Re: What to do when your grammar is not good enough?

It needs to be at a level where you can avoid glaring and obvious mistakes. If you can write at that level you should be fine.  English for a school/research paper is strict and rigid and needs to follow the standard format.  You have to understand the rules before you can break, or bend, them. 

English in a novel can be fun and flexible.  Since you want to write a novel you need to get the point where you can write without the obvious grammatical errors.  And if your post is any indication then you have a ways to go my friend.  Download a program called Grammarly, it'll help. 

Unfortunately many people find bad grammar a big turn off when they start reading a book. As noted in the previous comment, software can help with that. Even Microsoft Word can fix some obvious grammar mistakes. However, no software is perfect so you need to have some knowledge of grammar. The bad news is; there's no quick shortcut to improving your grammar. Getting a good introductory grammar text helps, but more than anything you need to keep writing and proofreading. Make sure your writing makes sense and if not try and fix it. Reading other people's writing will also help you with picking up different grammar rules. Keep at it and good luck.

Let's make a tier list. Simply use Grammarly and your writing is at least C-tier. 

Minor: His nanm is David. The pig is larger then the house.
Major: he 8 of age and six ysstser.  

F- tier: Completely impossible to understand.
E-tier: A lot of major and minor grammar mistakes. Possibly ridiculously long sentences. 
D-tier: Some major mistakes and quite a few minor. Possibly ridiculously long sentences. 
C-tier: Some mistakes and on extremely rare occasion major ones.  
B-tier: Basically no spelling mistakes.
A-tier: Basically no spelling mistakes, with effective sentences and paragraphs. Aka lacking redundant or repetitive words.  

I don't read anything under D-tier.

Lemonchamp Wrote: How good my grammar needs to be in order to make a novel readable?
Better than this.  Sorry.  Is the issue age / knowledge / ability, or is English not your primary language?  Based on these posts, I'm betting second.  The two major issues I'm seeing are tense confusion and plurality.  Is vs are, for example.  On this post, good grammar would be " How good does my grammar need to be in order to make a novel readable? "   

Hello there.

English is my second language too.

You can get a lot of flack for having bad grammar, but there are ways to try and minimize sucky grammar.

Always try and improve yourself. Learn on youtube. Read books on grammar. Check out guides on the forums here etc. If you find anything that can help improve your grammar, do it! Use different grammar checkers to evaluate your work, but there is a catch. When a checker flags something and you don't understand why. Study first- find out why it was flagged rather than just accepting the suggestion. You do this for two reasons; You learn from it and checkers can be wrong too. Take a normal book and read it. Maybe read three pages at a time and then take it apart. Look at where commas and other such things were placed and if you don't understand why- try and find out the reasons behind it. 
Good luck with the rest. In my limited experience, writing is a skill that can grow and evolve into something great, or it can stagnate depending on what you feed it. 

I don't care at all about typos and occassional messups in web fiction, because those are a consequence of web fiction lacking a community of editors. But if the grammar is anywhere to the point that I'd rate it below a 4.5-star rating on the Advanced Review option, I will probably stop reading the story immediately. Grammar is a fundamental part of writing and must be mastered for anyone 

My advice: Take a couple weeks and just read a style guide. I recommend the Chicago Manual of Style. Read the entire thing, practice with it, and master the fundamentals of grammar as best as you can. It will still be a tough road if you are not a native English speaker, but it is good practice for anyone. 

Write, then have this one guy point out ever, single, tiny, mistake you've ever made - try your best to repeat "Constructive criticism is good!" like a mantra, like if somebody comes into your room they'll see you sitting on the ground, cross-legged chanting "Constructive criticism is good!"

Fix every mistake he points out and hope, nay - pray that once he reaches the newest chapter he'll say "Damn, you've improved." but instead you see another list of mistakes, fix them and get back to your mantra.

With your spirit shattered and with a sudden lack of joy in your hobby, you consider building those cool boats in bottles - though you put a hell of a lot of effort to publish this much, maybe you told some relatives you're doing some writing and don't want them to laugh at you quitting already.

Until, one day, you decide to go and have a look at chapter one again, maybe you forgot something that you need to reference in the newest chapter, maybe you want to have a look at the mistake-free chapter, maybe you're wondering what you ever found so interesting about the story idea you came up with, you go to chapter one in hopes of finding some semblance of interest or enthusiasm you held for the story.

