Re: a nonprofanity...

'hussy' maybe? 'Hag'?

i researched for a minute, and came up with 'Ronyon'  meaning a  mangy woman old and scabby.  

'Bedswerver'  means an adultererand it was invented by Shakespeare

'DRIGGLE-DRAGGLE' is an untidy woman

the geman based animal insults were more popular everywhere back then 'cow' 'dog' 'mangy cat in heat'

Tomoyuki T Wrote: If that's the case, perhaps you should have provided some context in the first place instead of assuming people will check out your NaNoWriMo story and replying sarcastically to people who are only trying to help?

don't worry about it. it's not intended for anyone else but Vile. we have... somewhat of a complicated thing between us. though I do agree with the part about context. but you see, I'm a cynical person with mood swings. people might not like it, but I can't help being sarcastic...

april18 Wrote: yeah, if some girl cut off the head of your brother whom you cared about a lot, just calling her a 'stupid cow' would be a great expression of anger. I appreciate the suggestions, so thank you guys, but I left it as a wordless scream for now...

And how is calling her a female canine better in this regard?

Swearing never really makes sense. If happening in a situation of distress (which your description might fit, though it is quite over the top and might rather cause a loss of words), it usually just happens to be the most shameful disparaging words available to you (or rather the mentally reduced you that is actually acting there). So a realistic reaction was whatever the biggest insult is that that character knows of.

Depending on the character that might not be that complicated stuff, though. It really depends on what insults they have available. Especially in a fantasy world in some rural setting you might end up with cows, or perhaps something like oathbreaker or heretic or ...

You need to know insults to be able to swear. There is a reason why in former times only sailors were supposed to be able to properly swear.

Personally, in the context you described, depending on the character's personality and eliminating curse words I'd go with the "silent death stare" or like you were going with, the scream of rage. Unless you're an extremely "sheltered" individual who wasn't exposed to harsh language the "mild" insults just don't cut it. Personally for something not as extreme I've always liked "taffer" from the Thief franchise.

no, by mild I mean, still harsh enough, but not on the profanity level. just an expression of extreme fury if you would. and it's kind of an ongoing battle, so no time for a longwinded piece of dialogue. truly speaking though, I find 'you f*cking b*tch' to be the most appropriate, or just 'b*tch'...

In the context you described I'd think that would be totally understandable. You could use a "made up" curse for f*cking which would help make it more palatable. Some word you come up with particular to your world much like "taffer" I mentioned from the Thief franchise. Honestly I have no problem with profanity used at the right moment, it's a natural reaction. About 20 years ago I fell asleep behind the wheel coming down a mountain, woke up to the sound of gravel hitting the underside of the car as I was going off the road into a bunch of pine trees. All I did was yell "Oh F*ck!". Luckily the seat belt saved me from any major injury though the car was totaled. I later reflected that I really need to come up with some better last words than "Oh F*ck" but there you have it, an honest unscripted reaction in a crisis situation.