Re: Is it better to release shorter chapters but more frequently?

From what I've seen, yes. I as well write a lot for my chapters. My first chapter is around 20k words. So, to release frequently I split the chapter up into part. My parts range from 500 to 3000 words.

Although uploading frequently makes you rush. I had all the currently posted parts done before I uploaded them. However, I needed to thoroughly edit them as it was months before I wrote them and I did some stupid things meaning I also needed to rewrite stuff. This led to noticing many mistakes after release.

I am posting daily but plan to move to every couple of days and then many once a week. All so my quality improves. However, to gain views and followers (traction) uploading daily is the best. which is why you should slowly become less frequent if you want to improve quality.

My advice would be to try and post frequently but if you need to rewrite or edit something, don't rush to upload it. You can miss a day.

Edit: Of course I am still new but I found many other threads saying the same thing when I was wondering. I did originally post my first chapter without splitting it into parts. I got like 3o views in two days. 

Kamikoto Wrote: From what I've seen, yes. I as well write a lot for my chapters. My first chapter is around 20k words. So, to release frequently I split the chapter up into part. My parts range from 500 to 3000 words.

Although uploading frequently makes you rush. I had all the currently posted parts done before I uploaded them. However, I needed to thoroughly edit them as it was months before I wrote them and I did some stupid things meaning I also needed to rewrite stuff. This led to noticing many mistakes after release.

I am posting daily but plan to move to every couple of days and then many once a week. All so my quality improves. However, to gain views and followers (traction) uploading daily is the best. which is why you should slowly become less frequent if you want to improve quality.

My advice would be to try and post frequently but if you need to rewrite or edit something, don't rush to upload it. You can miss a day.

Edit: Of course I am still new but I found many other threads saying the same thing when I was wondering. I did originally post my first chapter without splitting it into parts. I got like 3o views in two days. 

Thank you so much for the response!

Kamikoto Wrote: From what I've seen, yes. I as well write a lot for my chapters. My first chapter is around 20k words. So, to release frequently I split the chapter up into part. My parts range from 500 to 3000 words.

I am also guessing that I shouldn't be expecting lots of views/comments during the first few chapters.
I am definitely not going to be uploading daily because I am a 15 year old in highschool but I will definitely try to continue the story at my own pace!

ChickenIndeed Wrote:

I am also guessing that I shouldn't be expecting lots of views/comments during the first few chapters.
I am definitely not going to be uploading daily because I am a 15 year old in highschool but I will definitely try to continue the story at my own pace!

Hmm, it depends on what genre you will be writing plus what your definition of lots is. I have about 1.4k views with 14 chapters in 15 days i think. I have gained three comments. You won't get a lot of comments. Luckily even as a nearly 17-year old, I have time to write. Hopefully, you can write as much as possible whilst balancing school and produce a great story! I wish you luck. 

Frequent releases definitely maximize your exposure.

Do be careful of too short chapters though, they can quickly become frustrating.
Personally, I really don't like reading a chapter where there is only exposure and when nothing happens. And even if I'm binge reading them, clicking on "Next Chapter" every two minutes can quickly become annoying. I'd say 1000 words is the minimal words count to have reasonably long chapters.

At the very least, be relatively consistent with your chapter length. If you rocket between 500 words and 5000 words, your readers won't know what to expect with each new chapter. Should they put time aside or can they read it while they wait in line for coffee?

I will say I've dropped a few fics that consistently had very short chapters. (I'm pretty sure they were all 1k words or under.) There wasn't much room for things to happen and I was constantly getting kicked out of the story flow by the seconds between clicking "next chapter" and the new chapter actually loading. The ends of each chapter weren't "pause and reflect/anticipate" points - it was more like a weird and annoying delay between random paragraphs. They were the equivalent of speed bumps placed every few feet and just as pleasant.

It really depends on more than just exposure, like on almost everything about it. True, for beginning that is important, but there are also other ways than just to wait on "Latest Updates" (reviews/swaps, more posts in the forum with a link in the signature, self-rec). So if it would hurt the flow of the story don't go too short for the sake of everyday releases. But I'd say being consistent at the start is just as important, so even if you write a lot maybe hold some of it back to have posts regularly, on any kind of schedule, even a loose one. It would help with edits, feedback and comment activity. Even if you write a big chapter, it should be easy to split in parts at the right places. Plus when you get it going an occasional extra chapter or length is always a nice surprise and appreciated.
I personally don't mind short or long (even in extremes and random from one to the next) as long it is interesting and I know that there would be more of it soon. 
Whatever you decide it is fine if you later experiment to see for yourself and if you shift and change up the established norm. When you have material in reserve and decent following the next best thing is to ask your readers what they prefer if you have no problems with it.

It's a matter of taste. Me, I don't like overlong chapters, but I know my own are way too short.

