Re: Feedback on my cover pls

I have just decided on one story I have planned and have started truly writing it, as is my way I made a cover for it as it makes it feel more official to me. And I notice a marked increase in productivity for whatever reason due to having a cover over not(idk I'm weird like that)

Anyway, I just finished it and was wondering if I could get some feedback on it? Thanks in advance.

https%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fdownload%2FXCZq5T2

Not only is this good, but it's so good it would be one of the ones that impress me the most if I had seen it in an actual book store. The radial lines coming out of the sun really draws your focus to where it matters, which is both the character's face and the title of the book. The lady reminds me of some of those stylistic book art styles or some kind of comic, which is a good thing. It is beautiful overall, I like the star sparkles and how they turn the sun radiance into something interesting to look at. The golden clouds also take up enough empty space at the edges that they redirect my focus away from the margins even more.

The upper portion of the Z for your name is partially obscured by blending into the colour of the art, so maybe give that a shadow. There's also a white line at the bottom. Small issues. I love the texture you've achieved in the colours, like in the blue or the golden clouds/waves at the sides. Frankly, it already looks like it's on a printed book in my eyes. This is only my opinion as a guy who stares at books. You should also consider that RR has a blurry cover image, so what it looks like on here might disappoint you, but for most other sites this would amaze me. It might even still amaze me blurred on RR.

Wrote: Not only is this good, but it's so good it would be one of the ones that impress me the most if I had seen it in an actual book store. The radial lines coming out of the sun really draws your focus to where it matters, which is both the character's face and the title of the book. The lady reminds me of some of those stylistic book art styles or some kind of comic, which is a good thing. It is beautiful overall, I like the star sparkles and how they turn the sun radiance into something interesting to look at. The golden clouds also take up enough empty space at the edges that they redirect my focus away from the margins even more.

The upper portion of the Z for your name is partially obscured by blending into the colour of the art, so maybe give that a shadow. There's also a white line at the bottom. Small issues. I love the texture you've achieved in the colours, like in the blue or the golden clouds/waves at the sides. Frankly, it already looks like it's on a printed book in my eyes. This is only my opinion as a guy who stares at books. You should also consider that RR has a blurry cover image, so what it looks like on here might disappoint you, but for most other sites this would amaze me. It might even still amaze me blurred on RR.

Thank you! I always post the cover img on the first chapter before the book starts so that readers can see it. The line at the bottom is due to me taking a screenshot of the img on my phone to post here and Not cropping it correctly my bad lol. The original is more than double the resolution . 

I plan on publishing this novel on Amazon(this is the 11th novel I have written but only the second one under my real name)

Thanks for pointing out the Z ill fix that asap.

Ral Wrote: Quite good. Great use of the classical blue and gold color scheme. The overall illustration reminds me of a tarot card, specifically the Etteilla Tarot Deck or older, especially the  medieval feel of the whole thing.

If I have to crit, then I would point to the text, the sun and the sparkles. I had medieval illustration inspired style in mind and these elements looks out of place in terms of style and color.

The sun just looks like a typical retro sunburst that you will find in the 1980s  and doesn't really fit with the more medieval inspired elements. The egg-yolk yellow doesn't help. A more typical medieval halo would be a better fit for the style.

On the same vein is the splatter. It is not how typical medieval illustration do stars.They don't really do splatters. They tend to arrange the stars in an orderly pattern.

The text is more modern style too and looks out of place with the rather Christian tones of the cover. Insular, a font more associated with ancient christian text (or other such kind of fonts) might work much better.

Still overall, a nice solid image. A stand out cover to say the least.

Thanks for the feed back ill have to try the text specifically. I rather like the background and as the image is just that a painted image and not a series of layers I would need to redo practically the whole thing to change the background.

Nice cover, the drawn-illustration style of the image used really sets the tone of the book well (according to a clear expectation I mean). I noticed that you rather like this font since I saw it in your other story. xD

My only small criticism is the color of the title since it matches the color of the sun behind it. Although the shadows help in making it stand out enough to read, it's still a little hard, especially considering when it's in the thumbnail format as opposed to this full sized cover. I wonder if using another color within the cover would be better in making it stand out, perhaps with that gold orange, or even the gray-purple-blue at the tips of the hair and clothes. The yellow is already very prominent in the cover, so balancing with the other lesser seen colors might balance it as well as make those colors stand out more.

Within the same line, the author name could alternatively be moved down fully into the black as another person already pointed out that the top of the Z blends in with the bag. If more black space is needed to balance out the author name spacing from the bottom of the cover, it wouldn't be too difficult to copy paste a small section of the bottom in order to lengthen it. I often do this and meld into the rest of the picture by matching the obvious lines (like the black of the cape/outfit in this instance) and blur the rest (like the orange clouds) where the copy and original meet.

Chryiss Wrote: Nice cover, the drawn-illustration style of the image used really sets the tone of the book well (according to a clear expectation I mean). I noticed that you rather like this font since I saw it in your other story. xD

My only small criticism is the color of the title since it matches the color of the sun behind it. Although the shadows help in making it stand out enough to read, it's still a little hard, especially considering when it's in the thumbnail format as opposed to this full sized cover. I wonder if using another color within the cover would be better in making it stand out, perhaps with that gold orange, or even the gray-purple-blue at the tips of the hair and clothes. The yellow is already very prominent in the cover, so balancing with the other lesser seen colors might balance it as well as make those colors stand out more.

Within the same line, the author name could alternatively be moved down fully into the black as another person already pointed out that the top of the Z blends in with the bag. If more black space is needed to balance out the author name spacing from the bottom of the cover, it wouldn't be too difficult to copy paste a small section of the bottom in order to lengthen it. I often do this and meld into the rest of the picture by matching the obvious lines (like the black of the cape/outfit in this instance) and blur the rest (like the orange clouds) where the copy and original meet.

I do really like that font, it has some flair to it but it dosesn't look to crazy. I'll try different colors for the text and I will add a drop shadow to the Z to make it stand out more, we will see what it looks like.
Thanks for the feedback