me suggestions I didn't ask for. The fact you're targeting new and inexperienced writers comes across as unattractively exploitative. I certainly would never put characters like that in my stories except maybe to be throwaway villains who get destroyed pretty quickly.

As for getting banned, it would obviously be from the rating manipulation and multiple accounts.

Scarlust Wrote: To those authors who are scrolling through the forums and have found this post, take it as a warning. Someone, out there is dedicated enough to fake a friendship with you for several months so you can write their fantasy fiction exactly how they imagined it.
Hahaha, a few months. If you can manage it for 1-2 years, you might get somewhere with me.

Bottom line is, if you want a self-insert, write it yourself. Don't be an asshole.
If you want others to write you into their stories, be an awesome character.
(I say this as someone who writes a self-insert and appears in three other people's fiction.)

unice5656 Wrote: Bottom line is, if you want a self-insert, write it yourself. Don't be an asshole.
If you want others to write you into their stories, be an awesome character.
(I say this as someone who writes a self-insert and appears in three other people's fiction.)

I know this is certainly not what you intended to happen but this idea opens up a new line of thought that could further the research efforts of this satirical forum thread.

The effort to write a fiction yourself has been previously considered as something that would inherently go against the mindset of someone intending to manipulate a another author so they don't have to put in the work themselves. However if we take unice's idea of creating your own character with the intention of others using them in their own fictions you can come out of it with greater returns than what went into the task of making a cool character that represents yourself. You additionally skip any potential miscommunication on how the self-insertee should behave as you have created an entire textbook of appropriate behaviour and situational response which the prospective author will have already read. 

With this methodology - which I shall dub Fanfictology - you could easily triple your initial investment in the foundations of a character and its bound to continue paying dividends. Since new authors are born every day you can confidently put your days as a self-insert pauper behind you and enter an early retirement as new work will continue to be produced.