Re: Opening a small writing group...

I have been in a writing group before and have found when it is a small group of people all working in the same genre and together my work and theirs gets substantially better, as such I am making one. I am looking for three or four other people who write fantasy(epic, dark, high or what have you but no Litrpg)

I want this group to be for people who want to either get published or self publish and are willing to work for it and work together to improve everyone’s writing. I have self published several novels(under a pen name) and so while I can not say I am an expert I have done it once or twice so if I can help ask.

Now, for the group’s rules:

Workshopping rules 

1. Be descriptive not proscriptive -(look for places you were confused as a reader, not places where you say I know what you should do here) just remember it is not your book and that everyone has a different writing style.

2. Stay positive-( critical reviews and opinions are not only welcomed but also encouraged, so long as you point out flaws and give solutions and don’t just drag others down) share what is positive so that your fellow author knows what he or she is doing right as well as what they are doing wrong.

3. Discuss- we will be setting up a gdoc for every novel so that people can discuss topics as well as exchanging Skype numbers. Talk about what works, what doesn’t and why.

4. Don’t defend it- when someone is reading your work let them read and give their honest opinion about your work without your input, this is the best way to see what works and what does not. Your defense of the book while they read could change initial impressions and be damaging. Your goal is to get feedback from the writing group, not to convince them that you are a great writer.

5. Submit a minimum of a chapter a week- this one is crucial, submitting more is fine, submitting less is not(barring unforeseen events) if you miss too many then you will be out of the group.

6. Have fun, and be professional.

I might be interested. I write high/epic fantasy without any sort of game/RPG elements, and I'm looking to self-publish within the next couple years. (Finishing the whole trilogy before publishing the first book.)

The only downside is that my current WIP is a sequel, so I would need to start with the the first book in that series. I finished the first book about a year ago, so there are already things I would change. However, I'm still looking to re-write it in the future so more feedback is always welcome.

Wrote: I might be interested. I write high/epic fantasy without any sort of game/RPG elements, and I'm looking to self-publish within the next couple years. (Finishing the whole trilogy before publishing the first book.)

The only downside is that my current WIP is a sequel, so I would need to start with the the first book in that series. I finished the first book about a year ago, so there are already things I would change. However, I'm still looking to re-write it in the future so more feedback is always welcome.

That would be up to you, personally, I would but like I said it is not my book. if you decide you want to join send me a pm and ill get you the link to the google docs folder and we can start looking at what times work for everyone.

Mejiro Wrote: Just to check, so it's basically a small, more in-depth review group, reading up each other's work for feedback and responses?  I am doing some fantasy, but it's more on the low-action, social side rather than more normal action-fantasy.

essentially yes, it's like having a group of beta readers who give a chapter by chapter feedback of your first draft. That way when the second draft is being rewritten you have a wealth of feedback. It also encourages productivity as there is a deadline to meet every week.

As for your novel that is perfectly fine, one of my favorite books is the curse of chalion and that has very little action in but is still one of the best fantasy novels ever written IMO.

Wrote: I'd join ya'll, but you need some competition. namely, me and Zeth.

competition? Psh, yeah right it’s not like many read my novels anyway. I’m pretty sure your novels outclass my own in terms of readership, I am lucky to get 100 readers per chapter on song of Helheim and apparently song of Esamir isn’t interesting enough, idk only 30 on the first chapter and 5 on the one I posted today(yes I know it is new and I have to wait but I was hoping the cover would draw in at least 50 readers for the first chapter I spent a lot of time on it lol)but whatever, so long as one person reads my work and enjoys it I will keep on trucking, after all this is as much for me as it is for them lol.

Mejiro Wrote: I'd be interested in this, when were you thinking of starting?  (I'm a bit busy for the next week or two)

we will be starting once we get enough members, so far for sure it is me, you(if you still want to join) and David Musk. If we don’t get anyone else who wants to join in the next couple of days then we will start with the three of us whenever it is convenient for everyone in the group, though I would like at least one more person if not two.

Wrote:

competition? Psh, yeah right it’s not like many read my novels anyway. I’m pretty sure your novels outclass my own in terms of readership, I am lucky to get 100 readers per chapter on song of Helheim and apparently song of Esamir isn’t interesting enough, idk only 30 on the first chapter and 5 on the one I posted today(yes I know it is new and I have to wait but I was hoping the cover would draw in at least 50 readers for the first chapter I spent a lot of time on it lol)but whatever, so long as one person reads my work and enjoys it I will keep on trucking, after all this is as much for me as it is for them lol.

Eh, Competition in the reviewing part, not have a D-measuring competition over viewer count. XD.

Wrote:
Wrote:

Eh, Competition in the reviewing part, not have a D-measuring competition over viewer count. XD.

I will have you know my Di- (jk jk,) but in all honesty, there is nothing for it, I like it so I am going to keep writing lol, and people will read if they want to.

I am pretty much an amateur, and not very active online either. my completed works include two short stories(one of which is lost due to ants, another is in editing) a dozen or so poetry. although I do wish to get published(self or traditional doesn't matter right now) in the future, my current goal is to improve my craft. currently, I am working on a fantasy. I am a procrastinator and feeling the need for a push. if this is acceptable to you, I'd also like to join. 

april18 Wrote: I am pretty much an amateur, and not very active online either. my completed works include two short stories(one of which is lost due to ants, another is in editing) a dozen or so poetry. although I do wish to get published(self or traditional doesn't matter right now) in the future, my current goal is to improve my craft. currently, I am working on a fantasy. I am a procrastinator and feeling the need for a push. if this is acceptable to you, I'd also like to join.

If you think you can do a chapter a week then sure, I’ll send you a link to the gdoc after I get off of work.