Re: Real World Drug Use in Stories?

I want to include drug use in my story, but don't want to break any terms and conditions.  It certainly won't be glamorized, just painted in the most honest light I can manage from my own experiences.  I have all the mature content boxes checked, thinking about it as a license to do whatever I want, but wasn't sure if this was going too far?

I don't want to encourage it nor discourage it, just tell it how it is and what it can become.  I've read a few stories on here with fictional drug references, but never with real-world ones.  I'd like to include both fictional and real drug use, but it would be a real shame to commit to that, only to have it flagged and have to go back and re-write everything.

Does anybody know if this is acceptable content?

Laurie Wrote: Drugs are fine. Most topics are acceptable to write about on RR, the only major restrictions being illegal/disturbing sexual content like pedophilia, bestiality, etc. Otherwise, as long as it is appropriately tagged, I think you're good to go.

There's a good forum post about what is allowed here, and you can check out the rules on explicit content in the FAQ.

Thanks! The definitions weren't specific enough for me to feel comfortable writing a story centered around drug abuse.  In my mind, an MC spending his days toasted and frying his body into oblivion to cope with a bizarre world is the only way an isekai characterization makes a lick of sense.

Edit: I give up on the quote blocks.

I guess it has to be ok actually. Just like someone said above, as soon as it is not disturbing sexual content like pedophilia then everything must be ok. However, I will tell you something that I mentioned recently, most of the stories that involve drug use, are not that realistic. The most realistic stories, are written by former addicts, who know all the atrocities of being a drug addict. I remember back when I was smoking a lot, I was at a coffee shop, and a certain dude actually gave me an article, which was insanely interesting. The author, was smoking a lot of getkush.io, and his story was described in a really depressive way.

My story features a magical drug, that slowly 'saps' the will of people. I also touch upon some other edge cases, like borderline pedophilia (well, more like a huge age difference and sick treatment of minors, but creepy as hell), as well as underage whoring and self harm, and some serious toxic parent / child relations. Everything is kept 'out of sight' but clearly hinted at.

If something is acceptable or not is NOT the use or act itself, it is...

a. how it is described (I opted for nothing explicit, no gore, no 'exchange of bodily fluids' to keep it in YA territory), and

b. how it is perceived (whoring, drug abuse, all those things should not be glorified, and even though I write an urban fantasy with a large action component the unavoidable deaths are not glorified embellishments, or at least I try them not to be)

Still, it can be hard. I'm only writing a novel with the pure purpose of entertaining the reader, but if you dive into deeper waters you may have to be more explicit.

As long as you don't give some examples of drug usage, which can influence others in a bad way, you should be okay with it. I don't see any reason to worry about. And it also depends on what drugs are you talking about. In my opinion, most of the drugs are dangerous and better to never use them, but weed is okay though. I buy weed online Canada all the time, and chill with my friends after work, or during the weekend while playing some games together. This is very cool, and I don't see anything bad in this.