Re: I got my first 0.5 rating and now I'm sad.

Atom777 Wrote: Any ideas on how to get views? I got none so far.

How many days have you been posting your fic for? Try for a decent cover and have a good Synopsis ready. Other than that, be active around the forums and try going to the discord and having a chat or two. All in all, try promoting yourself a bit without being too intrusive...

Doesn't look like anyone's posted here in a while but, got my first .5 rating yesterday and I'm sad. It took my story's average rating down by like .15 points and down in the rankings about 500 places. Even though I been getting a lot of positive and constructive feedback (I got a 3 star review but I actually appreciate it because the comment wasn't negative and pointed out a flaw in my story that I am seriously reconsidering) it still hurts.

Writing Wrote: Doesn't look like anyone's posted here in a while but, got my first .5 rating yesterday and I'm sad. It took my story's average rating down by like .15 points and down in the rankings about 500 places. Even though I been getting a lot of positive and constructive feedback (I got a 3 star review but I actually appreciate it because the comment wasn't negative and pointed out a flaw in my story that I am seriously reconsidering) it still hurts.

You learn with time to eventually not give a fuck. The bad readers that like to whine/bitch/low rate stuff are just unfortunately much louder than the good ones that praise and follow your work. Once you realize that they’re the minority, you start to not care about them as much.

I recently got a .5 on both my stories out of nowhere, but it’s probably from the guy who I blocked a day or so ago because he was commenting on my stories like I was writing solely to appease his interests, and when it didn’t read how he wanted, he started cursing and being obnoxious.

In the end? I don’t care about him. He wasn’t paying me, and I already have an audience to satisfy. You’ll get over it, just take it slow.

I remember something Adam Conover said. In the context of one of the clips from his videos... I'm going to make up the numbers because I don't remember them exactly, but it was something like "There were 70,000 likes and 10,000 dislikes". He focused on the dislikes for a little while until he realized that it was still 70,000 people that he had uplifted with his information. It's the better, more relevant number.

I see a lot of people commiserate with you here, and over all, your ranking is fairly high, so I wouldn't be overly sad with your treatment. As they say, you can't win 'em all. Just this morning, I saw a notice that ratings were to be "rearranged" or something over the next three days. Shrug. My top work fell about , dunno, say 120 slots all of a sudden after floating plus minus about three ranks for the last three months. As I add about 1000 reads a month to that one, I really don't care. It gets read, Which makes me happy in some odd way.  But I don't look at it as a game. People don't rank it, so much as read it. Good enough for me.

I go over a few of the chapters every so often and make small improvements, though not as often as I likely should.  Otherwise, Meh.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I get 1-3 0.5stars every other day. My story was bombarded with them before I ever got my first 5 star. I started with a 2.08 star overall rating which I had to claw my way up to my current rating of 3.07 at 155 total ratings. 5stars is my majority along with 81 favourites is what keeps me going.

I admit that it was demotivating, but I had already written a huge amount of chapters that needed to be released and seeing followers and encouraging comments despite my rank that has never made it past 5k for more than an hour was enough encouragement for me to continue writing more. The readers in discord are also a great help because I don't want to quit and let them down. 

I'll add to the necro.

I've gotten used to the .5 stars.  For every fifty followers and five favorites I pick up, I can count on a .5 star rating.

I've just come to accept it.  My first chapter is controversial, and even though it's really the only one, I'll pick up a few new viewers, and one of them will trigger, drop a .5 start, and never read the other 200,000 words.

Nothing for it, and I console myself by knowing that at least the people who keep reading aren't children.