Re: Family and Friends

I have a conundrum.  I have a very large, extensive, and supportive family.  I have a book I want funding for and know that certain members would fund it if I put myself out into that arena.  These are all good things yes?

I have subjects that may be a bit touchy in my book.  Such topics as slavery, humanoid consumption, deity perspective, evolution, light cannibalism, cold pragmatic familial brutality, and general unhappiness.  I am not that kind of person and outside of context of my book don't reflect any of these things.  So I've not put myself out there.  I want the jumpstart without the judgment or feeling like I need to explain.  Thing is I will probably need to at some point out myself because I full on intend on this becoming at first supplemental income and then a career.  So does anyone have any advice here?

(I would be removing my second far less complete book entirely if I did this.  I would only leave my world building book in my siggy.)

Krahie Wrote: I think it'd be just fine for you to tell them about it. I'd just make sure they know what they're getting into beforehand so there aren't any surprises, since those are pretty heavy and harsh story elements that not everyone may enjoy or be able to handle.

Yeah outside the context the elements are used in they can come off as extreme.   Within the context of the story they're just somewhat savage/brutal as a result of semi warring hunter gather type of culture.  

As things go on that will might tame down to just good ole warfare and intolerance.

I probably need a better delivery?

Well I think there are several thing to be aware of in this situation.

Firstly, is that authors have the worst browser histories. Messed up stuff are crucial for proper plot and conflict at times, and this should be made clear as being part of being a writer. It’s our job to mentally go into those dark places and dance around a little. Use that as your shield if nothing else.

Another thing is wholesomeness. If you are concerned how other will view your work just be clear to yourself how you believe your work should be viewed. Do you see your book as handling such dark subjects with the proper respect? The proper solemnity? Do you use them as a tool for the plot to manipulate your characters or have you gone a bit into excess and reveled too much in temptation? Be clear with your self image before you present yourself to others if you’re having concerns. It good to just double check these kinds of things, the same with double checking things that require research to make sure you’re not being an idiot.

It’s sort of life public speaking, confidence can often be more impactful than the actual content. Find the point you’re trying to make with all the dark themes and stick with it. You have your reasons. Being “professional” is about presentation, the word comes from “profess”, it is what you claim to be, what you say you are, more than what your skills are underneath, though those are important for maintaining professionalism. In other words, professionalism in many ways begins before the capability to be so does. It’s more of a mentality than training in a way.

Also yes, warn them beforehand. Tell them straight what the book is and is not front up. Don’t think you have anything to hide. An author is like a surgeon, you should be able to talk about people being cut up with a straight face. But don’t let them come back saying the book wasn’t what they expected because you are going to tell them as directly as possible.

Also don’t mooch too much. Depending on personalities and relationship dynamics you can listen and follow suggestions but it’s still your story.

Just add some content warnings, i honestly doubt most readers will have a problem with such, and the rest wont throw a fit if they were warned beforehand (always those who dont and thus throw a fit)
Just write your story the way you want it, though of course avoid using such things too often.

The subjects you mentioned are pretty much those that are in common discussion. Great authors write about them, too. Anthony Burgess wrote about cannibalism becoming socially trendy, and people indulging in it to keep up their status. 
Write these subjects as if you are concerned with the ultimate fate of humanity, and you will be alright by your people. If not, you may need to acquire new people.
So long as it isn't a silly harem novel, they should understand.