Re: Which cover art should I use?

I think second character looks the best composition wise, but I dunno, first ones colors are better imo and placement of titles and character are better.

Also the middle of the cover is very busy in the second one, try glancing at the cover and then away quickly, if you can't recognize the title in that quick look, then possibly try and put it above the character or into a less busy spot.

I think id move the character in the second one down to the right a bit to give myself some empty space to put the titles along the top, also remember the rule of 3's, an unbalanced image is often more striking than one which is centered.
You could easily lose part of the characters shoulder and gun barrel, it would not take away from the image in any way to scooch it a little out of frame off to the right.

- 3d animator/2d artist by trade if that helps - done the leveling up in the relevant skills Wink 

I agree with Fernicus across the board.

Personally, I like the 2nd one more - in particular, I like the visual strength of the character. But, art aside, it is a book cover and needs to advertise the book name more than anything else! Art is more emotive for book covers, less something to dissect.

1) The title-character-background layout should put more focus on the title. I see three approaches to the layout - drop the character down (roughly waist at the bottom) to make room at the top, and then scale it down a bit. Or you could scale the character down and fade it out to the background (existing or new) - this is my preferred and is fairly standard in book covers because the center contains the imagery and gives you 3 segments to work with (title, image, author). Or you could offset it to one side (which I like the least of the options.)

2) Given the above, the title should be at the top or bottom, or at least not on top of the character. Synchronization as a font works, but I'm not convinced the color is the best fit. My recommendation is that you use the title at the top, with "Cyber Clash Online" in a single line (small characters, may have to try a couple of fonts if it looks odd), then scale up Synchronization to the same width. You may want a taller font for "Synchronization" to stretch it out to draw more attention. In an ideal world, you don't want to have dark outline and white outline follow each other - better if "Synchronization" has natural contrast (so no need for an outline) or "Synchronization" was textured in a way that makes it more defined. Might also have to watch out for using 3 fonts instead of two, especially if the text is adjacent to one another.

3) You may have to mess with the color composition a bit. I fiddled around with a color wheel and couldn't find what I was looking for, but specifically the color of the title doesn't fit. My instinct is green (trying #93a649 or #52a64b) with the current background but that doesn't match the story itself.  I like the background texture, but I'm not convinced it's the right match for the character. My first instinct is textured (light) purple/gradient to green-blue smoke (with low density). That might be completely off though! The idea, though, is to make it "smoother". Straight lines make your eye follow them, and right now it doesn't lead to anything of note (well, except her head... which isn't the important part of a cover!) The washed out background in the first image, for instance! In this case, you might get away with having a black top (background fades out) and just have a purple (maybe textured) title.

Sorry, hopefully that wasn't too much. I just kinda started looking at it and got carried away...

Wrote: I think second character looks the best composition wise, but I dunno, first ones colors are better imo and placement of titles and character are better.

Also the middle of the cover is very busy in the second one, try glancing at the cover and then away quickly, if you can't recognize the title in that quick look, then possibly try and put it above the character or into a less busy spot.

I think id move the character in the second one down to the right a bit to give myself some empty space to put the titles along the top, also remember the rule of 3's, an unbalanced image is often more striking than one which is centered.
You could easily lose part of the characters shoulder and gun barrel, it would not take away from the image in any way to scooch it a little out of frame off to the right.

- 3d animator/2d artist by trade if that helps - done the leveling up in the relevant skills Wink

Hey thank you! I didn't draw the art myself So i might have to get my hands dirty in photoshop, but I totally agree with your points. I really appreciate the feedback!

Wrote: I agree with Fernicus across the board.

Personally, I like the 2nd one more - in particular, I like the visual strength of the character. But, art aside, it is a book cover and needs to advertise the book name more than anything else! Art is more emotive for book covers, less something to dissect.

1) The title-character-background layout should put more focus on the title. I see three approaches to the layout - drop the character down (roughly waist at the bottom) to make room at the top, and then scale it down a bit. Or you could scale the character down and fade it out to the background (existing or new) - this is my preferred and is fairly standard in book covers because the center contains the imagery and gives you 3 segments to work with (title, image, author). Or you could offset it to one side (which I like the least of the options.)

2) Given the above, the title should be at the top or bottom, or at least not on top of the character. Synchronization as a font works, but I'm not convinced the color is the best fit. My recommendation is that you use the title at the top, with "Cyber Clash Online" in a single line (small characters, may have to try a couple of fonts if it looks odd), then scale up Synchronization to the same width. You may want a taller font for "Synchronization" to stretch it out to draw more attention. In an ideal world, you don't want to have dark outline and white outline follow each other - better if "Synchronization" has natural contrast (so no need for an outline) or "Synchronization" was textured in a way that makes it more defined. Might also have to watch out for using 3 fonts instead of two, especially if the text is adjacent to one another.

3) You may have to mess with the color composition a bit. I fiddled around with a color wheel and couldn't find what I was looking for, but specifically the color of the title doesn't fit. My instinct is green (trying #93a649 or #52a64b) with the current background but that doesn't match the story itself.  I like the background texture, but I'm not convinced it's the right match for the character. My first instinct is textured (light) purple/gradient to green-blue smoke (with low density). That might be completely off though! The idea, though, is to make it "smoother". Straight lines make your eye follow them, and right now it doesn't lead to anything of note (well, except her head... which isn't the important part of a cover!) The washed out background in the first image, for instance! In this case, you might get away with having a black top (background fades out) and just have a purple (maybe textured) title.

Sorry, hopefully that wasn't too much. I just kinda started looking at it and got carried away...

No need to be sorry! I truly appreciate all the advice and feedback! Sounds like I need to open photoshop and start messing with the file. This was the default given to me by the artist so I haven't messed with it much, but your points all make sense! I'm trying to get better at understanding this sort of thing and so truly appreciate it =)

https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FkXpVkBXR%2FYsQirKm.png

mmm something like dat. >.>  I was bored  I added some deeper shadows, cos it makes the character pop more like how the first one is done.  but yeh, that might give you something to chuck your art guy. or whatevs.

If you don't have the art without text over it, theres a tool called content aware fill, in photoshop, can help you get rid of stuff and fill it with what it thinks should be there. used by photo retouchers to take things out the background of photos, remove blemishes from models and so on.

Wrote: https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FkXpVkBXR%2FYsQirKm.png

mmm something like dat. >.>  I was bored  I added some deeper shadows, cos it makes the character pop more like how the first one is done.  but yeh, that might give you something to chuck your art guy. or whatevs.

If you don't have the art without text over it, theres a tool called content aware fill, in photoshop, can help you get rid of stuff and fill it with what it thinks should be there. used by photo retouchers to take things out the background of photos, remove blemishes from models and so on.

I really like the positioning and font placement! I will try and find the source file and see if I can mess with it =)

Wrote: To me the first one really stands out. The lighting makes it seem almost 3D. The second one is quite good as well, but seems more flat. 
Wrote: I don't know who did the colors for the first cover, but they did a phenomenal job with it. 

I would probably pick it up to browse it if I saw it in a bookstore.

I agree! I really really love the lighting and colors!