Re: How to Move Out of the Stagnant Followers Phase?

It's been 10 months since I posted my story here, and while I just returned from a 4-month long hiatus, even before then, I've been stuck at around 360 followers for at least half of the total time.

My question is, given that I'm only posting once a week with 1.5-2.5K words per chapter, how do I get out of this stagnant phase? Or in other words, attract newer readers now if I can't be listed on Trending, Popular this Week, etc.

Since I can't feasibly update more (school, work, writing other stories, etc.), is there no method within RR that I could possibly use to boost traffic to my story? If not, that's fine. I do need to update more eventually when I have consistently more free time. And I'm supposing that's the best way. But I figured I'd ask anyway.

Chryiss Wrote: It's been 10 months since I posted my story here, and while I just returned from a 4-month long hiatus, even before then, I've been stuck at around 360 followers for at least half of the total time.

My question is, given that I'm only posting once a week with 1.5-2.5K words per chapter, how do I get out of this stagnant phase? Or in other words, attract newer readers now if I can't be listed on Trending, Popular this Week, etc.

Since I can't feasibly update more (school, work, writing other stories, etc.), is there no method within RR that I could possibly use to boost traffic to my story? If not, that's fine. I do need to update more eventually when I have consistently more free time. And I'm supposing that's the best way. But I figured I'd ask anyway.
Maybe you should change the chapter number into the usual one? (e.g: chapter 1,2,3,4,...)

Most readers prefer high number of chapters and you have a lot of them. But unfortunately, your chapter numbering is misleading, and maybe they thought there are only 8 chapters.

I found that through daily posting I was getting about 8-10 a day once I got past 40 or so chapters.  I think that's about what you can expect from 'recently posted' if you aren't a huge name.

That isn't really long term sustainable, but I think them's just the breaks unless you can get someone to run around recommending you or pop up on trending.  I guess you could pay for advertising?  If you're looking to rack in them big patreon bucks maybe its worth treating it like a business investment?

I just tried to not compare myself to the other bigger stories.  I like having followers but I more wanted an active community of people to bounce ideas off of than anything.  There are just going to be stories with fewer chapters than me and more poorly written than mine that are going to do heads and shoulders better than me.  It's just the way of the world.

Good luck though!

I'm in the same boat; posting a chapter a week and I don't think my total number of followers or rank on the site has changed in months. The discovery features on this site reward prolific posting over steady progress, unfortunately, but them's the breaks.

I've been considering varying my publication day (I notice a better uptick when I post on non-standard days), but am leery of breaking my established schedule because that makes it more likely I'd miss a deadline.

If you do find a good method, please share! Very Happy

The thing is, once your story stop being new, it becomes significantly harder to gain readers as most of your potential readers have already followed your story. Personally, I earned my first thousand followers in maybe a month, while I earned that same number of followers in over two years. I was on hiatus most of the time, but that just show how much slower it is to gain new readers once your story is no longer new. You can still gain some, of course, but the best way to do that is, as you had expected, increasing your exposure by uploading for often. A weekly release isn't a really good scedule to attract more readers. It's more like the schedule you move on to once you have established your reader base.

On the side note, you can try expanding your reader base by uploading on other sites. This will boost it in one instant as a lot of people are exclusive to only one reading site. It'll be just like if your story was new again.

Hathnuz Wrote: Maybe you should change the chapter number into the usual one? (e.g: chapter 1,2,3,4,...)

Most readers prefer high number of chapters and you have a lot of them. But unfortunately, your chapter numbering is misleading, and maybe they thought there are only 8 chapters.
@Hathnuz
I've wondered this for a while now myself. It's numbered strangely that way because I'm writing this story in a classic book/novel way where a chapter is much more than a couple thousand words which is typical of a web serial. Technically, all of the chapters in one "larger chapter" go together and aren't meant to be broken up. I've had to change the style of how I end these broken up chapters in order to be somewhat of a cliffhanger/motivation to read the next "part." I'm considering changing it to what you said, and then make it into a "book/novel" format later on by combining the chapter parts.

kentusrpg Wrote: Did you already visit social media and such? If you can find respective groups for your genre that also allows promotion (though often regulated), it may give you a boost into readership.