That's when you see, there are still mistakes, or that one sentence could have been written better... sure it's correct... but it feels off.
You're filled with excitement as you finally feel like you're improving, you got to chapter 17 and start writing and as you pound away at the keyboard you realise that your enthusiasm is... back... but only for a little while.

You post the chapter and see you got ten views, in a few days you get thirty - you start worrying it's from you just refresh the page.

You realise nobody made it through the other 16 chapters of your story, that the only person who made it this far is the guy who kept beating you over the head with every mistake you got until you started seeing them yourself.

And seeing the mess of a story before you, there are two options ahead.
And 9 out of 10 times, you will pick what the rest of us did, you make a new story - you'll love the concept, you'll feel that it's that one story that has "the thing". 

Until a month later you're getting ok reviews, one or two guys complain about grammar, but most say it alright... that one guy who points out mistakes didn't show up, and you're like 10 chapters in, you stop thinking he'll come.

You drop the story, you've been feeling like it's passible at best for a while now,  but like before - pride or the time spent stopped you from dropping it.

You look up some videos - "Coming up with a plot" "Writing good characters".
You google "fancy words to use" and keep a txt file with them, you'll forget about 90% of them but one or two will stick around.

you'll come up with five or ten or fifteen ideas, you realise you can't trust yourself not to drop them after a month.
you write out a draft, you like it a lot, it feels like the one, two unpublished chapters in you start seeing some mistakes, but you're still in the honeymoon phase, right?
No - you dig deeper, that night you delete 8k words because you saw them for what they were, an excuse to have something out there.

You plan again, and again, this time you only get a chapter done before you drop it, if even that much.
You start to think that you did the wrong thing, sure everybody complained before - but you had readers... 

But for a second you remember that second or third story with passible results, you realised it before but now you REALISE that that is in fact a big step forward, you write another story, massive, maybe you write over 100k words, and publish it in bits... but you realise that it's no it.

You'll reject this idea for a while, you've spent, what, a year, writing this? Are you a writer or a draft-intended-for-the-bin-writer.
But you pull through, you enjoy writing, you go back to the drafting phase.

You write out a few ideas, before writing anything you ask yourself, why is x there, what does y do, what is the z of the x, etc.
You feel ready, you think you have the story of a lifetime.

And you write it, it's not as popular as your old one, but that's alright - sure you want to expand, but you're happy with every follower, every favourite, you notice your review still mention grammar, but either in passing, like "If you  get over the grammar..." or "There are some spelling mistakes, but overall..."
You start thinking you got a shot at the ranking game, no just seeing if you're above 20k yet, but seeing yourself in the 10k group, then the 5k group, then the 3k group.

And you'll realise, this is all because this one guy complained about every little thing in your story, and you kept going over that one mantra not believing a single word of it, you knew it's objectively correct, but maybe you're exempt from its rules or something, you're not.

So, it's been a while, you're pretty far into your fiction and with unusually good reviews, you don't feel like you're bored of your story, in fact, it feels like you just keep getting deeper and deeper into writing, plots, arcs, character development. But you live in constant, paralyzing fear of the future you tell yourself is a lie, the fact that you won't be writing this story forever, the fact that it's not special, the fact that maybe you'll go back to dropping 10 stories before getting attached to one for another few months again.

Now, this is a story all about how My life got flipped-turned upside down And I'd like to take a minute Just sit right there I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Ai
In west Philadelphia born and raised On the playground was where I spent most of my days Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school When a couple of guys Who were up to no good Started making trouble in my neighborhood I got in one little fight and my mom got scared She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air' I begged and pleaded with her day after day But she packed my suite case and send me on my way She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket. I put my walkman on and said, 'I might as well kick it'. First class, yo this is bad Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass. Is this what the people of Bel-Air living like? Hmmmmm this might be alright. But wait I hear they're prissy, wine all that Is Bel-Air the type of place they send this cool cat? I don't think so I'll see when I get there I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air Well, the plane landed and when I came out There was a dude who looked like a cop standing there with my name out I ain't trying to get arrested I just got here I sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said 'FRESH' and it had dice in the mirror If anything I can say this cab is rare But I thought 'Now forget it' – 'Yo homes to Bel Air' I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later' I looked at my kingdom I was finally there To settle my throne as the Prince of Bel Air