Re: The readers for my story keep decreasing per chapter

Okay, I discovered that the views for my story keeps decreasing per chapter. Like the first chapter has a lot more readers than the second chapter. The decrease in readers per chapter is gradual. Is this a thing every writer experiences or it is just my story?
I am now worrying about the bleeding figures and can't concentrate on my writing at all. Should i edit my first chapter?

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/29628/the-rise-of-the-third-slotter

It's normal! Views go down as people look to see if they like your story or not.  

I try not to look at it either or I'd go crazy. 

As for editing your first chapter. I'd keep writing cause once you start doing intense editing. I know a few writers who get stuck in perpetual self-doubt and that would destroy you! 

Or I guess a lot of us are like that. So keep going! Ignore the problems and plow ahead. 

Heck. There are plenty of stories that make no sense but still get lots of followers. 

Views are not everything friend :D

*refreshes dashboard* yeah.... views arent everything >.> <.<

but srsly, don't worry so much about view counts.

If you seriously think you should be getting more views, consider how you are engaging with your audience on Royal Road.
Tags, Book Cover, Synopsis, Reviews, Forum.
Thats your engagement point with readers, you need to make sure it is a good representation of your work, make it as attractive as possible too.
If all you do is update the story, the only way new readers will find you is searching, or the updated stories page.

To increase your availability, try regular forum posting >.> <.< (not my only reason for posting in the forum) *SHHHH*
Put your book in your signature, that way whenever you post something people like, or something useful. you may pick up a reader.
I think you can review swap too which could increase peoples awareness of your work.

===CRITICISM==== BE WARNED==== I have been told I can be accidentally brutal=======

ALLLSO, tried to read your first chapter.... tried to read the first paragraph...  yeah... I would consider re-formatting the thing, there is this free app called Hemmingway, which I use because I struggle with comma's and periods.  It can help make your work more readable.
But yeah, I would definitely break up that first paragraph, its a hard slog to get through.
now, I am not saying what you have written is bad. what I am saying is its hard to read. if you just break up the paragraphs a bit more and work on some better formatting, you could easily make it much more approachable. 

I am not all that interested in it in the first place as it's not really my kind of book so, when it is hard to read, im likely to get about 3-4 sentences in and then give up. so If it gets better later. Ill have no idea.
You wan't your story to be easy to read, easy to follow and easy to pick up, hard to put down.  A curious reader who gets further into your story is more likely to keep reading.

Invest in some beta readers, get some friends and family to look it over for you. I use my room mate and my dnd gaming group to critique my work. Do not only use people who already like it, use people you know may not like it. often they may tell you the truth a friend would be unwilling to tell you.
==========================================

Well, yeah, wouldn't it be weird if a chapter had more views than the previous one? Less than 100% of people who read chapter 1 are going to read chapter 2, it's just a fact. And nobody is going to say "oh there's 24 chapters? I guess I'll start at chapter 6." Everyone starts at chapter 1, and the numbers will gradually decrease as you get closer to the newest chapter, just because not everyone is going to continue. 

Retention rates are EXTREMELY high on Royal Road compared to any other story posting site I've ever been on. Stuff like 30%, even 20% decreases between chapter 1 and 2 are unthinkable elsewhere, but common here. Generally a 50% drop between chapters during the early parts (chapters 1-10, generally) is perfectly normal, maybe even seen as a good thing. On here, maybe less so, but as long as you aren't losing more than 50% of your readership between chapters, you're OK.

Absolutely normal, nothing to be alarmed of.
As Prey said, a lot of people will check out your first chapters and will end up dropping the story if it doesn't fit their taste. Don't be disheartened about this, this is totally normal, you can't please everyone. Consider yourself as a shopkeeper. A lot of people will check out your goods, but only a small part of them will end up buying them. 
Some will simply lose interest as the story progress. And you also have to take in account that the first chapters are the ones who get the most re-read.

On the side note, your story is still new. So try not to care to much about views. I understand the desperate need of feedback at first, but it will attract more readers with time ^^

Wrote: Views are not everything friend :D

*refreshes dashboard* yeah.... views arent everything >.> <.<

but srsly, don't worry so much about view counts.

If you seriously think you should be getting more views, consider how you are engaging with your audience on Royal Road.
Tags, Book Cover, Synopsis, Reviews, Forum.
Thats your engagement point with readers, you need to make sure it is a good representation of your work, make it as attractive as possible too.
If all you do is update the story, the only way new readers will find you is searching, or the updated stories page.

To increase your availability, try regular forum posting >.> <.< (not my only reason for posting in the forum) *SHHHH*
Put your book in your signature, that way whenever you post something people like, or something useful. you may pick up a reader.
I think you can review swap too which could increase peoples awareness of your work.

===CRITICISM==== BE WARNED==== I have been told I can be accidentally brutal=======

ALLLSO, tried to read your first chapter.... tried to read the first paragraph...  yeah... I would consider re-formatting the thing, there is this free app called Hemmingway, which I use because I struggle with comma's and periods.  It can help make your work more readable.
But yeah, I would definitely break up that first paragraph, its a hard slog to get through.
now, I am not saying what you have written is bad. what I am saying is its hard to read. if you just break up the paragraphs a bit more and work on some better formatting, you could easily make it much more approachable. 

I am not all that interested in it in the first place as it's not really my kind of book so, when it is hard to read, im likely to get about 3-4 sentences in and then give up. so If it gets better later. Ill have no idea.
You wan't your story to be easy to read, easy to follow and easy to pick up, hard to put down.  A curious reader who gets further into your story is more likely to keep reading.

Invest in some beta readers, get some friends and family to look it over for you. I use my room mate and my dnd gaming group to critique my work. Do not only use people who already like it, use people you know may not like it. often they may tell you the truth a friend would be unwilling to tell you.
==========================================

Thanks man, really helped. i am dying for some feedback and reviews. i will certainly look into the app and the formatting.