Re: What is your Rep worth

This is something between a discussion and a debate. What I’m interested in is what kind of person or behaviour on RR do you feel is worth giving Rep to? Do you give Rep to notable people when you see them in the forums? Do you give Rep for people who look like they properly try at things? People who contribute to intelligent conversation? People who help mediate between others? People who help engage the community with more enthusiasm? People who properly listen and answer questions?

What is worth giving Rep to?

Personally I use my rep to reward behaviour I would like to see more of.

This tends to come in the form of puns or witty commentary, but also in people who make an effort to be introspective and offer new theories to a fictions comment section or provide interesting outlooks in forums.

Most importantly though, I will always give it to people who are trying to maintain the great community this site has. If people are being unreasonably aggressive or mean in a comments section and they try to deal with that in some way, I'd like that person to know that their efforts are worth something.

If there was any occasion I tend to avoid giving rep it would be just because someone's popular or because they say stuff I agree with. Just because they are saying the words I believe doesn't mean they are right. To reward it would be to fall into the tribalism you see in party politics. (I am aware this point is kinda hypocritical to my previous ones but it's much more of a vague feeling than the physicality of these words I used to describe it.)

I’d think a pseudo tribalism with the Rep system is pretty hard to avoid, since it’s so reciprocal on a social level, but at the same time most RR readers are relatively anonymous and don’t follow each other around too much, so truly creating an isolated “tribe” on RR seems unlikely and/or impotent relative to the influence of the overall community.

Though I do like to be somewhat contrarians at times just for that reason anyway. I also like to be comprehensive, which automatically helps with avoiding extremism. I often like to give Rep to people who seem like they know how to be reasonable, and know how to properly listen and ask instead of only telling.

The worst the Rep might have on RR would likely be the author/reader dynamic, which even then could have been much worse if you could give to authors directly, since I have seen people with very large Rep scores they basically only got from one author. Other than that the entire system is quite amazing imo.

Usually when I approve of something others posted and want them to notice. It just feels right when someone wrote a long and on-point commentary of the chapter and I feel that writing a comment with 'that's right, or I agree' is kind of redundant when I can pop 1 rep and I want them to know.
Other cases are when someone is funny, has and a great idea, helped me or when Ï just feels like something they said had meaning.

So far I have three different mental categories for rep:  On the forums, in the comments of other peoples' stories; in the comments of my own work.

In the forums, I give rep for comments I think are very helpful, thought-provoking, and/or entertaining in the more-than-just-funny sense.

In the comments of other peoples' work, I give rep for things I find worthy of having skimmed the comments for. People who have made really insightful commentary on the work, people who've made really good bad puns (if done appropriately), and people who've been very kind/thoughtful (usually in respect to the author, the characters/extended to people in general, or even say kind/comforting things to other people commenting on the chapter who may have admitted to having a bad day or identifying strongly enough with a character who is having a rough time). I feel really good about repping those things. Then there are also the times people make a wish/prediction about something coming up and I have this knee-jerk yeah, me too! and rep 'em. I pretend I'm repping them for insightful commentary but I think there's also a secret part of me that's like I'm tossing a coin in a fountain and hope it pays off. 

In my own works... I haven't entirely committed to anything because I only recently started posting. But the intentions are to rep for any comment that provides more than a +1 - not because I wouldn't respect a "thanks for the chapter" or be flattered by a "first" but because it's not the sort of feedback that encourages me for more than a second, so I'd be trying to encourage the feedback that would.

Most importantly, things that make me laugh.
Secondly, reality based commentary even that which on an ideological level I find disagreement.
Third, that which I disagree with, but comes across as written by a genuine, passionate human being and not an agenda driven pod person monstrosity.
Fourth, anything anti-authoritarian from either side of the political divide. 

Oh, and yes, those who give good advice, and thoughtful commentary on the subject of writing.

I think it's clear from most people's comments here that people give rep to behaviours they wish to see more of.

For me that includes people that I think are being unfairly bashed (as a way to keep up their strength) and commenters who participate in chapters in the middle of a dump versus just the last chapter. This is in addition to general insight, jokes, or helpful comments (like answering questions or posting stats).

