Re: Tips for writers just starting off

My advice would to always get your work translated into different languages and then bringing your work to different markets. This will always help you target a greater audience. In fact the majority of translated books have made a lot of sales. Check this - https://translatehub.org/most-translated-books/ . And always devise interesting content. You need to think in terms of your audience, for example, what will be their likes and dislikes. If you think like a reader, you will always be successful.

I would say that the most important thing is to write a story you like. You need to be as much, if not more, invested in the characters and world as your readers. This mostly works with very exploratory writing, but more or less make it so that you write for yourself first of all. This help A LOT with burnout and getting stuck. One of the worst things that can happen to an author is when they begin to dislike their own work. I would do this even to the extent that it may make your story less popular.

More specific and RR-centric than the majority of the advice here, but I wrote a big reddit post about being successful on RR which also includes some general writing advice. Lots of people seemed to like it, so I'm just throwing it out there. 

It's by no means the best guide out there nor will everything I say be universally agreed upon, but that's just my experience and the advice of people far greater than me.

Any advice for aspiring writers has been highly sought after. However, you still have to rely only on your tastes and feelings because only in this way can your creativity be extraordinary. You can break away from all the rules and become a real sensation in the world of literature. In particular, if you study regularly examples of essays and stories, you can get a certain skill and use it in the future when writing your works, but do not forget that you must be unique and you should not try to copy the style of someone

• Write your whole story first. An imaginary audience can't demotivate you. 
  • Look over the first five chapters, and try to see if there's any of these chapters that would make for a more exciting start point. Be ready to completely trashcan your original start point. You're looking for a point in your story where there's only 2 or less characters, the MC is immediately introduced, next to no worldbuilding, and there's an easy hook sentence. 
  • On the hook sentence: 

DO NOT: "In 300 Adentum time, there was a great magical historical empire that set down a treaty of cooperation with their neighboring states, and everyone loved them, and the princess that everyone adored, because she was very beautiful... <Did you glaze over yet? Yeah, that's why this isn't how you wanna start.> and so the whole set of this hidden history rested upon the pink sandals of princess who-cares. Of which, our main hero had unknowingly decided to steal as he was wrapping up the real job, having successfully heisted his target. This last second on-the-whim decision had the whole compound suddenly chasing after him."

DO: "Oh shit, I'm going to die because of these stupid pink sandals." 
  • Post your fic to another site first, and gather initial feedback + a small core following.
  • Post on RR two chapters a day for max efficiency, and mobilize your readership once you have enough chapter to retain new readers.
  • Everyone's a critic. If you make your character OP, they'll yell at you for making a 2D character. If you make your character flawed realistically, they'll say the character's annoying or doesn't fit their self-insert imagination. If you make your character fake-flawed in the 'my biggest weakness is how humble I am", guess what - they'll say your character isn't 'realistic'.

Placate, and ignore. Do not argue back or defend your character. If they're posting, they can't be convinced to think they might be wrong. Just trust the process and the path that you picked and keep going. It's your story, so write it.  

Edit and polish your material. Here are a few tips I learned along the way:

Actively seek out and destroy redundancy. The writer's brain knows what it's trying to get across and easily puts the same word into paragraphs multiple times. Readers brains notice this and get annoyed.

Eliminate any unnecessary words. The word "that" can be removed from almost every sentence without changing the meaning one bit. Getting rid of it makes these sentences less clunky.

"Toward" or "Towards" - Both forms are technically correct; however most people, including many talented indie authors I've read, aren't aware that "Toward" is the preferred form of the word in the United States and Canada while "Towards" is the preferred form in the UK. If you're otherwise using American English, go with "Toward."

Use the word "get" sparingly or not at all. It might be fine in dialogue, but in almost every other case, it can be replaced with a more interesting word.

Know (or at least look up on Google) the differences between lay, lie, and laid. They aren't interchangeable, and people use them incorrectly a lot of the time. Same with "Their," "There," and "They're," and "To," "Two," and "Too."

Show, don't tell, unless you're summarizing mundane things. If your character went to the bank yesterday, you can tell that because it's only of minor importance. If your character discovering the secrets of life, be descriptive about what they're experiencing.

First person, third person limited, or third person omniscient? I'm personally not a huge fan of first person, and many shared worlds like Star Trek, or The Forgotten Realms (back in the good old days when WotC still published fiction) required writers to write in third person limited perspective. That's my preferred mode. If you want to jump from one point of view character to another, put a break in the text. Some writers like third person omniscient, and it does make describing combat scenes a little easier, but many readers find it confusing.

When you're describing something, it helps to do so from the point of view of the character who's head you're currently in. "The manor was blue" is so much more interesting when you say something more like, "Rathorn regarded the blue manor." You can then go on to give the character's opinion about the thing you're describing, if he or she has one.

Write sentences shorter to increase the tempo. In a combat scene, short sentences are good. When writing description, longer, more complex sentences are usually more appropriate.

I'll edit this if I think of with more.