Re: asking cause i'm kinda paranoid

april18 Wrote: is google docs safe enough? I am not going to lose my files suddenly because of a computer malfunction or something, am I? or are there other mediums to keep my files safe enough?

Safety through redundancy. Never have your important data just in one place. By all means, use Google Docs - but also use a local copy AND put it on a USB stick AND mail it to yourself each evening. Get into a routine of doing this every day and everytime you've cracked a milestone. Every single one of those vectors can be compromised. Yes that includes Google Docs - depending on what you write, it might get caught in automated content filters for example, or someone spams reports on you.

It takes at most 2 minutes but it'll prevent hours (best case) or months of damage. Don't laze out on backups. Just don't.

Google docs is relatively great because Google spends a lot of money making sure your data is backuped everywhere.

But safety is great:

1) The local copy makes sure that if your external drive fails or your cloud provider has issues, you have a copy
2) The external drive makes sure that if your computer dies, you have a copy
3) The cloud solution makes sure that if your house burns, you have a copy that hasn't burned out along with the computer and the external drive
4) The email solution makes sure that, if you get a ransomware that has encrypted your local copy, the cloud version and the external drive backup, you still have an unencrypted one (even better if the email is not from the same company that provide you with the cloud version)

4 is mostly useless now, since there's no instance of ransomware that will encrypt your google docs (yet), and if you have a cloud backup on cloud storage, you can usually recover a previous copy from before the ransomware's assault.

LittleSettler Wrote:
Felias Wrote: Safety through redundancy. Never have your important data just in one place. By all means, use Google Docs - but also use a local copy AND put it on a USB stick AND mail it to yourself each evening.

Oh, hell. I thought you meant physical mail.

Right, bad wording on my part. I sometimes forget physical mail still exists, despite using it frequently. Yeah, I meant e-mail.

Frankly there are thousands of solutions to cloud storage.
Some that were  listed already and unless you're a journalist or activist then it's safe.
other less healthier sites can also store backups.
dropbox has been hacked numerous times but its still fairly safe for most purposes.
other ways are to use encryption software's to scramble if you need to secure your files then cloud store them.

let's face true reality its a book not nations secrets so stop letting the fear mongers win.