Just want to ping everyone in this thread to say that the value of Rep has really changed because of this last update.
New game-changing features:
  1. A comment repped by an author receives a huge gold star next to their name.
  2. The total amount of rep already given now appears in brackets next to a comment.
Now personally I think a lot of the changes caused by this will be behavioral and social but I'd like to hear others opinions on it first before tainting the opinions with the one I've already formed.

Endless Wrote: The worst the Rep might have on RR would likely be the author/reader dynamic, which even then could have been much worse if you could give to authors directly, since I have seen people with very large Rep scores they basically only got from one author. Other than that the entire system is quite amazing imo.

I didn't notice the value of the first rep I gave to a commenter on RRL, but the following post, when they commented again, I had to freeze my hands with how *crazy* it was that I could give them 5 whole rep points (and had infact already done that previously).

Don't remember what I did in the end, but it was absolutely a bit freaky for me.

Scarlust Wrote: Just want to ping everyone in this thread to say that the value of Rep has really changed because of this last update.
New game-changing features:
  1. A comment repped by an author receives a huge gold star next to their name.
  2. The total amount of rep already given now appears in brackets next to a comment.
Now personally I think a lot of the changes caused by this will be behavioral and social.....

I don't terribly see the purpose, if the amount of rep the author could give was the same as anyone else in the first place. Nobody deserves 5 'rep' at one single person's discretion for one singular post, no matter their relationship.

It isn't that I don't understand the intent: to reward people for commenting on stories, thereby driving 'engagement'. It's that I don't believe people need to stand to potentially gain '5 whole 'reputation' points' for commenting. 1's really enough to show 'acknowledgement' or 'appreciation', and a reply is surely even better. 

Giving people big golden stars to differentiate that the author themselves 'repped' a comment isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it's really obvious then when you've had approval from an author... however: it already tells them the name of the person who repped them, and if someone really wondered who gave them their reputation, they have but to look, surely?

It could have an effect of creating 'big fish' commenters in a 'commenting community' as it were... but I don't see why they should rise higher than anyone else or shine more than anyone else simply because the author 'deigned' to visit upon them a great big golden star. The rep number given besides it just seems like a useless way to rein in the 'kudos/like/rep-whoring' by making sure everyone else can see it, but it reeks of trying to fix a symptom of an unnecessary medicine: in the first place, being able to give 5 reputation to someone is just *unbelievable* from my perspective, and is likely very much behind the feeling people must have gotten to have felt the need to devise a strategy to 'fix' it. :)

@Vaerama

Well, I don’t think 5 rep is too much most of the time. You can get 3 or 5 rep from certain mods if they like your posts, or even 10 rep if they actually like your post.
Frankly the system is designed so thy authors are the “primary” source of reputation rather than being unnisually large a source among the other sources, in other words it encourages commenting and such. Forum discussions might be great, but author/reader interraction is the one that proved the most feedback to content creators and this has the largest impact on the site, since it can help encourage AND improve writing.
The apparently new star system to increase visibility is just a more public version of the messages in your Rep profile that anyone can see if they make the effort, and acts just as a further modifier to the same author/reader dynamic.

You might feel 5 rep is “unfair” but it’s only relative and these types of systems are sort of exponential (though this one is limited pretty well to not get too crazy). I do get most of my rep grants as +1 on forum posts and I do fine. Heck, I can even give +3 to wherever I want now with the rank I have. That might be unfair, but it’s an integral part of how the excitement behind the Rep system works. We like that increase in rep, it’s exciting, and beyond not letting hyperinflation happen that’s the entire purpose of the Rep system. Additionally, it’s too basic a thing on its own to really be its own game, and it’s still the actual comments and Rep messages that excite me most of all and not the Rep associated with them. It’s not artifically exciting on its own is my point, mostly because it’s too grindy to amuse me by itself. Whether I get +1 or +5 makes less difference to me than the fact I got some new Rep from a stranger who might have even left a message with it!

But that’s just me. There are one of two people who I’d say have an unfair amount of Rep fro what they seem to be doing it for, but it doesn’t bother me.
PeoReading