Re: What's a good way to avoid info dumps?

I just wanted to say this is a FANTASTIC thread. I have been 'accused' of info dumping by beta readers in the past, even though they were maybe 2-3 paragraphs tops and in the midst of a running conversation or active scene. The opinions here have really helped with the context of what really is the "info dump" and why we sometimes need them, but also how to apply. One of my biggest challenges was dealing with the modern expectation of shorter stories by betas (like wrap this up in 90K words or else, kinda thing), but in fantasy, that's not always the way. Someone here mentioned longer books are just worlds in larger detail, a product of the genre I believe as well. So thank you everyone, it's a great community for insight like this! 

GenevieveG Wrote: I just wanted to say this is a FANTASTIC thread. I have been 'accused' of info dumping by beta readers in the past, even though they were maybe 2-3 paragraphs tops and in the midst of a running conversation or active scene. The opinions here have really helped with the context of what really is the "info dump" and why we sometimes need them, but also how to apply. One of my biggest challenges was dealing with the modern expectation of shorter stories by betas (like wrap this up in 90K words or else, kinda thing), but in fantasy, that's not always the way. Someone here mentioned longer books are just worlds in larger detail, a product of the genre I believe as well. So thank you everyone, it's a great community for insight like this!
2-3 paragraphs is A LOT. A couple minutes of reading

I’ve noticed a lot of the time the author explains things that are either obvious or unnecessary to know. Like if it’s a litrpg: strength increase your your ability to carry heavy things. Well no shit. Or the nodanien kingdom was ruled by six kings all of which are now dead and not needed info.

The prologue to lord of the rings is not really needed either. They talk about the whole thing later.