Re: Using Kumu.io to outline

SO, a bunch of friends and I are working on WIPs. I am also a tabletop gamer, and one tool I found immeasurably useful for keeping track of character arcs is called kumu.io. When we started our projects, (we are following John Truby's the Anatatomy of Story to design our work) I found that kumu.io was really useful to outline and connect the elements of my story.

Unicorn Hunter outlining at kumu

Re: Using Kumu.io to outline

Oh network tools are nothing really new, but I play Vampire the Masquerade, and one of my characters is an influencer and a mobster. it became critical to the character's survival to know what he knows and to know what he is connected to so that he can learn who to "influence" next, who might be betraying him, and why. A lot of people on the Onyx path discord were using it in their chronicles so I thought, well, as open as kumu is, as long as you are willing to learn the system, there is no reason why it can't be used to outline considering I know lots of writers who use sticky notes on the wall and this is essentially that, just way more useful than sticky notes and string. For example, the way the math works in kumu, based on the information you feed it, it might help you close plot holes, or create solutions for roadblocks in writing by showing how the connections between the people flow, which characters are actually more important or less important based on algorithms, maybe even where you are actually missing a character or a scene or where the scenes might make better sense, the same way that movie directors move around scenes. It's a very versatile system