Re: The Importance Of Leaving Reviews

Thedude3445 Wrote: I agree with Lillith and the OP.

I don't want, and try not to write, reviews that critique or try to "give feedback." I think there is a time and a place for reviews that try to help the author improve, and it's OK if the author themself is asking for it, but reviews are not supposed to be for the author in a direct way. They are supposed to be for other readers. Reviews are a guide to future onlookers as to whether or not they will try out the story in question, and that applies no matter whether your review is for a web novel, a movie, a music album, or anything. I think it's condescending to give feedback to an author who is not seeking it, because you assume they are an amateur who doesn't know what they are doing.

Personally, I would prefer that kind of review. I can agree with some parts of what you're saying, but must disagree with others.

A lot of the reviews I've received are either "I love it," with a mix of both upvotes and downvotes, or, "I hate it," with a mix of upvotes and downvotes. My fiction has some of the most mixed reviews that I've seen on this entire site.

But why?! Fucking why! Tell me why!

I understand what you mean when you say that there is a time and place for criticism. I love it more when people leave feedback in the comments, because that gives me a chance to engage with them in a dialogue, and actually understand what ways I need to improve myself.

But reviews that say they loved my fiction piss me off as much as reviews that say they hated it, because they rarely explain what made them feel that way. Both as a reader and a writer, these reviews mean nothing to me. They are ignorable, and worthless.

endoria Wrote: I often look for the reviews with less stars to get an honest opinion on a book/game/product. 
I also like to read bad reviews, because they can tell me things people did not like.

On RR it is often the case that stories on trending with 4+ starts have such atrocious grammar and writing, that I question the authenticity of the reviews that got it on trending int he first place. Not saying the stories shot get bombed with 1 star review, but with 1 star grammar/writing a story should not get any 4+ star reviews (especially those saying things like "great promise" and that is all there is to the review).

I do this a lot too. A 1 star review that explains why the person didn't like the fiction is going to be a lot more useful than someone who gives it a five star review and just says, "I loved it." The smae goes for 1 star reviews that only say, "I hated it." Any review that takes the time to give feedback is more useful, but negative reviews seem to do it most often.

Reviews are very important. Today I got a 2.5/5 rating on one of my books. It is the first rating I've gotten that low on any of my fictions. 

I don't mind it. At least it isn't that dreaded 0.5/5 for no reason at all. Someone seems to have clearly thought about the story, and then decided they were halfway about it. That is fine with me.

However, I'd still like to know why even if it is a couple of sentences so that I could maybe improve my writing to work better for this reader or readers in the future like them. Now all I have is that someone rated it 2.5. For some reason.

In a perfect world, I'd like reviews to be a requirement for rating, even if it is just a few words.

Please leave reviews, they're very helpful!

I can do nothing but agree with the initial post. I'm a little new to RR, but I am very big on leaving reviews in some form or fashion on every story I read now. It doesn't have to be long, even just a simple vote, a "good job on [this]", and help people feel that the time they have put into something was worth SOMETHING!
People write so that other people can enjoy something, or they may do it for self-validation. Either way, they didn't HAVE to keep the story in their head to daydream on. No, they put the TIME, ENERGY, and EFFORT into something for FREE. The least we can do is thank them for allowing us the oppurtunity to read a good story without spending $20+ at a bookstore.

The thing i have when wating to give feedback or writing a review is that i just dont feel aquedate or experienced enough to give something valuable.
So you question yourself if your point is valid, and by the end of the thoughtprocess, i decide to not write feedback. Choosing to be silent instead of giving bad advice.
I would consider saying 'keep up the good work' but never more than that. Rather motivate and accept i dont understand stories well enough for the real feedback.

Wumble Wrote: The thing i have when wating to give feedback or writing a review is that i just dont feel aquedate or experienced enough to give something valuable.
So you question yourself if your point is valid, and by the end of the thoughtprocess, i decide to not write feedback. Choosing to be silent instead of giving bad advice.
I would consider saying 'keep up the good work' but never more than that. Rather motivate and accept i dont understand stories well enough for the real feedback.

This is part of the whole thing I said when I first posted in this thread. The idea that readers are supposed to give feedback or critique a work is actively harming the number of readers who write reviews, because there's this underlying pressure to give advice on how to improve the story. This isn't something done on an Amazon product review or a Goodreads book review, so in general I do not think reviews on this site should be oriented on helping the author. Instead reviews should be readers helping other readers figure out whether or not they want to read the story. And something as short as filling in the blank for: "This story is good/bad. These are some things I liked. These are some things I didn't like." would help in that regard, I think.

Wumble Wrote: The thing i have when wating to give feedback or writing a review is that i just dont feel aquedate or experienced enough to give something valuable.

Reviews should be for other readers. 
In RoyalRoad if you want to directly interact with the author, you either comment or send a pm.
As a reader I pity you if you messed up your tag selection or kept delaying it for suspense. I do not go out of my way to give bad reviews, and i think most do the same by filtering them. 
But then you start reading and slowly you get a crescendo of a kreeping sense of discomfort, because the story might be headed onto topics you are not comfortable with. 
You feel betrayed, as if the author got a jump on you. Those small imperfections that you previously could ignore, start being a big deal. You want your time back and even if your are not prone to leaving reviews, you want to affirm you are not cool with the way the things went in the story. Those stories again i pity.

And stars alone should not be given the same importance as the ones with a review.

From my experience the past two months, as much as bad reviews and comments suck to read, they tend to help me identify weak points for my story that I can work on and improve. 

Not gonna pretend I'm thrilled that the two most popular reviews on my story are the most critical ones since I'd love for people to look past the bad reviews, but it's my first story ever. At worst, it gives me ideas to improve for the next story and at a minimum it gives me ideas to make THIS story better. 

And beyond that, reviews are for prospective readers to see what others liked and disliked about the story, not critique for the author, at least in my opinion. If they disliked the story for whatever reason, they have the right to say as much on a review or rating. 

Just my two cents

Agreed that reviews should be informative for readers. I try to work in commentary that's helpful for readers and authors alike. For improvement, I like to leave polite, constructive feedback in comments for the purpose of helping the author strengthen their story, whether grammatically or plot-wise. I know I love it when readers do the same for me. Note that even if there are significant criticisms, it is always more productive to phrase them constructively.

Vowron Wrote: Agreed that reviews should be informative for readers. I try to work in commentary that's helpful for readers and authors alike. For improvement, I like to leave polite, constructive feedback in comments for the purpose of helping the author strengthen their story, whether grammatically or plot-wise. I know I love it when readers do the same for me. Note that even if there are significant criticisms, it is always more productive to phrase them constructively.

Totally agree with that. Not always easy to hear, but even harsh criticism if told right is a giant help for me with my story. I had a comment that more or less said "Your MC's motivation is ridiculous, but THIS motivation you also introduced works much better." Which was a bit of a kick to the ego, but in hindsight is completely true and fits much better into my story. I'd prefer the criticism be constructive, but something I am trying to learn is use any criticism and try to turn it positive.