Re: Reviews only sorting by date. Isn't this a problem?

So I don't know if I'm just being an idiot or if this has already been posted about a lot, but I think the review priority needs work.

I usually look at reviews to see if I should give a fiction a go, and it's really silly that the first thing I see is the earliest review. Not only are these reviews probably not a good representative of where the author has actually taken the story (and how they might have improved on their own craft), there is as far as I can find no way to sort reviews by "negative" or "controversial" or "helpful".

If I'm wrong I'm an idiot, but let me know how to access this function if I'm just a blind bat or if I evidently barely know my way around a word doc. 

The real truth of the matter is that very few people are going to flip through pages upon pages of reviews and read each one carefully, or any of them for that matter. My experience is I pretty much just read the first few reviews and then move on.

Most of you probably would agree that high ratings don't mean that a fiction is good, and it definitely does not mean that it will fit your taste. Obviously a good review would help you orient yourself.

Often times I find myself turned away by the grammar/style or the mistakes of the first chapter, and if I could see a helpful review about whether that is representative of the whole work or if it changes etc. etc. I could make a better decision about whether or not the fiction is worth my time.

Not a coder, but this does not seem like the most difficult addition.

Re: Reviews only sorting by date. Isn't this a problem?

qal Wrote: So I don't know if I'm just being an idiot or if this has already been posted about a lot, but I think the review priority needs work.

I usually look at reviews to see if I should give a fiction a go, and it's really silly that the first thing I see is the earliest review. Not only are these reviews probably not a good representative of where the author has actually taken the story (and how they might have improved on their own craft), there is as far as I can find no way to sort reviews by "negative" or "controversial" or "helpful".

If I'm wrong I'm an idiot, but let me know how to access this function if I'm just a blind bat or if I evidently barely know my way around a word doc.

The ratings are arranged according to the votes they receive. Very limited yes.

qal Wrote: The real truth of the matter is that very few people are going to flip through pages upon pages of reviews and read each one carefully, or any of them for that matter. My experience is I pretty much just read the first few reviews and then move on.

The truth of the matter is, there is nothing you can do about it. No matter how you arrange the reviews, people would tend to only read the first few. Allowing the readers to change the arrangement doesn't change this; they will tend to only read the first few. No one would bother to read all the reviews.

qal Wrote: Most of you probably would agree that high ratings don't mean that a fiction is good, and it definitely does not mean that it will fit your taste. Obviously a good review would help you orient yourself.

Often times I find myself turned away by the grammar/style or the mistakes of the first chapter, and if I could see a helpful review about whether that is representative of the whole work or if it changes etc. etc. I could make a better decision about whether or not the fiction is worth my time.

A feature to rearrange the reviews according to some criteria is not going to help you with this. The better action that you could take is to check random chapters especially the later chapters. If they are still full of grammar mistakes then most likely the whole fiction has this problem.

qal Wrote: Not a coder, but this does not seem like the most difficult addition.

You can go to suggestion: Menu:Help>Suggestions. It is like a forum dedicated to user suggestions.