Re: Where are the rules and basic how-tos?

Hi all,

I'm interested in publishing on RR but am having trouble finding the basics.  Can someone please point me to answers for the following?:
  • What are the policies of the site?  Most publishing sites, e.g. SufficientVelocity, have a single page that lay out all the Dos and Don'ts for their site, but I can't find anything equivalent for RR.  The only thing I've seen is "Don't mention real-world religions or you may be banned", which took me by surprise.
  • Can I upload in HTML format or is my only option to use the WYSIWYG editor? 
  • If HTML is cool, does the site allow me to use my own CSS?
Thanks for any pointers.

EDIT:  Huh.  In the WYSIWYG editor I see the above as a bullet list, but when I post it shows the literal BBCode instead of rendering it.  Is that normal or am I misunderstanding something?  Also, there's a line rule above this in the WYSIWYG editor but not in the rendering.

EDIT 2:  Aha, found it.  In case anyone else is similarly confused, here's how to get there:

1. Make an account
2. Log in
3. Click the three-bars icon at top right
4. Click 'Support'
5. Click 'F.A.Q.'
6. Click 'Reviewing Rules' for the rules on writing reviews and then click 'Rules' for general rules about the site

I can't find anything about usable formats for upload, which suggests that the WYSIWYG editor is the only option. 

Wrote: > Assume you'll use the WYS editor.

Oh, bother.

Okay, thanks.

EDIT:  Ugh.  Testing showing that this is going to be more of a pain than I thought.  The WYSIWYG editor doesn't put any space between paragraphs.  I'll post a request; I know the editor is third-party but maybe there's something the admins can do.

If you're not getting space between paragraphs, something else is going on. By default, RR puts a full blank line below every paragraph. Just as an example, from one of my fictions: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28525/snipe/chapter/427049/chapter-1

This is largely unaltered formatting in RR. The only thing I've done is put indents on each paragraph. If you're not seeing text like this, you might need to investigate your method of writing or copypasting.

Wrote:

Oh, bother.

Okay, thanks.

EDIT:  Ugh.  Testing showing that this is going to be more of a pain than I thought.  The WYSIWYG editor doesn't put any space between paragraphs.  I'll post a request; I know the editor is third-party but maybe there's something the admins can do.

If you're not getting space between paragraphs, something else is going on. By default, RR puts a full blank line below every paragraph. Just as an example, from one of my fictions: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28525/snipe/chapter/427049/chapter-1

This is largely unaltered formatting in RR. The only thing I've done is put indents on each paragraph. If you're not seeing text like this, you might need to investigate your method of writing or copypasting.

Good to know. I write in raw HTML so I can control formatting by way of CSS and easily concert to other formats. I did a Select All in my browser, copy, paste, and got no blank lines. I'll try again.

Wrote:
Wrote:

Oh, bother.

Okay, thanks.

Good to know. I write in raw HTML so I can control formatting by way of CSS and easily concert to other formats. I did a Select All in my browser, copy, paste, and got no blank lines. I'll try again.

At the right end of the editor toolbar is a View Source button, which will allow you to write directly in HTML. Some CSS tags are blocked to make sure it doesn't break styling in general, but you can try pasting your content into that box and seeing the result in the WYSIWYG editor. 

For the most part though, I'd recommend keeping crazier styling ideas to a minimum—RR's formatting is already to a very nice balance for readability, and also includes additional controls for users in terms of font choice / width / size. These should be left in the hands of the reader, since you can't account for every possibility with regards to accessibility needs. Dyslexic readers tend to do better with sans-serif fonts, for example, while native speakers will enjoy serif fonts much more, some people prefer very wide paragraphs while others will want it squished down to 50%, so on. Let them handle that part of the formatting :)

Additionally, if you're trying to keep compatibility for many sites, I've found that RR's is already one of the most lenient in terms of what you can put into a post, so I'm not sure what else you'd really need. Since you don't seem to have any fictions posted yet, could you paste here (or PM me if you prefer) what you're trying to post? I might be able to help you out to get it how you want it to display.

Sweet! Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted. I'm heading for bed right now but will try it out tomorrow.

I don't generally do anything complicated with styling. The WYSIWYG editor does everything I typically use CSS for; I could get by without using CSS here, but it's what I write in and I'd prefer not to have to do a separate version. It's also convenient because HTML/CSS gives me that famous structure/presentation split so I can easily change the styling when I convert for other sites or other formats.