Also, changing covers sometimes or even the blurb may help to make readers re-discover your story.
@kentusrpg
I literally do zero promotion lol. So that's probably a large factor in my problem, but I'm not active on social media anyway. Even during the times I was, I'm still pretty bad at staying consistently active for long. Eventually, maybe when the first book's complete, I do plan to become more active in order to promote. Finding respective groups...hmm I'll keep that in mind though I hardly know where to search to search for those haha! Changing covers or blurb sounds reasonable to keep it fresh.

Pauliuk Wrote: I have the same worry, I want to write more but my real life is very busy so I’m afraid I can only upload every week or so. I know I’m just starting and shouldn’t worry to much about followers right now but I also don’t know where I can promote my story besides here and Facebook.
@Pauliuk
Yup, exactly my problem. No idea where to start except maybe Facebook since that's the only "active" social media I'm ever really on sometimes. But that's not the best space considering it's instagram or other social medias where people are.

CoCop Wrote: I found that through daily posting I was getting about 8-10 a day once I got past 40 or so chapters.  I think that's about what you can expect from 'recently posted' if you aren't a huge name.

That isn't really long term sustainable, but I think them's just the breaks unless you can get someone to run around recommending you or pop up on trending.  I guess you could pay for advertising?  If you're looking to rack in them big patreon bucks maybe its worth treating it like a business investment?

I just tried to not compare myself to the other bigger stories.  I like having followers but I more wanted an active community of people to bounce ideas off of than anything.  There are just going to be stories with fewer chapters than me and more poorly written than mine that are going to do heads and shoulders better than me.  It's just the way of the world.

Good luck though!
@CoCop
Yeah I don't care to compare mine with the bigger names on this site lol. I'm just worried about stagnation followed by slowly decreasing numbers over time. Although, I guess it's a motivation to finish my story quickly so that I can revise and revamp it. Treating it as a business investment makes sense if I had the money to do so haha~ And if I felt my product was reasonably complete. And for sure, that happens a lot when other stories rocket to success. Thank you, and good luck yourself!

EO Wrote: I'm in the same boat; posting a chapter a week and I don't think my total number of followers or rank on the site has changed in months. The discovery features on this site reward prolific posting over steady progress, unfortunately, but them's the breaks.

I've been considering varying my publication day (I notice a better uptick when I post on non-standard days), but am leery of breaking my established schedule because that makes it more likely I'd miss a deadline.

If you do find a good method, please share! Very Happy
@EO Tenkey
One time, I tried updating on a different day and time each week, and it was so awkward for my readers. x'D It didn't work out so well, didn't see much of a difference, maybe because I'm dealing with small numbers anyway lol. So yeah, a consistent update day seems better in that case. Will let you know if I figure anything out!

Anjin Wrote: After having read a couple of posts on this topic I think you've hit the nail on the head with frequency of releases. 

My plan, as it stands, is to to do a week of daily releases every couple of months and then return to my once a week schedule. Hopefully that works... Hopefully.
@Anjin
Sounds like a good plan! I can't stock up chapters to do that, but I think you'll definitely see a burst during the daily release period.

Nerodith Wrote: The thing is, once your story stop being new, it becomes significantly harder to gain readers as most of your potential readers have already followed your story. Personally, I earned my first thousand followers in maybe a month, while I earned that same number of followers in over two years. I was on hiatus most of the time, but that just show how much slower it is to gain new readers once your story is no longer new. You can still gain some, of course, but the best way to do that is, as you had expected, increasing your exposure by uploading for often. A weekly release isn't a really good scedule to attract more readers. It's more like the schedule you move on to once you have established your reader base.

On the side note, you can try expanding your reader base by uploading on other sites. This will boost it in one instant as a lot of people are exclusive to only one reading site. It'll be just like if your story was new again.
@Nerodith
That's true. This story didn't start out on this writing platform, so I had the benefit of a few dozen chapters to upload every day for a short period of time before going weekly. I think that's how I was able to be on Trending for a few weeks and gain the current followers I have. I'm thinking about posting on other sites, but it's a hassle to upload on all of them since I don't have pre-scheduled release. As it is, I'm only updating on RR for that reason. But you make a good point, and I'll keep that option open for the future.

Sidenote: RR is being weird with making posts today. All the buttons are squished together and the quotes are in black when you're replying/typing. O_o