Though, there's a reason for that...

In my case it s is deliberate. Unfortunately I am a slow and easily distracted writer with a job, and on top of that English isn't my native language (I'm Dutch). Keeping things 'byte sized' helps me focus on specific events or concepts, to make sure I am going to finish this story some day.

Though it looks as if the writing gets easier and the chapters a little longer the further I get into the story. Which doesn't mean it's getting any better :-)

Yeah man. 700 word chapters are just as valid as 3500 word chapters and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Web fiction, because it's on the web, almost innately encourages shorter chapters to keep people clicking and so that if they have to pause mid-chapter they won't have to scroll around for five minutes later on trying to figure out where they left off. As long as your chapters are good, it doesn't matter what length they are.

I am the reason tl;Dr exists.

That being said, I am learning to judge my chapters by how long it takes to read them. If I cant read through them  in 10 minutes, I know I need to edit severely.

WHy 10 minutes: that is the length of a break at work. It is the length of a shower. It is the length of an animated short, a decent music video, or the time between commercial breaks on broadcast TV. 10 minutes is the time it takes to half-bake a pan of tator tots (at which point you have to flip it to broil to finish it off), and roughly the maximum amount of time one can stand to drive to a destination before it can be considered a "Too far away" to visit regularly

and if I can't read it out loud in ten minutes, it can't reliably be told. so it's more of a timing issue for me.
let's talk averages then. according to wikipedia, people fluent in English read out loud an average of 150 words per minute and read silently about 300 WPM. multiply that by 10 minutes and you have a reliable idea of the average person's capability to read your work during their 10 minutes of whatever they are doing. this is then 1500 to 3000 words per chapter. The lower limit is important for audiobook reasons. The upper limit is because it is safest to work with averages in your audience.

They both have their pros and cons.

The good side of short chapters is that you can write them more quickly, and they're a lot easier to edit. The frequent updates also means that people are more likely to notice the fiction, and fictions with more chapters have a more "reliable" appearance.

The bad side of short chapters is that you can't do as much with each one, since you have less space to work with. Scenes are more likely to be cut in half, and chapter endings are more likely to feel like cliffhangers.

The good side of long chapters is that you can do pretty much whatever you want. Scenes can feel more real, because you have time to add more details. Conversations can last longer, so they feel less like exposition. Chapters have actual substance to them, rather than just hinting that something interesting will happen tomorrow.

The bad side of long chapters is that they take more time to write, and can be a real pain to edit. Trying to meet a "minimum" word count can also cause scenes to drag on longer than they should. Because they get updated less frequently, they don't get noticed as easily. Then, some people that do notice it won't bother reading anyway because they don't have time to read the entire chapter all at once.

Personally, I prefer longer chapters.

When I first started my fiction, I tried to keep around 3k to 5k words, but that quickly started to feel constraining. Now I average around 5k to 8k. I've had to slow my updates from twice a week to once a week, but I feel like I'm currently getting more done with individual chapters than I used to with two.

I write to express the story I am compelled to write. Some of the chapters breach 5K, some are much shorter. Math says the average is about 1.8 K, but the variance is wide. No doubt phone app readers like shorter chapters, I understand that, but if they get their wish, it isn't because  I purposely diddled my writing to do so.  It might be a good thought, but then, there is the inexorable pull of words to page as the story unfolds. I'm afraid my control over this process is, I'm ashamed to say, limited. I'm not happy having to  "Part out" chapters artificially and after the fact. I don't think my words are gold, but for good or bad, outside of actually editing content, I tend to put it up as writ, with very rare exception. So far, I've been pleased with the response here, and if the story garners only the true believers who want to immerse themselves in it, perhaps I share something with them, that I do not with others, and am fine with that.   I would say, that how you limit, mount, and respond to your own fiction is your own business and choice.I post frequently, based on the pace I see from chapter read counts, feeling responsible to see to it the content is available as they want it. When what appears to be the core readers finish the last posted one, I upload more.  Sometimes this is inconvenient for me,  but I also feel obligated.  Looking back, seems to average about every four to ten hours. Hope this helps.

It mostly depends on what you're looking for by posting and how long the current project you're working on is. 

If you're looking for exposure and more eyes on your novel, I would recommend consistent and frequent posts. At twelve chapters, I already have 3.4k views, 94 followers, and 23 favorites, as well as 29 ratings and ~60 comments. If you're looking to improve rapidly through the critic of others, more exposure is a good way to go. 

If you're working on a long project and simply want people to read your novel, I recommend posting as often as possible, basically break up your chapters where plot points calm down, to increase exposure but not enough to break the flow of your story. 

Frequent updates are good, but what's even better is consistent updates. Your readers being able to anticipate when you're going to upload is a huge factor in your readers coming back for more.